The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
59weasel

new to this...where to start??

ok i've been holding this 59 SWB for 7 yrs. time to get rollin! i'm new to the "starting from scratch thing" so my first Question of the millions i will post is where did you all start? and where should I ? i have a complete virgin 59 frame that i want to graft a jaguar front clip to or the camaro. i want to try the jag first and if it goes south, then i'll lob it off and do the camaro. i also have the rear complete rear T/A suspension out of a 68 GMC 1/2 ton that i want to use. this will be bagged all 4 corners. not a frame dragger, but i want it to set coool when parked. so what i think i should do is get the front set in and tacked together pretty good so i can figure out how low to set the rear. i would think the front will be the lowest point so i should start there first rite?

how do i figure ride height?

do i need to put my hole body on the frame then start trying to see what looks the best then do A LOT of measuring?

i just don't want to spend a lot wasted time or $$ starting in the wrong direction.

i think i should also get the new tranny mount put in cause i'm sure it's gotta be shallower than the stock one. which will help me figure out ride height. should i set the motor and tranny in to see how far that drops the suspension, before i finalize any welding? geeeez can you tell i'm a rookie? any help or opinions? i'll take it all!!!

Last edited by AceX; 02-24-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added paragraphs to help break the questions up and make for easy reading. No txt was harmed in the editing of this post.
59weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: new to this...where to start??

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, it sounds like you have alot of reading to do. I am NOT a suspension builder/engineer, bu there are alot of people here who are VERY knowledgeable on the subject, however, for most of your quesitons (which I seperated individually in your post) would best be answered in the suspension forum located HERE.

Because you are also talking about specific questions regarding your frame and common grafts that are done to it, I'm going to leave this post here, and also pass the word along to one or more of our suspension gurus, but may I also suggest that you take some time to read up on chassis fab. and engineering.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
59weasel

thanks AceX for the help, i guess i should repost this in the suspension area to get more info.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
robnolimit

I'll be glad to throw in a nickles' worth. Firts of all, one of my favorites, "If you fail to plan, your planning to fail" (from one of my mentors, 'Yosh'). Next one, "Do it once, do it right." (my dad) With that said, skip the Jag and go with the camaro. We have a DVD that shows you how to do it. Measure twice, cut once, and take your time. Out back, I'm not sure i'd go with the trailing arms. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it may not be the right choice. The 55-59 chassis doesn't kick up like the 63-72, so theres no place for the coils. Yes, you could reshape the rails, raise the bed floor,.... I'm just sayin', lots of work. If its a cruiser, go with leafs. for more performance go 4-bar. There are plenty of kits on the market for this. Yes I make and sell them, so you may think I'm biased, and I am, but not so much to sales, I really want you to get your truck done, and enjoy it. Thats the only way we can grow our hobby. Search for a thread - 55-59 camaro clip no limit style - One of my techs posted this up to show how we do them. Hope this helps.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
59weasel

thanks robnolimit, sounds like our dads were brothers!! (or the "why did you move that 3 times? just move it to the rite spot once"!) line!! well the jag was "to be different than the masses" move. but the Camaro has a ton of aftermarket support and info. i never thought about my frame being flatter than the other. you probably have a good point. (but i already had the stuff and it was free so i figured i'd try it.) i did ponder doing a mono leaf in the rear, then thought about a 4link. but wasn't sure what to do about bag location. i kinda like to build things so i can feel the pride in "i did that" plus as we know it costs $$$$ to buy cool stuff. but it's nice when it bolts on and is done in a day VS. 3-4 weeks. i just want a cool truck that rides nice and i can put down on the ground a little when it's time to show off. this will never be a show rig, i have a wife and kids and mortgage...you know! just something that is cool and i can go to cruizes with my old man and his car. SO.......i should start in the front and work my way to the back?....i reposted this in the suspension thread also. thanks for the replies everyone! i need all the help ican get!!

Last edited by 59weasel; 02-25-2011 at 04:56 PM.