The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
BadaSs_Cal

Hedman header question

SO arrived today!! Hedman header 69310 ( summit via Ebay )
First I would like to say WOW on the shipping, ordered yesterday morning, came today.. Standard shipping! Anyways I actually have 3 questions.

1. I hear your not supposed to use headers on an engine brake in? So run with the stock first ( had leaks)?

2. What to paint the headers with? When? (after the factory paint bakes off?)

3. Mine say for Ca. Whats the difference? I didnt order them that way, they did it automatically.. haha damn California emissions.

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
dhaymaker

Re: Hedman header question

Well, that's interesting. Guess I've never run into the situation in your first question before. I'd say:

1. I've run engines on an engine stand for break-in, running through a set of headers. The only thing I've heard is you shouldn't run a brand new engine through open headers, get it really hot, then shut the engine off. Supposedly, it's not a good idea to let the cool air hit the valves when the engine is new, i.e., it's going to generally run fairly hot at break-in.

2. I've painted headers with VHT paint, after scuffing the factory coating. Of course, having headers coated is the going thing now. If you plan to paint them though, don't wait until the factory paint starts to decay. That will just cause issues later.

3. Potentially, the difference with "for California" exhaust parts is there will be a boss at each port to mount air return or air injection lines.

I'm sure there will be other inputs, but this is just what I've picked up on over the years!

Good Luck!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!

Last edited by dhaymaker; 03-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
BadaSs_Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaymaker View Post
Well, that's interesting. Guess I've never run into the situation in your first question before. I'd say:

1. I've run engines on an engine stand for break-in, running through a set of headers. The only thing I've heard is you shouldn't run a brand new engine through open headers, get it really hot, then shut the engine off. Supposedly, it's not a good idea to let the cool air hit the valves when the engine is new, i.e., it's going to generally run fairly hot at break-in.

2. I've painted headers with VHT paint, after scuffing the factory coating. Of course, having headers coated is the going thing now. If you plan to paint them though, don't wait until the factory paint starts to decay. That will just cause issues later.

3. Potentially, the difference with "for California" exhaust parts is there will be a boss at each port to mount air return or air injection lines.

I'm sure there will be other inputs, but this is just what I've picked up on over the years!

Good Luck!
Maybe thats what I heard, not through open headers.. Kind of sucks because I wanted to break it in before going to the exhaust shop.. No access/room for an engine stand break in.. But Im probably still a few weeks away anyways. Thanks for the inputs man.. Im super siked, this is the most exspensive project that Ive ever under taken... and Im actually not getting bored yet.. and not being my usual cheap ass self...lol (maybe a little but not where its gonna hurt anything)

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
mmmBoost

Its not good to break in a motor with open headers cause you'll potentially stick a valve. The other thing I have heard is your not suppossed to break in a motor with ceramic coated headers for one reason oor another. I'm gonna break in my motor with headers I'll just have to make a run to the exhaust shop first.

Demon 68- C20 (conv. 5 lug) 406sb, TH400, 12 Bolt,

Red Slut 09- 1500 Crew Cab Z71, 2.5" Lift, Comp Cam, Deleted AFM/DoD, Diablo tuner
mmmBoost is offline   Reply With Quote