The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
jons70

67 Front Disc Brakes

I'm getting ready to place an order for a bunch of parts for my 67 C10. One of the parts is a complete pre bent stainless steel brake line kit. My problem is someone in the trucks past converted the front brakes to discs. It appears to be the kit that LMC truck sells which uses the 71-72 spindle, rotor, caliper and flex line. The problem is whoever installed the kit didn't bother to re-bend the factory steel lines and relocate them to the rear of the control arms. The flex line that is on my truck now looks to be stretched about as far as it can be. This to me is unsafe. I know that the 71-72 pickups came with disc brakes from the factory. My question is do I order the kit for a 71 or a 72 because in the LMC catalog there are different part numbers for 67, 68-69, 70, 71, 72. What do I order? I called LMC, but there is no one there who has any idea about what they sell or what it will fit, so this is where this forum will hopefully come in. Anyone have any suggestions or anyone run into the same problem? I'm hoping that one of these kits will place the steel line behind the control arms so that the flex lines will reach safely. I can make an angle bracket to hold the steel line and anchor the flex line to the frame behind the control arms where they should be.
Any help would be much appreciated.
jons70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Orangetonicclicc

Re: 67 Front Disc Brakes

I just purchased a entire brake kit from Performance online. It should be here next week for my 67!!!! I did extensive research before I purchased it. The customer service and bargains was unbelievable. I spoke with a young guy by the name of Brandon. Although he wasn't as knowledgeable on our trucks. He was thourough!!!! Even called me back to tell me my order had been shipped!! But there is a guy name Stan from Early Classic(ECE) They know their stuff!!! They were my 2nd choice, POL beat them out in the end. TRY BOTH!!!!
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons70 View Post
I'm getting ready to place an order for a bunch of parts for my 67 C10. One of the parts is a complete pre bent stainless steel brake line kit. My problem is someone in the trucks past converted the front brakes to discs. It appears to be the kit that LMC truck sells which uses the 71-72 spindle, rotor, caliper and flex line. The problem is whoever installed the kit didn't bother to re-bend the factory steel lines and relocate them to the rear of the control arms. The flex line that is on my truck now looks to be stretched about as far as it can be. This to me is unsafe. I know that the 71-72 pickups came with disc brakes from the factory. My question is do I order the kit for a 71 or a 72 because in the LMC catalog there are different part numbers for 67, 68-69, 70, 71, 72. What do I order? I called LMC, but there is no one there who has any idea about what they sell or what it will fit, so this is where this forum will hopefully come in. Anyone have any suggestions or anyone run into the same problem? I'm hoping that one of these kits will place the steel line behind the control arms so that the flex lines will reach safely. I can make an angle bracket to hold the steel line and anchor the flex line to the frame behind the control arms where they should be.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you have any good pics of your front suspesnion that you can post?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
jons70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Do you have any good pics of your front suspesnion that you can post?
No, but I can take some and post them
Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Please do.
It's all a guess without them.
What makes you think the spindles are 71-72?

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 03-06-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

I was just thinking about this same issue, but from a different angle. I am going to use 73-87 front suspension on my '70 frame and was wondering if I can get a master cylinder/booster and pre-bent brake lines to make the installation cleaner. I guess I will be giving these guys a call as well!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
jons70

Quote:
Please do.
It's all a guess without them.
What makes you think the spindles aer 71-72?
I just eye balled them from the LMC catalog. When your dealing with something that someone else has had their hands into and you don't know what they did, it makes it a lot more difficult. I just need to know if the calipers on a 71-72 truck are toward the rear on the spindle and if I order a pre bent brake line kit for a 71 or 72 will it relocate the steel lines to the rear of the control arm instead of the front like mine are now.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons70 View Post
I just eye balled them from the LMC catalog. When your dealing with something that someone else has had their hands into and you don't know what they did, it makes it a lot more difficult. I just need to know if the calipers on a 71-72 truck are toward the rear on the spindle and if I order a pre bent brake line kit for a 71 or 72 will it relocate the steel lines to the rear of the control arm instead of the front like mine are now.
71-72 crossmembers have a tab on the front side of the crossmember.
This is where the brake caliper hose connects to the steel brake line.

67-70 crossmembers have a tab on the back side of the crossmember.

That's why wanted to see what you had.

73-87 trucks had a different set up yet.

The pre-bent steel lines will match the crossmembers I have listed above.

Of course,... the 67-70 prebent lines will be for drum brake trucks.
ECE sells a conversion rubber brake hose that will work with the steel drum brake lines.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I recently spent alot of time with another member with similar questions.
After many back and forth questions,... we determined that the front suspension components were actually from a 73-87 donor truck.
Pics up front would have shown that right away.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksSS View Post
I was just thinking about this same issue, but from a different angle. I am going to use 73-87 front suspension on my '70 frame and was wondering if I can get a master cylinder/booster and pre-bent brake lines to make the installation cleaner. I guess I will be giving these guys a call as well!
That's an easy one. Get all of the lines from a 73-87 truck. They will fit your truck. Even though the configuration is different than the early trucks, with the prop valve mounted down below the radiator, it all fits the truck very well without having to modify the lines. Get the master cylinder, the lines leading from it down to the frame, the prop valve, and the lines from prop valve out to the brake hoses. It's a great fit.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Thanks, that is great info!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
jons70

Quote:
71-72 crossmembers have a tab on the front side of the crossmember.
This is where the brake caliper hose connects to the steel brake line.

