The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

Just sharing some new parts for the old C-30 interior

Warm weather finally appeared so shop time is becoming a lot more enjoyable when time allows. I admit, it has been a long winter here and was getting tired of merely thinking about the direction for this truck's interior and other details.......so I finally got the parts ordered for this soon to be project and here they are!

I had already found a new gauge cluster this winter on ebay but it is an odd one where it didn't have the lower left ac vent cut out but was factory pressed out in the upper right corner for ac. Probably why it sold for $40. (My 85 does not have ac)

So, to give it a storage tray, rather than try to cut my old one and "glue it in", someone here suggested I buy the vent adapter, which I have, and with a new modifed back plate that will replace the storage tray problem when that's installed. Better idea and the right way to do it. Thanks Forum.

Another "detail" goes back to when I bought this truck a year ago the front marker lights were really faded out from the years, so I added those to the order too, and tonight was a quick refresh of that detail. I give LMC good marks on this item. It was a clean fit, not crap. Just one of those details I notice even if no one else sees it or cares and it was the cheapest for the buck.
Before:
After:

The rest of the parts are all dash and door panel updates which it needs. Including a new clear lens too since if I go this far into it then it just needs it too.
Current Dash:
Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have some nice springtime weather to work in the shop for a change.
Future Dash and interior upgrades:

Even the ebay Scottsdale dash emblem showed up today!(thanks restorob for that ebay link)

At least the parts are all in although I'm betting on some hidden surprises when I pull the old dash. After over a year I still smell a musty mice smell after discovering an old nest in the gauge cluster! Look forward to refreshing this interior soon!

By the way, if anyone comes across some oem c-30 fender emblems for this 85; I am looking. It came with GMC ones and it would be nice to replace those with what should be on the fenders. (just another detail)

Gotta admit it is nice to now have this project ready to move forward when time allows. It was a long winter and I've long since over-killed thought in this topic.

So after a winter of watching so many of you do so much on your trucks it is nice to have something also to share on another project pending for this old C-30.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-17-2011 at 08:28 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: Just sharing some new parts for the old C-30 interior

I can not tell you how much I like your posts and threads...they are so informative and loaded with pictures...I love them...you explain everything in detail...instead of getting hey look at my parts, we get the background and a description of everything...like I said I love it...

anyways, it looks like you're doing a great job on the details of the 1 ton...I need to do some detail work on my little diesel...I'm really curious to see how those upper stainless pieces fit in your factory door panels...are you putting them in your factory door panels or did you buy panels from lmc also?...those stainless strips are one of the main things I want to change in my interior...I was going to go crazy with my interior because I do custom interiors for a living, but I think I'm just gonna go easy and have a nice custom cruiser...

thanks for the informative post...

Chuck
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
muddnutz

THATS IT!! IM JEALOUS!!! lol supposed to be 80 here tomorrow wish i had new parts for mine waiting. wont be long cant wait to see whats next.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Pop's C-10

I love that cluster
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

NICE Mark, Glad to help !

With all that new interior, I hope this is going to be your next project; http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=422068 ?
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
RuralRoute C-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
...I'm really curious to see how those upper stainless pieces fit in your factory door panels...are you putting them in your factory door panels or did you buy panels from lmc also?...those stainless strips are one of the main things I want to change in my interior...I was going to go crazy with my interior because I do custom interiors for a living, but I think I'm just gonna go easy and have a nice custom cruiser...

thanks for the informative post...

Chuck
Thanks Chuck. The door panels will get cleaned and refreshed, same or similar light tan, via my learning to do a dye job. From what I've seen here it can be done and if done right, look good too. Mine are due for an overhaul.

Admitting I've tossed so many ideas around for this and that and the other on this interior project, looking at so many really nice cabs here, but lately I'm looking at doing what probably makes the most sense for my needs and will try to focus on just having a simple, nice, "restored" interior.

Seriously, this is a working truck and not a garage queen despite my leanings at times to take it to that level. I don't want it to reach a level where I am hesitant to use it for what it is intended!

So the plan, at this time, is a refreshing of the oem door panels, some elbow grease to the seat for now, and if any paint touch up at all, it will stay true to the factory tan & black. This way I leave the door metal alone and avoid any oddly painted door jams and such to try to match something contrasting away from the white exterior with the tan & black interior it currently is.

Granted should I ever need to paint the entire cab, the interior may and probably will change then. Yet realistically it is a haul & dump truck that works when it has to so even an option like carpeting is not on the list for that reason.

One noted added detail on the list though, that will just take time and some fabricating, are those two dump levers. There is a plan to change those to something a little less obnoxious.

Thanks again and appreciate all comments, but just thinking simple and clean is how these trucks came out of the factory and that is what I want to see for this one at this time with this "minor" update to its interior.

Admittedly, I'll probably change my mind a few hundred times between now and then but that is the current plan.

Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-17-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
abebummy26

If you're still looking for emblems here they are new. http://www.classicparts.com/1981-87-...ctinfo/59-218/

In addition seeing you build this truck really makes me wish the deal on the truck in my avatar would have worked out. Great job so far.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.

Last edited by abebummy26; 04-05-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
RuralRoute C-30

Appreciate that reference.

Now the question arises; according to the glove-box sticker this c-30 was built as a 'camper special'. So would a Scottsdale serve as an 'original' fender emblem or would a 'camper special' emblem be what was on it to begin with? This emblem kind of confirms the glove-box data.

I have looked and not found a camper emblem for an 85 so inclined to lean towards the Scottsdale. Anything to get that Sierra off this Chevy.

At least you've found me this affordable option. Appreciate. It's all in the details.

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 04-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
abebummy26

It's still a Scottsdale on the fender emblem for sure. It was just an option package. Not a trim level like the Scottsdale is. I just passed on some information someone else on here gave to me. I should probably buy some of those emblems in Silverado trim soon so they don't go up much more in price. I will build a srw k30 someday. So it will be a good thing to have. If I can manage not to loose them.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote