The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
jaybyrd66

lowering question

hey guys, got a couple questions for ya. got a 66 1/2 ton 2wd that im wanting to lower a couple inches. just gonna do a quick cheap job on it. im thinkin bout just cutting the front coils. any idea how many coils i would have to chop off for about 3 inches of drop? and for the rear i have been told that i can just use 3 inch drop blocks, will those work right in these trucks? thanks for any help
jaybyrd66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Re: lowering question

Drop blocks can be inserted after taking apart and replacing the rear U-bolts. Usually come in as a kit.

I believe the general rule is 1'' per loop. I cut a set of 1'' drop srings 1 coil and ended up roughly 2'' down. You may want to start with one coil and see how you end up. All springs are different and no telling what mite happen on old springs.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
kalirodding
CLASSIX Truck Club

If your looking for cheap, Do this. Pull the front coils out and cut 1 1/2 from the front. The rear you can pull out also and cut 2 coils. The back can be done as easy as taking out the top bolt, raising the frame and cutting the coils while still in the truck. Not the best way but it works.
kalirodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
astrochimp

Standard blocks will not work (unless you have leaf springs).
There is a thread on how to make them. Hard part is longer U bolts. IIRC it was posted by TX Firefighter.

Rear springs are pigtailed at each end, so "I" would not cut.

Thread is in the FAQ's
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=196457

Last edited by astrochimp; 03-20-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: link
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
jaybyrd66

thanks for the replies everybody. and thank you very much for the link astro, it really helped me out
Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
LILJP's66

I cut out 2 full coils in the front of my 66 and removed the rears completely. However I live in Cali and the roads are bumpy as hell here so it rides a lil rough but looks cool. Also my frame sits abut 5 inches off the ground and speed bumps are a pain.

Last edited by LILJP's66; 03-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.
LILJP's66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
jaybyrd66

so no springs at all in the rear? is it just sitting on the bump stops now?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
LILJP's66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybyrd66 View Post
so no springs at all in the rear? is it just sitting on the bump stops now?
yes thats right. I am in the process of bagging the truck so this just a quick fix to lowering the truck.

here is a not so clear pic
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
jaybyrd66

hmmm, may be worth a try just to see how i like it. not like i cant just put the springs back in if i dont like it. i had thought about doing that before but wasnt real sure how good it would work. and it doesnt have to ride like a cadilac or anything. i rarely drive the old truck. plus if it rode that good then it wouldnt feel like a truck anymore lol
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
LILJP's66

Quote:
hmmm, may be worth a try just to see how i like it. not like i cant just put the springs back in if i dont like it. i had thought about doing that before but wasnt real sure how good it would work. and it doesnt have to ride like a cadilac or anything. i rarely drive the old truck. plus if it rode that good then it wouldnt feel like a truck anymore lol
I only drive this truck on the weekends but the looks I get make up for the gut bustin. It actually feels like driving in a truck that's lifted 8+ inches with 40" superswampers.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
Scot_Douglas

Many people have gone with stock 97- 02(?) Jeep TJ (wrangler) rear coils to swap out the stock rear coils in the rear end. IIRC, gives a 3" drop and much better ride than the bumpstops.

Check your local 4x4 websites - many have gotten theirs from $free to $20 for a pair.
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
jaybyrd66

hey LILJP when you dropped your truck that far did you have to replace the tracking arm with an adjustable one or are you still using the stock one with no problems?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
LILJP's66

Quote:
hey LILJP when you dropped your truck that far did you have to replace the tracking arm with an adjustable one or are you still using the stock one with no problems?
Everything is stock with no problems. I am running 15" stock rims with remington g78x15 tires. I cant feel any pulling nor have I seen any camber wear.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
jaybyrd66

thanks man, i really appreciate it. i think i may just go that route with it then. im like you, not really worried bout how it rides as long as it looks good while its jarring the teeth out of my head.

