The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
JORGIE95961

76 power steering box

Morning folks.. I was on craiglist earlier and saw someone selling a 76 chevy powersteering box and pump for 25 buckaroos.. .. is this steering box a direct fit to my 72 gmc manual steering. I know the manual is shorter with some sort of adapter. and if heard of notching the bumper bracket... just woandering if it fits as my steering is pretty loose anyways. Thanks yall and happy monday!!!

Last edited by JORGIE95961; 03-07-2011 at 12:45 PM.
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Re: 76 power steering box

surprised I'm the first on this. Yup, it will fit just fine, but the Pitman arm is different for the power unit. IIRC the pitman arm is what makes up the difference in the length of the box. You will prob. need to clearance the bumper bracket. Nothing a sawzall or angle grinder cant fix. And at $25, if it doesn't work, prob. less that the core charge at the parts store.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
ChevyLvr4Life

Yes it will bolt right up. I put a 76 box out of a junkyard on my 70. I did have to notch the bumper bracket. The intermediate shaft ( shaft that connects box to column )on yours should work, if it's too long they are collapsible and you can shorten it up if needed. You're probably gonna have some issues with the pump. Those pump brackets are designed to be used with a long water pump. Our trucks use a short water pump. I ended up finding a pump w/ brackets off a 71 or 2. Your gonna need a 3 groove crank pulley too if you don't already have one. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

1970 Chevy C10 LWB 307 3OTT 3.73 gear
ChevyLvr4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyLvr4Life View Post
You're probably gonna have some issues with the pump. Those pump brackets are designed to be used with a long water pump. Our trucks use a short water pump. I ended up finding a pump w/ brackets off a 71 or 2. Your gonna need a 3 groove crank pulley too if you don't already have one. Hope this helps.
Actually, the brackets aren't the issue, it's the pulley. The pumps are the same, but the pulley's are for either the short or long waterpumps, and can be changed. The hard part is finding the right one.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
JORGIE95961

tHANK YOU GENTLE MEN.. BIG HELP!!!
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote