The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
bobcostas

Knee Freezer AC install

Hey Dudes!

I am attempting to install an under-dash AC unit I got off eBay about a year ago. Its a very used model that they said came out of a '63 Caddy. I think i got everything in order, except one thing. This genius thought the evaporator unit would fit. My deluxe heater is in the way

Does anyone have one of these style AC evaporators with a deluxe heater. I also have a granny 4-speed, so I think putting it in the center is out of the question. Am I boned?

Thanks guys

"The oxen may be slow, but the Earth is patient"
bobcostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Knee Freezer AC install

I only have information on the 1960 model. Although it doesn’t state one way or the other, it seems apparent if you wanted factory air in 1960 a heater wasn’t an option because the A/C unit occupies the same space. For models with a floor shift, the evaporator was mounted in front of the passenger seat. For an aftermarket, or conversion from something else it’s going to be a matter of what will fit, which probably isn’t going to be in the middle with the factory floor shifter. Hopefully someone else has an install to share, but thought this might help:

markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
bobcostas

Thanks Mark!
I'll study those pages.

"The oxen may be slow, but the Earth is patient"
bobcostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
kieth

Will it fit under the seat ? if not I have two units in the back of 91 model suburbans that might work...........for free............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcostas View Post
Hey Dudes!

I am attempting to install an under-dash AC unit I got off eBay about a year ago. Its a very used model that they said came out of a '63 Caddy. I think i got everything in order, except one thing. This genius thought the evaporator unit would fit. My deluxe heater is in the way

Does anyone have one of these style AC evaporators with a deluxe heater. I also have a granny 4-speed, so I think putting it in the center is out of the question. Am I boned?

Thanks guys
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
awbrown

I never thought about the under seat units , do you have a picture or some dimensions?? I was given a late model 350 with all the accesories on the front and am contemplating doing the ac swap ...thanks
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

The Cool Pack accessory could be installed under the center of the dash for automatics and 3 speeds. If you had a four speed the unit installed under the glove compartment. The Caddy condenser is close to the dimension ( right width but a row of coils to much in height.) for the trucks, but utilized a different drier. The mounting brackets from the Caddy condenser can be removed and new brackets can be fabricated. I'm piecing this stuff together for mine. I have the compressor brackets for an inline 6 that are cast but in 63 the brackets were pressed steel . Just missed out on the correct setup on ebay. Hate being broke and unemployed when this stuff comes up for sale.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
I never thought about the under seat units , do you have a picture or some dimensions?? I was given a late model 350 with all the accesories on the front and am contemplating doing the ac swap ...thanks

Here is the unit at the rear of the 91 burb, I have anothe just like i out of a 88 burb, all the other connections to this unit are just like the regular A/C, I was just joking around but this would work with some engineering.......

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...251_DEtG5-A-LB

Last edited by kieth; 03-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
LT1 Burb

PM me Aerotruck about a condensor, I have an extra.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote