The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
dajn
Account Suspended

changing a 68 front end to a 71

I maybe should have searched harder for the answer but anyways, I have a 71 1/2 ton four wheel drive with an automatic transmission and a 350 engine. Also I have a 68 1/2 ton two wheel drive four speed with a 350 engine. both are in rough shape but the 71 has decent body parts but is not running and needs tons of work, while the 68 is ready for the road but the body parts are horrible. I cannot afford to restore both of them so for now I want to take the front clip off of the 71 along with the doors and box sides and put them on the 68 because they are in decent shape. I know that they are slighly different but will I run into any problems doing this?
Not that it matters but the reason I want to do this is because I want to completely restore the 71 while using whatever parts I can to make the 68 respectable. eventually, after starting with the frame, I want to put a new body on the 71.
I inherited my dads very rare 1966 ford galaxie 7-litre convertible with a four speed so I really need to focus all my money on that car before I can really spend anything respectable on the chevy's.
also if anyone is looking for a cheap way to put a nice sounding dual exhaust on their small block, JC whitney sells pipes that exist in front of the rear tires for 185 dollars. they run under the frame and bolt to the manifolds and are very easy to install. It took me maybe two hours to put them on my 68 and I am satisfied and happy with them for the money. obviously I am talking to the people that can't afford headers and all the nice stuff.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: changing a 68 front end to a 71

Front clips should swap. You'll need the radiator support for the fenders/hood you're using.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote