The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
MILLER TIME

Long bed to Short...

What is the easiest way to convert a long bed frame into a short bed...?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Twisted Elegance

Re: Long bed to Short...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

http://67chevyc10shorty.blogspot.com/
Twisted Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chas...lwb_to_swb.htm
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
MILLER TIME

Anyone know how much this would cost if the bed was already off and everything...?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
MILLER TIME

And thanks for all the help as well!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
78maliburat

I DID MINE YESTERDAY

Last edited by 78maliburat; 03-13-2011 at 12:23 AM.
78maliburat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
MILLER TIME

What did you do just mark 14" out and cut it out? have you mounted the bed back yet?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
franky69c10
chevy runs deep

78maliburat Nice work any pics with the bed on it yet and what did u do for the drive line and gas tanks
Posted via Mobile Device

1969 c10 swb soon 2 b on the road...

My LWB is a SWB now
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498241
franky69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #9
78maliburat

My buddy has a step side bed i might use ,putting swb tank on it , about done with the motor also
Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
franky69c10
chevy runs deep

Any more pics when u were cutting it down
Posted via Mobile Device

1969 c10 swb soon 2 b on the road...

My LWB is a SWB now
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498241
franky69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78maliburat View Post
I DID MINE YESTERDAY
I really hope that is not the finished product. I would be very concerned with the integrity of that splice.

If you want to see how it should be done take a look below-

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
78maliburat

HAHA WHATEVER
Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Quote:
HAHA WHATEVER
No really, that's a horrible cut. I'd be afraid to drive that truck on the street like that.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
78maliburat

Same cut on my 96 pete lasted half million miles no issues
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #15
Altec
Getcha Pull

Quote:
Same cut on my 96 pete lasted half million miles no issues
The frame on a Pete is a little bigger then a chebby, and doesn't flex as much. But that doesn't mean it is right for the larger truck either...

Not trying to be mean, but N2TRUX is 100% correct. You need to spread the load over a larger area, not have any sharp edges, and brace it with soft edges diamond plates welded over the cut area. What you have is a ton of stress on a small area, and a "brace" that gives a nice point for the frame to crack. It WILL crack. Tomorrow? Probably not? The day after? Again, probably not. When a loved one is driving the truck with a bus full of nuns and handicapped children coming in the other direction? Well, only one way to find out...

The best thing you can do now is grind into the welds and really burn some metal in with a stick welder if you can. Then weld on the diamond shaped pieces like N2TRUX posted. One inside, one outside, and two pairs on the two and bottom edges can't hurt.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #16
78maliburat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
The frame on a Pete is a little bigger then a chebby, and doesn't flex as much. But that doesn't mean it is right for the larger truck either...

Not trying to be mean, but N2TRUX is 100% correct. You need to spread the load over a larger area, not have any sharp edges, and brace it with soft edges diamond plates welded over the cut area. What you have is a ton of stress on a small area, and a "brace" that gives a nice point for the frame to crack. It WILL crack. Tomorrow? Probably not? The day after? Again, probably not. When a loved one is driving the truck with a bus full of nuns and handicapped children coming in the other direction? Well, only one way to find out...

The best thing you can do now is grind into the welds and really burn some metal in with a stick welder if you can. Then weld on the diamond shaped pieces like N2TRUX posted. One inside, one outside, and two pairs on the two and bottom edges can't hurt.
Wow dont throw handicapped into it ...never know ones disabilities ?? as for the frame any more of an angle the frames wouldnt match up frame isnt flat on the bottom crawl under one and look everone does their frames different ..didnt ask for anyones opinion just showing my way
Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #17
ozark

[QUOTE=Altec;4566619]The frame on a Pete is a little bigger then a chebby, and doesn't flex as much. But that doesn't mean it is right for the larger truck either...

You can't be more wrong, the frame on a truck grossing 80,000 wt. flexes alot more than a chebby just driving up and down the road
ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
HAHA WHATEVER
Shrug it off if you like, but that is poor construction. As for having a your "96 pete" done the same way, that scares me even more. I'm no expert on Peterbuilt frames, but I was under the impression they were heat treated and you should never drill or cut them.

It's your truck so do as you see fit. Just don't post it as an example of how a frame splice should be done and not expect to get negative feedback.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #19
BigBlocksRule

[quote=ozark;4566770]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post

You can't be more wrong, the frame on a truck grossing 80,000 wt. flexes alot more than a chebby just driving up and down the road
The tractor part of your rig weighs 80K?

A butt weld is the weakest, the "Z" configuration shown above is the strongest. It takes longer, but it's by far the best. The weld is much more brittle than the surrounding steel and will be the first place cracks will show up from vibration, etc.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #20
Altec
Getcha Pull

Quote:
Wow dont throw handicapped into it ...never know ones disabilities ?? as for the frame any more of an angle the frames wouldnt match up frame isnt flat on the bottom crawl under one and look everone does their frames different ..didnt ask for anyones opinion just showing my way
It was a example, I hope you realize what I was getting at by that remark.

What angle? When did I say anything about angle? You should have simply did it like pictured in this thread. If the people in this thread have enough room, you do too. And I don't need to crawl under anything. I have the bed pulled off my factory SWB, and all I gotta do is take tree steps off my porch to get to it.

You didn't ask for opinions, but we don't need someone who searches for proper frame shortening on 67-72 finding this thread and thinking a vertical butt weld is proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
I really hope he doesn't have 80k of weight on the frame of the tractor. honestly, I know semis flex. It isn't the weight though that is flexing them. If anything it acts to keep it planted on the ground. It is the torque. You can see twisting frames on nothing more then a HO engine... I really just glazed over the subject because I'm not here to talk about his semi. I'll let the DOT man handle that if he feels it is is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Shrug it off if you like, but that is poor construction. As for having a your "96 pete" done the same way, that scares me even more. I'm no expert on Peterbuilt frames, but I was under the impression they were heat treated and you should never drill or cut them.

It's your truck so do as you see fit. Just don't post it as an example of how a frame splice should be done and not expect to get negative feedback.
Huh, I wasn't aware the Peterbilt frame was heat treated. Good to know! Granted, I'm no HD mechanic... Does make sense to why they break the way I've seen!
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
I DID MINE YESTERDAY
Doesn't look like you even prepped the metal before you started welding, at least on the bottom fish plate. Glad I don't have to share the road with you. You should really take into consideration the feedback you have been given, after all it is to help you, not be mean to you.

Last edited by bigblock73; 03-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #22
78maliburat

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post

No were in my post did i say this is the way it should be done please read i did it my way you do it yours ..DONT WANT A PISSING MATCH...and big truck frames arent heat treated they cut the factory the fronts are usually all the same but they cut the rears for the wheelbase specs..oh you have a nice truck theres some positive feedback right theyre
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
67swb72klb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLER TIME View Post
What is the easiest way to convert a long bed frame into a short bed...?
he did say EASYEST
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #24
BigBlocksRule

Easiest is to find a good short frame, use a hoist and swap everything across.
You guys should try doing this to an '88 - '98, those frames are hourglass shaped and a royal pain. I'm grafting a '97 1-ton 4x4 front frame clip onto a '94 cab & chassis, then shortening the frame to shortbed length and converting to dually along with 4-link. Cool thing about the cab & chassis is they have straight frame rails, a lot like the '73 - '87 trucks, much easier to work with. Frames are welded under the front of the cab, I'm grinding welds to separate them, then slipping them back together just like the factory did. It'll be a lot of work, but there will be no welds on the frame other than in the factory location.
Oh, engine will be pump gas 565, looking to burn 6 at a time
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #25
ol'red77

Quote:
No were in my post did i say this is the way it should be done please read i did it my way you do it yours ..DONT WANT A PISSING MATCH...and big truck frames arent heat treated they cut the factory the fronts are usually all the same but they cut the rears for the wheelbase specs..oh you have a nice truck theres some positive feedback right theyre
I beg to differ with ya i drive an 08 peterbilt superdump with a reliance tub on it everyday at work and there is stickers on the the frame telling you not to drill or tap or weld on the frame rails at all!!!! so yours must be different
ol'red77 is offline   Reply With Quote