The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
darush01

What did i do wrong?

My waterpump on my 83 was leaking so i took everything apart, replaced the pump cleaned new to this truck pump them the block them used rtv to glue the gasket to the pump put everything back together then added water and it poured out of the bolt hole right above bottom rad hose, i replced gasjet again cleaning everything again it still leaked i finally used two gaskets and stopped the leak but now im paranoid it might blow the gasket out
Posted via Mobile Device
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
muddnutz

Re: What did i do wrong?

is the pump warped somehow? how many miles on pump? new ones fairly cheap
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
darush01

Im dead broke so i pulled the pump off the 305 i had sitting in the corner, its supposed to have around 100,000 but the van ran fine had no leaks trans went out and it sat for 10 yrs before we pulled the motor and scrapped the van, but i checked the suface it loojex flat and clean
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
darush01

Just to add i had to modify a few things to get it to work because its off of a late70's gmc van and now on an 83 chevy, so a few acessories didnt line up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
rayfinseats

You do know that when the water pump goes out, they leak out of that little hole behind the pulley?
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #6
darush01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
You do know that when the water pump goes out, they leak out of that little hole behind the pulley?
Yes, thats why i replaced it in the first place, like i said i stopped the leak by doubleing the gasket but im not sure if this will hold up, i saw the water pouring from between the pump and block near the bottom bolt hole.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Darush. If you used RTV to seal the gasket to the pump & block chances are more than good that teh gasket split because the RTV acts like a lube on the gasket. The space between the hole and the outside is pretty small. First check to see if the mounting flanges on the pump are flat and free of defects. Next, when you install the pump, IF you use a sealer, use a contact type cement or shellac based sealer. Lastly, use a thread sealer on the bolts like pipe dope or GM part #1052080 pipe thread sealer. Let us know how you make out. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
allengator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Darush. If you used RTV to seal the gasket to the pump & block chances are more than good that teh gasket split because the RTV acts like a lube on the gasket. The space between the hole and the outside is pretty small. First check to see if the mounting flanges on the pump are flat and free of defects. Next, when you install the pump, IF you use a sealer, use a contact type cement or shellac based sealer. Lastly, use a thread sealer on the bolts like pipe dope or GM part #1052080 pipe thread sealer. Let us know how you make out. Jim
+1 RTV is not your friend... I only use it for intakes end rails, etc where you dont have a gasket... It WILL cause leaks on small gaskets if not applied VERY evenly!
That may be the issue, or the mount of the pump itself might be pitted, or not not be true....

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
justinburnett

Mine blew out after about 200 miles because of that rtv crap. NEver using it again. Try taking it off, clean and dry the surfaces very well, use one gasket and see what happens. YOU don't want to lose it 600 miles from home and over 100 miles from the nearest parts store. Trust me.
Posted via Mobile Device
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
1LowToy

It's been a long time since I've put a WP on a chevy. But here's something to consider. Do any other accessories bolt onto that location? Is it possible you left out a spacer on that lower bolt and the bolt is bottoming out and not actually tightening down the WP?

Just a thought, as i said it's been a long time. By the way I wouldn't use that WP off the old motor. The seal is probably very dried out and the rust on the WP shaft and bearing will probably wack out the pump in short time.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote