The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
turner16

Power window motor replacement

I know I have to take the whole actuator out of the truck to replace the power window motor and I know how to when the window can go up and down. I know about taking the vent window out first. However how do I get the window out when I can't raise it or lower it because of a dead motor?

Any help would be great.
turner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
silvereagle07

Re: Power window motor replacement

When you take the door panel off the truck. While pressing the switch up/down take a small hammer and tap the window motor housing. That will release the stuck brushes so you can move it up/down. I've had it happen to all of my trucks. If it works , I would still recommend replacing the window motor. Good luck.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
tucsonjwt

It is not necessary to remove the vent window to replace the power window motor. You can wiggle the regulator out - find the slots for the wheels in the upper guide and it will drop out. If you have not done this before, please read up on the proper way to replace the window motor - it is installed under tension - usually you clamp or screw and bolt the motor housing to the regulator before removal. Are you sure you have a bad motor? The plug and harness at the switch can have loose contacts - hard to see - wiggle the harness wires and see if the motor works. Just trying to save you some time/money. If you do need a new motor - I recommend AC/Delco only.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
turner16

Well i have power at the plug neg the reversed when the switch is reversed hence up and down. I'll try the hammer. Funny thing now is that the power locks are also not working and they were before this. Everything works on the pass. side except power lock up.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

You can have power at the plug, but you have 5(?) connections at the plug (wires going into the side of the plug). If any of those connections are loose, then you lose the function of that connection. Look closely at those contacts and try to wiggle them in and out while operating the switch. You might find that the motor will work. Before buying a new motor, you can plug the suspect motor into the other door"s harness and see if it works with that setup.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
turner16

sorry i mean the motor plug, I have 2 wires there and they reverse when the switch is turned to the other side.