The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
gopokes

Serial data wire?

So I got my wiring harness reworked and sent all of the things I needed wires for to the company up front. When I got the harness back I was happy with the looks, and even hooked it up and started the engine just to make sure I didn't get a lemon. It started and ran fine, but now I am getting ready to do all of the actual wiring, and noticed they didn't put a drop for the serial data line. Or maybe I am just looking at it wrong, because none of them are labeled "serial data". Am I correct in my understanding that the signal for the coolant temp, oil pressure, and voltage comes from the "serial data" wire?

I have the following lines labled, and was thinking one of them might also be the "serial data" wire I'm looking for. Sorry for the long question, and thanks for any help you can give me!

-Brake switch (for torque converter lockup)
-Stop lamp switch
-Malfunction control output
-Goes to tach (puts out 4 cylinder signal)
-Fuel pump relay control
-Vehicle speed sensor output (to speedometer)
-OBDII data port
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Re: Serial data wire?

Serial data goes into your OBDII port where you can read it with a scanner.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Serial data goes into your OBDII port where you can read it with a scanner.
I was told by another company that does wire harness mods that that the serial data line is where that info comes from going to the gauges. So does the line that I have labeled "OBDII data port" double as the out for the oil pressure ect?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
usmcchevy

Ok, now I get what you are trying to do (camaro Gauge cluster). Yes you will have to T off the OBDII data wire to your gauges.

LSx Swap FAQ index
Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Ok, now I get what you are trying to do (camaro Gauge cluster). Yes you will have to T off the OBDII data wire to your gauges.
Sweet, thanks for the help! I have been trying to get into contact with the company that did it for me, but can't get a response. I'm glad I have this place to come get some answers! Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Super73

I'm not sure that is entirely true.. If I am correct, some of the guages come off the body control module, such as oil pressure. That is why you can not get oil pressure to scan on any data loger like HP tunres. Oil is the only on I can think of off the top of my head.

Here is a full pin out for both Red and Blue connectors. This might help guide you on things that you don't find wired up.

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/2002pcm.htm
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
usmcchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
I'm not sure that is entirely true.. If I am correct, some of the guages come off the body control module, such as oil pressure. That is why you can not get oil pressure to scan on any data loger like HP tunres. Oil is the only on I can think of off the top of my head.

Here is a full pin out for both Red and Blue connectors. This might help guide you on things that you don't find wired up.

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/2002pcm.htm
Very true, I forgot about the BCM.

LSx Swap FAQ index

Last edited by usmcchevy; 02-24-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopokes View Post
So I got my wiring harness reworked and sent all of the things I needed wires for to the company up front. When I got the harness back I was happy with the looks, and even hooked it up and started the engine just to make sure I didn't get a lemon. It started and ran fine, but now I am getting ready to do all of the actual wiring, and noticed they didn't put a drop for the serial data line. Or maybe I am just looking at it wrong, because none of them are labeled "serial data". Am I correct in my understanding that the signal for the coolant temp, oil pressure, and voltage comes from the "serial data" wire?

I have the following lines labled, and was thinking one of them might also be the "serial data" wire I'm looking for. Sorry for the long question, and thanks for any help you can give me!

-Brake switch (for torque converter lockup)
-Stop lamp switch
-Malfunction control output
-Goes to tach (puts out 4 cylinder signal)
-Fuel pump relay control
-Vehicle speed sensor output (to speedometer)
-OBDII data port
Coolant temp, Tach, Fuel level, get their signals from the Serial data line.
Oil pressure signal comes direct from the oil pressure sensor.
Speedo get its signal from the VSS output from the PCM.
The Volt gauge just reads the ignition voltage supplied to the instrument cluster.

In the stock app. the "engine speed signal" out of the PCM goes to the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) NOT to the Tach.

The Body Control Module controls the Anti Theft, Lighting, door locks, etc.

Heres some diagrams.
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
gopokes

Thanks for the help with this guys, when it comes to wiring I am totally lost. Luckily my brother is around to help me out a little bit. We got everything hooked up to the gauges last night and fired her up. The only thing we didn't get a reading for was oil pressure. We were hooking it up directly into the tan wire coming off the oil pressure sending unit, but still got nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
If I am correct, some of the guages come off the body control module, such as oil pressure. http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/2002pcm.htm
So if this is true, am I going to be able to get oil pressure without having a BCM? Thanks again for the help guys, the diagrams helped a bunch, helped my brother at least.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
ls1nova71

Are you actually have oil pressure? How long did it run? I've seen alot of no pressure problems on first start up when the oil pick up tube has been replaced/removed. A small pinch in that o ring can cause that. Just a heads up.
Posted via Mobile Device
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Are you actually have oil pressure? How long did it run? I've seen alot of no pressure problems on first start up when the oil pick up tube has been replaced/removed. A small pinch in that o ring can cause that. Just a heads up.
Posted via Mobile Device
The gauges did not show any pressure, but I think it is just because of the wiring issues I am having. It only ran for less than a minute or so.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
ls1nova71

Quote:
The gauges did not show any pressure, but I think it is just because of the wiring issues I am having. It only ran for less than a minute or so.
Ok, cool. Let's hope.that's all it is, because that's an easy fix. I was just throwing that out there to be aware of it, because I've seen it several times. Don't want to start out by toasting your engine.

Posted via Mobile Device
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
gopokes

Anyone have any other ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
clinebarger

Are you using a F-body oil pressure sender?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Are you using a F-body oil pressure sender?
No, everything on the engine is factory. Does the F-body sender send a different signal? From this diagram of the Tahoe gauges it shows the info coming from the serial data line. This stuff is so confusing to me.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
clinebarger

Quote:
No, everything on the engine is factory. Does the F-body sender send a different signal? From this diagram of the Tahoe gauges it shows the info coming from the serial data line. This stuff is so confusing to me.
Yeah there different, Swap in a F-body one & wire it directly to the cluster, You will also need the connector.
This is what the connector looks like.
Attached Images

Last edited by clinebarger; 03-15-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
gopokes

Quote:
Yeah there different, Swap in a F-body one & wire it directly to the cluster, You will also need the connector.
So I can just swap the F-body sender in? It just sends a different type of signal or something? Not trying to question you, just want to make sure I do it right. Also will it make a difference that the 02 Camaro is a 5.7, and my engine is a 5.3?

Last edited by gopokes; 03-15-2011 at 02:02 PM.
gopokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
clinebarger

Quote:
So I can just swap the F-body sender in? It just sends a different type of signal or something? Not trying to question you, just want to make sure I do it right. Also will it make a difference that the 02 Camaro is a 5.7, and my engine is a 5.3?
Just a different signal, The 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 & 6.0 are in the same engine family so the 5.7 sender will screw right into the 5.3.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
gopokes

It seems like there were 3 wires coming off the stock one. Will that throw off my computer if I don't have those other two wires going to it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
gopokes

Quote:
Well, I did what you said, and it worked perfectly! Thanks for the help.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
imsuchaman55

I am doing this cluster in my 5.3 swap, but am a little confused on how you got everything to work. I understand the Speedo and tach go from the pcm directly to cluster, and the oil pressure comes from the F body oil press sending unit, but how did you guys get the water temp and voltage? Did the data port have individual wires in it that you were able to splice into? I have been looking at the above diagrams, but all it seems to show is the data port going into the cluster. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
imsuchaman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #22
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsuchaman55 View Post
I am doing this cluster in my 5.3 swap, but am a little confused on how you got everything to work. I understand the Speedo and tach go from the pcm directly to cluster, and the oil pressure comes from the F body oil press sending unit, but how did you guys get the water temp and voltage? Did the data port have individual wires in it that you were able to splice into? I have been looking at the above diagrams, but all it seems to show is the data port going into the cluster. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm pretty sure they all hook to the data port wire coming from my wiring harness. I can try to check tonight, it's been quite a while since I messed with that stuff.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
imsuchaman55

sorry to bother you about this again, but when you wired your cluster, were you able to get the odometer screen to illuminate without having your serial data wire connected? I have mine all wired up, but cant get anything for the odometer screen, tach or water temp. I dont know if its a voltage issue or if the cluster wont work without the serial data wire sending a signal. Im so close to having everything working correctly, but everything that runs from this one wire seems to be messing me up.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsuchaman55 View Post
sorry to bother you about this again, but when you wired your cluster, were you able to get the odometer screen to illuminate without having your serial data wire connected? I have mine all wired up, but cant get anything for the odometer screen, tach or water temp. I dont know if its a voltage issue or if the cluster wont work without the serial data wire sending a signal. Im so close to having everything working correctly, but everything that runs from this one wire seems to be messing me up.
I did have everything working with the exception of the fuel gauge, haven't even tried that yet. Here is a video of when I had it running.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
imsuchaman55

The more I look around and read about it, the more I think its a voltage issue. When I turn my key on, the volt meter goes up, but none of the lights on the left side of the cluster light up, and the odometer window doesnt light up. I was getting the power from the fuel gauge feed, and it must not have been enough to power everything. Im going to wire it up direct and see how it works.

For the fuel gauge, we took the internals of the original 68 cluster, removed the needle, and epoxied it into the camaro cluster, then put the camaro needle on. I had to run 3 wires out of the side of the cluster for the fuel gauge. Ground, fuel gauge feed, and signal wire. But it works good and much easier than trying to make the stock fuel gauge work.