67-70 crossmembers have a tab on the back side of the crossmember.

That's why wanted to see what you had.

73-87 trucks had a different set up yet.

The pre-bent steel lines will match the crossmembers I have listed above.

Of course,... the 67-70 prebent lines will be for drum brake trucks.
ECE sells a conversion rubber brake hose that will work with the steel drum brake lines.
Took pictures of the front suspension on my truck, but have no idea how to upload them on this forum??
Old 03-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Look here to attach pics,...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=209103

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
jons70

Sorry for the delay, here are the pictures of my front suspension

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
Tx Firefighter

You have a 71-72 crossmember and calipers.

The location of the steel brake lines gives away the era of the crossmember and the shape of the calipers where the hose attaches identifies them as 71-72 also. Your upper and lower arms are aftermarket.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #16
jons70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
You have a 71-72 crossmember and calipers.

The location of the steel brake lines gives away the era of the crossmember and the shape of the calipers where the hose attaches identifies them as 71-72 also. Your upper and lower arms are aftermarket.
Posted via Mobile Device
So how are the flex lines supposed to go if the steel line is in front and the caliper behind?? The flex line as you can see is stretched right out. If the steel line is supposed to be in front like that, how the heck can the flex line reach?? You'll also notice the steel line is not anchored to anything nor is there anything to anchor it to. Why would GM put the steel line in front of the cross member when the caliper is behind it? I'm starting to think that making my own lines is the way to go. Nothing is easy
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter

That's factory routing and lines for trucks with disc brakes. GM made zillions of them like that. Your issue is that your truck is lowered which flattens the lower control arm out and pulls the hoses more taught. Get a pair of longer hoses and you're golden.

The reason GM ran the hoses like that is that it's less stressful on the hoses as the steering cycles lock to lock. When the hoses are set up to run behind the crossmember they kink very easy as you turn from lock to lock. This way keeps the hoses straighter throughout their range of motion.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 03-18-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
jons70

Quote:
That's factory routing and lines for trucks with disc brakes. GM made zillions of them like that. Your issue is that your truck is lowered which flattens the lower control arm out and pulls the hoses more taught. Get a pair of longer hoses and you're golden.

The reason GM ran the hoses like that is that it's less stressful on the hoses as the steering cycles lock to lock. When the hoses are set up to run behind the crossmember they kink very easy as you turn from lock to lock. This way keeps the hoses straighter throughout their range of motion.
Thanks for the info. Now the problem is that LMC truck has the complete brake line kits that are for 67, 68-69, 70, 71, and 72. Which kit would make the most sense and why would they be different for all those years? Shouldn't a 67-70 be the same, as well as a 71-72?? Where would I find longer flex lines? or should I order the stainless steel line kit for a 67 and relocate the flex lines to the rear?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
Tx Firefighter

A set of 71-72 hardlines is going to fit best since thats what you have. Putting the hardlines behind the crossmember is not the answer. All disc brake trucks route the rubber hoses forward like yours. Even the 73-87 hoses route forward, even a good bit further to the framerail in front of the crossmember. You can either make or have made longer hoses, or I run 71-72 one ton hoses which are identical to what you have now except one inch longer.

I've run hoses from brake calipers to the rear of the crossmember before on trucks and it doesn't work near as well. The hoses kink much easier. That's only appropriate for drum brake trucks where the angle is less severe during turning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #20
jons70

Quote:
A set of 71-72 hardlines is going to fit best since thats what you have. Putting the hardlines behind the crossmember is not the answer. All disc brake trucks route the rubber hoses forward like yours. Even the 73-87 hoses route forward, even a good bit further to the framerail in front of the crossmember. You can either make or have made longer hoses, or I run 71-72 one ton hoses which are identical to what you have now except one inch longer.

I've run hoses from brake calipers to the rear of the crossmember before on trucks and it doesn't work near as well. The hoses kink much easier. That's only appropriate for drum brake trucks where the angle is less severe during turning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info and all your help. I still am unsure as to which kit to buy. Like I said the LMC catalog list the hard lines for a 67, 68-69, 70, 71, and 72 all with different part numbers. What could the difference be between the kit for a 71 and the kit for a 72? Why would they list them separately? There must be something different about them, but when I call them they cannot give me any info because they have no clue what they sell or what it fits nor do they have a tech department. You have to know 100% what your buying from them because no one there will be able to help
Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Tx Firefighter

I can't vouch for why LMC shows two different numbers for 71 and 72 brake lines. In my experience they have been the same.

As a side note, I noticed Classic Parts sells the longer brake hoses now for your truck. The 3/4 and 1 ton hoses are an inch longer than 1/2 ton hoses, otherwise the same. I've always used them on my lowered trucks to get some extra slack.

http://www.classicparts.com/1971-72-...ctinfo/71-319/
Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #22
jons70

Thanks for all the help and info, it's always a hassle when your dealing with something someone else had their hands into and you don't know what they did. I have a local parts jobber that I can source the longer flex lines from, now that I know what to buy. As for the hard lines I may just take a chance and order the kit for a 72, what's the worst that can happen right?