The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
mrsmothers

trans question

Ok I have a 350 backed by a three on the tree. I have to rev the hell out of it to get it to move, the shift to second ... not so bad... the shift to third pretty much stalls it out even if I shift at 45mph. Any on ever had this problem.
mrsmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: trans question

Sounds like your clutch is slipping. It needs adjusting or replacement. If you have run it like this there is no dought it needs replacement.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
mrsmothers

I really havent run it much like this only a few miles. The clutch dosent start engaugeing intill the peddal is almost out where should it be grabbing at? and how do I adjust it?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I have about 1 to 1-1/2 inches of free play on mine before it starts to contact the throwout bearing and push the pressure plate. Haven't measured it but about half ways through the travel the clutch releases.

To test yours: Park the truck in the street. Start the truck while it's in 3rd and slowly release the clutch while feathering the gas pedal. If the truck dies out or stalls instantly usually indicate that the clutch is at least engaging. If the engine revs higher and little or no forward movement you have slippage.

It's still possible for the clutch to slip once you get moving so if you're not familiar with how to tell the difference have someone that has experience try it.

Also you have to differentiate from choke out of adjustment cold engine revving or lack of fuel starvation revving.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

You should have 1/2 to 1 in. of free play in the pedal. You can adjust it by getting under the truck. There is a treaded adj. rod with 2 nuts, one on each side of the swivel. Adjust these nuts till you get some freeplay in the linkage. Like Gmsee says you should be able to let the clutch out & kill the engine. If you get it adjusted & it won't you are do for a new clutch. These are about the easiest vehicle out there to put a clutch in as clutch replacements go.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
mrsmothers

I am gonna take it by the shop I go to get the clutch adj do you think that driving it eight miles in traffic will kill the clutch?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmothers View Post
I am gonna take it by the shop I go to get the clutch adj do you think that driving it eight miles in traffic will kill the clutch?
If it slips that bad it will be garbage when you get to the shop
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
mrsmothers

I think I may have it adj if I put it in 1st and give it no gas and let it out it stalls. But I still have to rev the hell out of it to get it to go. Same thing for 3rd if I give it a little gas it will still die in 3rd.

Last edited by mrsmothers; 03-18-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #9
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmothers View Post
I think I may have it adj if I put it in 1st and give it no gas and let it out it stalls. But I still have to rev the hell out of it to get it to go. Same thing for 3rd if I give it a little gas it will still die in 3rd.
If the clutch is slipping, the eng wont die out in 3rd , it will rev up & the truck wont go anywhere. 1 way I like to check, is to pull a hill in 2nd or 3rd....step down on the throttle. If the motor revs up, you have a bad clutch, but if it slows down(buck ,snort, ect), the clutch is ok...you have a tuning issue. Hope that helps,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

When my nephew asked me if he could have my 69 chevy I asked him if he was willing to dive in and learn how to work on it 'cause these old trucks need a lot of tweaking. He said he'd rather just buy a newer car.

Become familiar with the clutch and how it works do a little research and ask the members on this site. I've found out there's a lot of knowledge here and it's free!

Here's a pic of your clutch linkage someone posted before. Loosen the lock nut and make sure you have the proper adjustments first. Be prepared to spend anywhere from $500 on up to fix it. You will probably need clutch and pressure plate, throw out bearing and maybe the flywheel. Can cost $600 or more.

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
mrsmothers

Well got the clutch fixed it runs great!!!!!!! But now for some reasion the it keeps getting stuck between gear . Its in the colum I will go to move the gear lever and it wont move you have to open the hood and hit the part that shifts with a hammer. Is there any way to fix this?