The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
codydubb

Hood Scoops

Lets see some hood scoops on squares, anyone done homemade scoops or bond on scoops????
350 .60 over iron eagle h-beam rods, sealed power high comp pistons, forged crank, vortec heads, edelbrock performer rpm vortec intake, roller rockers, .488 .510 cam 750 Demon Double Pumper, Longtube headers, Dual Flowmaster exhaust,Dual electric fans, Proform electric water pump. TCI 3500 Stall Converter th350 trans B&M shift kit 10 bolt 3.73 Detroit Locker
codydubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

Re: Hood Scoops

I dont have any pics right now but ive done a few home made scoops and quite a few bond-on ones. Word of advise- try to get one with the mounting flange on the inside of the scoop, and buy some stuff called panel bond! Its black and comes in a caulk tube, you can find it at the auto parts stores, sometimes they have a special gun you have to buy. the tube of stuff is like $30 and the gun is like $20 if you have to buy one. alot of the new cars, including jaguar, use the stuff to bond on roff and door skins without welding them. its messy too but works great. It will not come apart! I trim the bottom flange to sit flush against the hood, sometimes because of the hump you lose some of the flange in the middle, no biggie.
put tape around your hoodso you know exactly where to set it, flip the scoop upside down, run you a bead of panel bond on the flange, and set it on there. once that dries, you get some copper tubing so you can bend it around to where ever you need to get to inside of the scoop and use it taped to the tip of your panel bond to get in there where the flange was missing and run a nice bead in there making sure to get it on both the insde of the scoop and the hood, then make sure you have rubber gloves, plenty of them. run you a bead around the outside edge of the scoop and use your finger to neatly (try to in one whole pass without stopping) smooth the bead out into a contour. after it dries, and the stuff does take a while to dry so it will take a few days to do this since you will most likely have to wait overnight for the intial bonding to dry. but you do have plenty of work time and trty and keep it as clean as you can. then just lightly sand your bead and prime your hood. I havent had one come back yet.
If you are overly concerned and want to rivet it to the hood ALSO, then do it from the underside of the hood and try to use some little metal washers on the backside if you can.
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
codydubb

ive only seen scoops with the mounting flange around the outside, ive been wanting a cowl hood for a while my buddy bought a scoop and did it the way you explained only difference is he penciled it out on the hood and used grabber screws to hold it down and in place after he panel glued it then pulled them out after it dried and filled the holes in and smoothed out around the scoop with filler to make it blend, it turned out damn good even cut the sheet metal out to make it functional. might be the cheap way to go sometimes id rather spend time than money
350 .60 over iron eagle h-beam rods, sealed power high comp pistons, forged crank, vortec heads, edelbrock performer rpm vortec intake, roller rockers, .488 .510 cam 750 Demon Double Pumper, Longtube headers, Dual Flowmaster exhaust,Dual electric fans, Proform electric water pump. TCI 3500 Stall Converter th350 trans B&M shift kit 10 bolt 3.73 Detroit Locker
codydubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Garcon66

I was wondering if I should worry about this being in California? its almost 8 inches at it highest point...
Attached Images

Garcon66 is offline   Reply With Quote