The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
hick

Will Acid Dip Remove Spray On Box Liner?

Howdy All,

Just in research mode as I haven't found "the" truck yet, and I'm not sure if this is the right place, so feel free to move it.

I am looking for a Long Horn but am not prepared to do a frame of restro. It'll get a new engine and become a summer cruiser for the time being (and a summer time work truck, tidy tank and tool box)

To save me self a lot of work when the frame off happens, I want to spray the bottom of the cab (under side), box (underside) and inside the box to hold off the wear and tear and any further rusting. I'm not sure if the long horns ever came with a steel floor, but i would still consider spraying the inside of the box panels and just throw a cheap 2x6 pressure treated floor in for the time being.

The truck is going to see gravel road, pavement and any thing else I can get it into which is why i want to do this. During the fall it'll double as a farm/fuel truck just because i can and likely in the spring as well for baling. It will be pulling a trailer if need be as well... an all around work truck

For the sake of a frame off, will the acid dip remove the liner or am i just causing my self more head ache in the end and is the liner even a good idea?

I don't want to do the frame off till i am 100% ready to go, and that maybe several years. Any other suggestions is much appreciated

Thank you,

Scott

Last edited by hick; 03-05-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: terrible grammar
hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Will Acid Dip Remove Spray On Box Liner?

The way I understand it, acid dip is supposed to remove anything down to bare metal and then continue into the metal unless it's thoroughly neutralized. A lot of people don't recommend it for that reason. Plus it's supposed to be expensive.

What I'm wondering is why do you want to buy a jewel of a truck and then put it through the torture you're thinking of putting it through. I have a plain jane 68 GMC with 3 on the floor and 250 six and I treat it very gently.

I'm sure the longhorn would do everything you ask of it and probably more and I think your idea of undercoating is good if you'll be driving on a lot of gravel roads. But, still I think I'd find another beater.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
The way I understand it, acid dip is supposed to remove anything down to bare metal and then continue into the metal unless it's thoroughly neutralized. A lot of people don't recommend it for that reason. Plus it's supposed to be expensive.

What I'm wondering is why do you want to buy a jewel of a truck and then put it through the torture you're thinking of putting it through. I have a plain jane 68 GMC with 3 on the floor and 250 six and I treat it very gently.

I'm sure the longhorn would do everything you ask of it and probably more and I think your idea of undercoating is good if you'll be driving on a lot of gravel roads. But, still I think I'd find another beater.
I know exactly where your coming from and I know I won't win a lot of friends with my way of doing things.

The dream is to toss a 12/24 cummins into it (more for show and because I can) and just clean it up a little bit. Make it summer cruiser, but I am a farm boy and I REFUSE to own a truck of any kind and not use it. The under coating it just a thought... I have looked into the chassis saver as well. I won't be on gravel every day, but there is a few miles of it out to the lake and when i'm at the farm there is a lot of gravel... I consider it a "preventive measure" of sort.

I'm not saying I am going to take it bush whacking every chance I get, but I won't be (and don't want to be) afraid of using my tidy tank to haul fuel during harvest/seeding/bailing or drag a horse trailer with it. With that said I want some thing at the Sunday Show and Shine that gets ppl attention, hence the Long Horn and cummins...

My problem is I don't want to buy this truck, attempt a frame off and have it in pieces in my garage for 10 years. I am the kind of guy who will go to change to oil in it one day and 8 house later i'll have it in pieces, patching cab corners, floor pans, etc and then get busy with life and never get it finished... you know what i mean? So I want to preserve it for as long as possible (while gather parts, etc) WHILE still using it

Last edited by hick; 03-05-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
hick

I have been reading up on Rust Sealer, like this http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/ which I would consider but it comes down to removal...

My main goal right now is preservation until I can get the time/money/shop space to pull it all apart and do it all at once type thing