The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
1984 t type

Trans swap questions

I am about to pull out my manual transmission and swap over to a 700R4. My question is what parts will I need off of the doner truck that i have? So far I figured that I will need the transfer case due to the different spline count and also the front and rear drive shafts, but is that it? Or are there other parts I'm missing like brackets or what not? This will be my first time doing this so any and all help is appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
silverbullet01

Re: Trans swap questions

u'll need to change your steering column, the flywheel on your motor, and shifting linkage.. selling the 4 speed?
silverbullet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
1984 t type

Its already spoken for but I will keep you in mind
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
4pilgrim4

I went the other way with a 78 Chev 4x pickup a bunch of years ago.

I was able to relocate the original cross member, but had to add a spacer because the manual transmission was smaller in diameter. The rear drive line needed to be shortened, as I remember, but the spline in the front drive line was long enough to accommodate the slight change of position. This wasn't a 700R4, but a TH350 to SM465 swap.

I would have done the same thing to my 83 diesel Jimmy as the 700R4 has been very unreliable in that application, but since I used that vehicle in my business towing a refrigerated cargo trailer I couldn't afford the down time to make the changeover. I think if I were to gather up all my transmission rebuild receipts, it would likely total more than I paid for the Jimmy.

That is all water under the bridge. By now the after market guys have done the engineering for Generous Motors and if you can find a shop that is up on all the upgraded parts, your reliability hopefully will be better than mine. I never came close to wearing out clutches. It was the hard parts that broke. Then pieces and shavings circulated through the transmission rendering the whole mess unrepairable.

Last time it broke down in LA. I managed to get to a small shop in Pomona that knew their stuff and it has been OK for about 50K miles since then. I would like to buy a new Silverado, but am not about to trade my hard-earned money for any truck with an automatic transmission. I've just been burnt too many times to ever want an automatic in a pickup again.

I wouldn't wish my 700R4 experience on anyone. Good luck.
4pilgrim4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
silverbullet01

if you have a 700R4 in it, the cross member for that and the 4 speed should be the same, if i remember right, and the 4 speed in a half ton takes a 2 piece shaft, i dunno about in a suburban/
silverbullet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
89 crewcab

I know this thread is a few months old, but I am not sure where to post my question.
I have a 1989 3500 3x3, it has a 350, turbo 400, and is 4x4. I am not sure which transfer case it is, it is all stock except a 4" lift. I have a getrag 290 5 speed out of a 90 something chevy 1500 with a 350 and 4x4. Does anyone know what I would need (other than donor clutch assembly) to install this 5spd in my truck ?
89 crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote