The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
frankyjoet

Red face new wiring in my 73 gmc 2500

Just bought a complete new wiring set with spade fuses. Need help and pics with wiring for alternator. The old wiring had a 2 wire connector plug on the alternator. Also, there is a screw with wires on the alternator that are connected to the fuse block. The wiring set is newer technology and has all the necessary connections. But first, i want to start with the alternator. I want to use my old power block on the firewall as it is useful for distributing power to different areas. thanks in advance. frank
frankyjoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Robert8096

Re: new wiring in my 73 gmc 2500

Where did you buy the wiring harness, do they not have a TECH line? I am looking at this one from Painless. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-10205/

There is a link to the instructions on that page and it includes setup of the alt. Maybe that will help you out.

Good Luck
Robert8096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
frankyjoet

Hi Robert, this was bought on ebay at a very good price. I have a booklet that came with the kit. The setup is for chevy,ford and mopar. The instructions are ok, but would like to keep some of the old wiring methods. Thanks
frankyjoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
SeanPaintsFlames

I've done the exact thing twice before, and I found it as an opportunity to get a one-wire alternator. It cleans up the engine bay a bunch, and you don't have to fool with the old-new issues. You can use the block connectors, just as long as you can find the pin connectors (which has always deterred me from doing such) and splice all the new and oh-so colorful wires at that point. Why not just use the big grommet that came with the kit and run the wires down lower? You can leave the block connector just stuck in the square hole, or patch it. With all the extra time, effort, and frustration you're going to spend trying to make it look factory, you very well may get half-way into it and wish you'd have just spent the additional $200 for a painless kit!

That being said, I just ordered an EZ Wiring kit for my 80 project last night!!

Last edited by SeanPaintsFlames; 02-24-2011 at 06:14 AM.
SeanPaintsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Robert8096

I would do a Internet search for a wiring diagram for your 2500 then take some time looking over both and decide what you want to keep of the old harness and make your own wiring diagram with the new/old harness.

[QUOTE=SeanPaintsFlames;4509693That being said, I just ordered an EZ Wiring kit for my 80 project last night!![/QUOTE]

I getting ready to pull the trigger and order my Painless kit. Painless has a 100.00 buck rebate going on and I have a bunch of AN fittings left over from my fuel cell install that I need to return to Summit. Between the rebate and the return I am using that to justifiy the Painless kit. That is what I told the wife. That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!
Robert8096 is offline   Reply With Quote