The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Baggerjohn

Need a little help. 2 questions

I have a 67 lwb 2wd C-10 with a 250 inline 6 with a 5 speed trans. I don't know what rear end gears I have. I am getting really bad gas mileage. I do not have a speedometer. I have the one barrel carb. I had hoped for better mileage. I do have a tach that shows when I'm going approx. 65 mph the tach is at 1200 rpm. Think the tach is wrong. Any help would be great.
Question #2 is the bench seat my truck came with is touching the doors when closed and it is uncomfortable. I bought another seat that I think is the right length but when installed sits real low. How can I safely raise the seat so that I see where I'm going?
Since retiring my wife thought I needed something to occupy my time I chose this truck. Just need a little advice please. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Re: Need a little help. 2 questions

Wow! Thats low rpms!

Try another tach?

Have you changed diff. oil lately? Go to the store and get a gasket for your rearend (most likely 12 bolt) and some gear oil, note the #'s stamped on ring gear (big gear) divide little into big number, that'll give you your ratio.

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
dmack91

5 speed? Wonder what it came out of.

As far as the seat goes, in the past I have lifted them with square steel tubing between the floor and the mounting rails. Just take the stock bolts out and shim up with wood scraps until you get the height you want. Measure what you have and get some square steel tube of that size. Just drill corresponding holes and get longer bolts and you are ready to go.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

First step: make sure tach is for a 6 cylinder!!!

Getting taller tires could help too. As far as seat problem, get a piece of square tubing and drill two holes in it and put it under the seat stands - cheap and easy!

Or what he said ^^^^

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!

Last edited by basemodel67; 03-06-2011 at 01:18 PM.
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Or you can jack up the rear wheels and turn one one full turn.Put a chalk mark on the driveshaft and see how many times it rotates while turning the wheel.Though not 100% acurate you will get a good idea of what ration you have.The tranny will need to be in nuetral.
Typical rear ratios are 3.73:1 4.11:1 4.53:1 for standards
3.07-08:1 for auto.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

You could also clean the top of the axle passenger side real good and see if you have some numbers stamped on top then post them here or look on GMC Pauls site. Years of grime accumulation make them almost invisible. I had to wire brush mine.

If you want to keep from getting a ticket and to see how fast you are going go buy a gps unit like a Garmin. I used mine to when my speedometer went belly up on another vehicle. Worked great and pretty accurate.

fyi: these old trucks don't get very good mileage. There are some that can squeeze upwards of 18 mpg but from my experience 15 or less on the highway is the norm.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

All of these are good suggestions, if the speedo isn't working you might want to check the cable. I checked mine by reaching up under the dash to unscrew it then took a drive and watched to see if it spun when moving, mine didn't so I changed it out (not spinning could also mean stripped speedo gear in the tailshaft). When mine went out I replaced it I think it cost about $13 and took about a half an hour to replace.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

how bad is your MPG?
How do you know with no speedo?
Whats the RPMs in 4th gear?

I'm willing to bet a kick in the balls that someone put a 3.07 rear in there and with the 5 speed it puts the RPMs too low and the engine is working hard (lugging) at that stupid low RPM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
how bad is your MPG?
How do you know with no speedo?
Whats the RPMs in 4th gear?

I'm willing to bet a kick in the balls that someone put a 3.07 rear in there and with the 5 speed it puts the RPMs too low and the engine is working hard (lugging) at that stupid low RPM.
I was thinking all the same things. I say fix speedo, then recalculate MPG to see where you stand. A good carb cleaning/tuning, new air filter, plugs and wires couldn't hurt either.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Baggerjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
5 speed? Wonder what it came out of.

As far as the seat goes, in the past I have lifted them with square steel tubing between the floor and the mounting rails. Just take the stock bolts out and shim up with wood scraps until you get the height you want. Measure what you have and get some square steel tube of that size. Just drill corresponding holes and get longer bolts and you are ready to go.
dmack 91, don't know where the trans came from. Like it though.Thanks for the info on how to raise the seat. Will do as soon as I can find a supplier for the metal. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Baggerjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Or you can jack up the rear wheels and turn one one full turn.Put a chalk mark on the driveshaft and see how many times it rotates while turning the wheel.Though not 100% acurate you will get a good idea of what ration you have.The tranny will need to be in nuetral.
Typical rear ratios are 3.73:1 4.11:1 4.53:1 for standards
3.07-08:1 for auto.
PanelDeland, thanks for the info on how to find gear ratio. I will try it. Thanks again.

John
Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
Zeke's Garage

A little better way to check the rear ratio is to put the rear up on jack-stands and put a piece of tape on the bottom of both tires and the drive shaft. Then rotate the drive shaft and count the turns until both tires rotate once. The tape ensures that both rear tires move the same amount and isn't working the spider gears in the diff, throwing off your measurement.

Like Longhorn Man says, you'll probably get just over 3 turns of the drive shaft for one rotation of the tires, roughly 3.07:1 ratio.

If all the above rings true, just keep it in 4th gear, and you'll probably see a little better mileage and drive-ability out of it.
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
dmack91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggerjohn View Post
dmack 91, don't know where the trans came from. Like it though.Thanks for the info on how to raise the seat. Will do as soon as I can find a supplier for the metal. Thanks again.
Most steel yards have a scrap section with misc. small sections for sale by the pound (about 45 cents a pound here). Might also check with some local welding/repair shops. They may have some scraps you can buy cheap (or cut some to size for you).
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #14
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

post up some pics and I'm sure someone can ID the tranny for you.