The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
79beater

Time to build

I want to say this is a great forum and thank you for all of the valuable information posted. I'm starting to really get into my build and need a little assistance. I have a 79 GMC lwb 2wd and it is in dire need of floor boards, side kick panels, and inside rockers. My problem is where to start. The kick panels all come together is such a manner, I'm not sure how to get to all the spot welds, (they are not very visible either), and what to cut out first or what to weld first. I know to drill or grind the spot welds but some are not even visible or accessible. If anyone can give a tutorial I would appreciate the help.

79 GMC LWB, 350 Vortec "stolen"
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
79beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Time to build

67 C10 Rocker Panel Replacement good reference article

Fabricating rocker panels, floor, trans tunnell reference and this http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=9924 good luck
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
79beater

Nbpro, thanks for the info. I have the fabrication skills but just wanted to see if anyone out there had any tips on where to start with a 79 without just ripping everything out. The outside rockers are in great shape but, everything is rotted right at the seam where the lower support, inner rocker, floor, and kick panel meet. I want to make it as water tight and correct as I can but access to all the seams to separate and weld is limited. I have replaced many body panels but, they have all been straight forward. I have limited time and resources and just wanted a little guidance if any is out there. Thanks

79 GMC LWB, 350 Vortec "stolen"
2001 Chevrolet Suburban
79beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Norwood
Account Suspended

Hey 79beater, I just did the same thing to my 78 GMC, man it was a ***** and I even got my brother and Jerry to help me but now Im glad we done it. the way we done it was just cut all that bad crap out with your saws all but you got to make sure you have a new blade on there or you will do what we done and it will just mangle all the good medal up and you will have to go back and try to hammer it back strait again. you can hardly tell cause Jerry is good with body tools. anyway just cut some metal to the same size you cut out and if you have a welder and he knows how to use it just weld it back up. Make sure you have a hose nearby or you will burn all that stuff under the carpet but I was going to get new carpet anyhow. if you are one of them guys who likes to make it look all pretty and stuff just spread some bondo all around it and that will help keep the water out too. If you need some more just shout out and Ill give more steps we used.
Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote