The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
59Mutt

need help with leaf rear springs

hello, im working on a 59. my leaf spring broke so my buddy gave me the ones from his 57. well the way it mounts is a little different. i tried removing the stud that goes through the eye because mine is different. but it wont move. do i just pound it out or is there another method? the one on the left is the 57 the right is my broken one with the 59 style. thanks.
Attached Images

59Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: need help with leaf rear springs

It should come out but 50+ years of rust doesn't help. soaking it with PB blaster and then using a hydraulic press to push it out would probably be the best way.

Revised after seeing the other posts below. Yep they do thread in and out of the bushing. My brain wasn't fully awake when I wrote the answer above.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-25-2011 at 10:34 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
59Mutt

thanks. its soaking inn pb blaster now. i tried using my hammer but ill take it to my buddies shop where he has a press. thanks for the info.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
troy54gmc

hey mutt im not sure if yours are like my originals were because mines a 54 but mine were threaded in. needed to unscrew them. i hammered on them for 20mins before i figured this out.
troy54gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
59Mutt

i appreciate the heads up, were yours female like 57's or male like my current 59?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Mutt View Post
hello, im working on a 59. my leaf spring broke so my buddy gave me the ones from his 57. well the way it mounts is a little different. i tried removing the stud that goes through the eye because mine is different. but it wont move. do i just pound it out or is there another method? the one on the left is the 57 the right is my broken one with the 59 style. thanks.
They do screw out as the others have said. I would press the entire unit out (bushing and pin) and buy new ones and have them pressed in. Buy the ones like the 58. The kit should come with the pin, bushing, foam seals and the nuts w/ lock washers. For about $50 you should be able to get the kits for both sides.

Also buy the correct center bolts for the springs don't use a grade 8 with a ground down top. The spring center bolts are suppose to give if they get slammed hard so it doesn't break the spring. Clamp the spring stack together then tighen the center bolt. Its only about a grade 3 bolt so don't over crank the nut.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
59Mutt

thank you for the very valuable info. i did notice the nut on the good ones was stripped and i thought this was unusual as it hardley happens to me. i did go out and buy a grade 8 nut for the replacement but it was wrong....glad it was and i used the one from the craked stack. i tightened it but not gorilla style. the pass side is ok and i only need this one, i have good soft foam gaskets adn the bushing looks ok...needless to say im trying to get away cheap. this is an important project( it was my dads i sold it and after 8 years got it back.) i just want to drive in locally and later really dig in when the kids are big and my girl works full time. for now im pinching pennies fellas. thanks again.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
59Mutt

ok, i cheated...i had it swaped by Long Beach Spring in long beacg ca...very quick and it was easy for them...thanks again!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
59Mutt

so i installed the springs but a couple folks say it dog tracks. i measured the front of the back tire to frame and it was 9 1/2 on the passenger side. and 9 1/2 on the rear of the drivers back tire. so it may be cocked. so my question today is.....what should be the distance from the front spring eye to the axle locating pin if reversed? how about stock? maybe i have one reversed. but i measured it before to make sure but maybe i made a mistake.