Last edited by jaybyrd66; 03-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #15
LILJP's66

no problem. Let me know it you got anymore ?s
Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #16
jaybyrd66

will do man, and thanks again. I hope to get started on it tomorrow. ill try to post some pics of it as soon as i can.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #17
LILJP's66

I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two. Its been raining and my whitewalls hate the rain
Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
jaybyrd66

well i got the front lowered today, cut 2 coils off and she is sitting on the bump stops now, will work on the back end this weekend hopefully. here is a couple before and after shots

before
Name:  before lowering.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  71.7 KB
after
Name:  lowered1.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  59.5 KB
Name:  lowered2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  54.1 KB
Name:  lowered 3.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  53.6 KB
Old 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #19
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_Douglas View Post
Many people have gone with stock 97- 02(?) Jeep TJ (wrangler) rear coils to swap out the stock rear coils in the rear end. IIRC, gives a 3" drop and much better ride than the bumpstops.

Check your local 4x4 websites - many have gotten theirs from $free to $20 for a pair.
Those springs do work great for the pick-ups, but the suburbans are too heavy, as I have just found out, and it will ride on the bump stops with them installed. I wanna say Grumpy had them installed on his pick up and hey worked for fine and could even carry light loads.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
well i got the front lowered today, cut 2 coils off and she is sitting on the bump stops now, will work on the back end this weekend hopefully. here is a couple before and after shots
i had a 5/8 drop on my old '93 C-1500 short/step...it had spindles/springs up front & flip kit, drop shackles, & c-notch in the rear...the front rode great, but with the rear that low i used to dread the crappy Mississippi roads...i can't imagine riding with no springs, lol....hope Tennessee roads don't jar your teeth too much

btw, the front looks great
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #21
Slow Build

Time out.

In your original thread you said you wanted to lower the back of your truck 3". If you take the springs out (something that I would never even consider) you’re dropping more like 7-8". I’m sorry but I don’t agree with LILJP’s66 on this one. Personally I think it would be dangerous and most likely illegal to run with no rear springs. If you hit big enough of a bump it’s going to lift off the bump stops and slam back down. On bumpy turns the rear-end will try to skip out on you. It’s cool being low but you got to be safe.

I would take the advice of some of the replies above and try the Jeep TJ springs. There's lots of info on lowering your truck on this site including some on the TJ spings. Do some searching and reading.

My truck has had the springs cut (not the best thing to do). I’m going to re-do the suspension (at the same stance) with the use of springs, spindles and blocks.
Attached Images

Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #22
kalirodding
CLASSIX Truck Club

[QUOTE=jaybyrd66;4572475]well i got the front lowered today, cut 2 coils off and she is sitting on the bump stops now, will work on the back end this weekend hopefully. here is a couple before and after shots

You have to take the bump stop out. And with a sawzall, cut the bracket that holds it in place. It will give you like 3"s of more clearance. I did that to a few trucks, and worked just fine. NEVER did it bottom out. Unless you go off road or something.
kalirodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #23
jaybyrd66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
Time out.

In your original thread you said you wanted to lower the back of your truck 3". If you take the springs out (something that I would never even consider) you’re dropping more like 7-8". I’m sorry but I don’t agree with LILJP’s66 on this one. Personally I think it would be dangerous and most likely illegal to run with no rear springs. If you hit big enough of a bump it’s going to lift off the bump stops and slam back down. On bumpy turns the rear-end will try to skip out on you. It’s cool being low but you got to be safe.

I would take the advice of some of the replies above and try the Jeep TJ springs. There's lots of info on lowering your truck on this site including some on the TJ spings. Do some searching and reading.

My truck has had the springs cut (not the best thing to do). I’m going to re-do the suspension (at the same stance) with the use of springs, spindles and blocks.

so you cut your rear springs? how much did you cut off them? ive decided not to take them out completely. just wandering how low i can go by cutting them.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
Slow Build

Quote:
so you cut your rear springs? how much did you cut off them?
It was done by the PO. He didn't say how much he took off, but he did say he re-pigtailed them. It's a liveable ride but I'm going to upgrade.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #25
LILJP's66

I haven't had any bad experience as of yet and I think the pan-hard bar would stop the rear end from sliding. My frame is fastened to the lower arms so it doesn't jump up when I hit bumps. Hopefully I will be putting bags in shortly.