The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
one low c10

some help or input please

can someone tell me if these control arm bushing arent pressed all the way in or if it is ok how they are? this is all the farther i could get them pressed in, the inner sleeve is butted up to the shaft but it doesnt seem right. and if they need pressed in more am I screwed because they are already pressed in this far and assembled? any help would be appreciated! thanks, Geoff
Attached Images

one low c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
lilpoindexter

Re: some help or input please

The 1st and last pictures look ok, but the rest look like they are jacked up.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
one low c10

the first is of the upper...not sure what to do at this point
Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
lilpoindexter

This is what mine looked like after i did up my front end...I guess they stick out further than I remembered them sticking out
Attached Images

lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
cableguy0

Theres a step on the steel sleeve that should be butted against the control arm. If its not the bushings arent in all the way. The second pic looks like the control arm itself i bent. How did you press them in?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

The pic of lillpoindexter's front end is exactly right. Bushings without a "step" around them (lower arms) get the flange pushed all the way against the mounting boss. Bushings with the step(upper arms) get pushed in only as far as the step will allow. In the examples shown ALL the arms have been crushed to a degree and look like the person who did the press work didn't put enough or any support between the arm flanges during the pressing operation. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
bigd65

You had them pressed in or beat them in with a hammer, the ears could be bent in. I did that the very first time I replaced control arm bushings. Had to scout the yards to get another. They will bed if you stand them on the one side and try and beat the other side in. when the ears/legs bend in then the bushing wont have room to seat all the way down due to the stops on the shaft that goes through the legs/ears. (what ever they are called)

Last edited by bigd65; 03-11-2011 at 08:29 AM.
bigd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
one low c10

tried presssing on with a ball joint press, hopefully I can get the center bushing part out and the shafts off to take them in and have pressed like I shoulda done in the first place...oh well live and learn. I just hope i didnt mess up my arms or bushings
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
one low c10

ok I managed to get everything apart without damaging anything and got them pressed in all the way! thanks for the help!
Attached Images