The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
CuStO67

Newbie needs help

Hey guys im new to the forum. I am building my dad a 67 c10 for his birthday coming up in march and we have been working on it for 5 or 6 months now and now that we are working on the motor i am running into a problem. (of course) Ive been doing a ton of research on here and im sure that this question has been asked a million times but i want to get some opinions. I have a 67 swb that has a sb 327 out of a chevelle or a camaro and it has a 2 speed powerglide out of a 68 something or other. My question is that is horrible on gas and im wondering if just changing the gears in the rear end to something else like a 3.08 or somthing of that line will give it a little better street drive ability? I also have been told that i need a th350 or a 700r4? Just trying to save my self a little cash if i could just do some new gears or something easy like that.
Its funny because the truck started out as a scuff and shoot with just a few mods and now we have completely rebuilt the front will all new suspension parts, steering parts, and have completely swapped all to five lug disc. power everything lol.
Any insight into the tansmission would be great help as always this forum rocks.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Newbie needs help

3:08 gears would be good if you are doing alot of highway cruising. Not sure why a TH350 would make any difference? Still 1:1 at the end...
Alot depends on what you will be doing with the truck.
Eric
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Constructor1

First welcome to the board and nice job on a build for your dad. I am wanting to do the same only with a corvette - my dad bought 3 new custom ordered corvettes over the past 40 years and sold them before he ever left the lot. He has always been a little too practical to let himself enjoy something like a new vette so I am going to rebuild a c-3 as a gift. Any how - I think a th350 can be picked up fairly inexpensively and the extra gear will help with the fuel consumption. I am not sure on the cost of new rear end gearing, but I have seen rebuilt th350 for $350.00.
Good luck and again welcome
Constructor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
dan42

THe 700r4 has the overdrive - lots of'em in the JY's. Depending on what the rear end is now (probably a 3.73) that would work fine. JMO, but a 3.08 with a 327 might not be great around town.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
CuStO67

Thanks guys for the responses. My dad will be driving the truck around town and from time and time again taking highway trips down here to see us.
My problem is really my body guy is telling me to swap to a th350 or 700r4 and leave the gears alone even though we havent pulled the diff cover to see whats in there lol. and my dads friend who has built 20 of these trucks is saying just swap the gears and leave the powerglide alone. so thats why im tossing up this question.

And NO the truck in my avitar is NOT mine but it is semi close to what it will be when its done.

Wheels should be here first of next week I can't wait to see it sittin on some FOOSE nitrous ii's should be sweet!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
CuStO67

Ok guys overall i guess my real question is what is the best combo for my 327? to get the best gas mileage and daily drive ability out of? 327 w/ powerglide or change to a th350 or 700r4. If you had a 327 what combo with the trans plus gears would you run? I need some answers while the body is off nows the time to make the changes. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

It sounds like the body says change things, but the guy who has built 20 of these is saying to keep the engine/trans combo. My opinion is listen to the guy who has built 20 of these. 3:08 gears with a 327/glide should be a good useable set up for all around i think. If you are going drag racing or lots of highway miles things may be different.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
CuStO67

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
It sounds like the body says change things, but the guy who has built 20 of these is saying to keep the engine/trans combo. My opinion is listen to the guy who has built 20 of these. 3:08 gears with a 327/glide should be a good useable set up for all around i think. If you are going drag racing or lots of highway miles things may be different.
Well they are both equally talented and have both built many a numerous show quality trucks and drag cars and such. So it just makes me wonder why they would both say different things. Is it just preference or will taking the 327/glide setup i have now and changing it to say a 327/700r4 or th350 how will it affect it?

My dad lives close to 2 and a half hours from me and he loves to drive down all the time just for ****s and giggles. So i know that he will be spending sometime on the highway and i want it to be a safe and reliable ride for him. once again he has no clue what im doing to his truck just that he will get a complete finished truck in the end.
I really need to pull the diff cover and see what gears im workin with! I think thats my next step right now. I'll keep yall posted