The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
flatbed51

Help with info on tilt telescopic steering column

Had a Caddillac tilt/telescopic steering column given to me today, but the guy did not what year it came out of, only that he has had it for over twenty years. Everything seems to work good on it. I am wondering can an aftermarket steering wheel be put on to it.
Attached Images

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
55metalmonkey

Re: Help with info on tilt telescopic steering column

looks like one from late 60's to early 70's closest image I could find was a 69 in google images.
Generaly any aftermarket one should fit. not that I'm any kind of expert in the subject but the one I have is a 63 caddy and I've tried a few wheels that were laying around the shop, an aftermarket Grant out of a camaro, some no name one that I have no idea what it came out of and a stock one from a jeep comanche.... they all fit no problem so I would imagine yours would be the same.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
OrrieG

I am going thru the same thing with my 82 eldo column. They make adaptors but they cost around $100 and work with the steering wheel manf. wheels which cost about $250. You can do a search on line and find them.

If you go to the HAMB board and search you can find where guys have taken another wheel and modified the horn button to work like the telescope lock. If I remember right it takes some surgery on both columns.

On the Caddy (and similar Buick Olds and Corvette) columns the wheel mounts to a splined shaft like a regular column. But the shaft moves up and down. The telescope lever bolts to the inside of the column and expands a wedge at the end of the short shaft to lock the column. A regular column will fit the splines but will move up an down about 6". Figuring out how to mount a bolt on the back of the horn button assy and getting the geometry right so it is aligned in the wheel when locked will be trial and error. I think it also defeats the horn, so you will need to have a separate button.

I picked up an extra column for free to and am going to use it for experimenting on later on. What I have works to get it on the road.

Last edited by OrrieG; 03-21-2011 at 12:09 AM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
fredscarryall

you can tell the year by how much the telescopic moves in and out. if it moves 2 inches it a 84-89.if it moves 3 inches its 69-83. i have one in my 1950 suburban. if you look on grantproduct.com and download there car/truck/suv catalog.grant was the only one i have found that makes anything for the aftermarket in cadaillac telescopic steering wheels. i used there website to get the part numbers and ordered the parts from summitracing.com. if your telescopic moves 2 inches the telescopic install kit is grant part # 6400 for 3 inches its grant # 6401. both are in stock and are $96.00 each. but just to let you know you have to use a signature series steering wheel with the 5 mounting holes. i used the grant signature series #1178 and it was $155 from summit.but i think they have signature series steering wheel starting at about $100 .everyone that has sat in my truck cant believe how comfortable a wood steering wheel can be. i dont know if you have used summit racing before but they only charge $11.50 for shipping and you get it in about 3 days with ground shipping depending on where you live. check out these pics. but before you do anything make sure the turn signal cancel switch works.they are nitorius for going out. because if it doesnt work your turn signals wont shut off automatically when you return the steering wheel back to center.unless you buy a $100 cancel switch and take the column apart. but some of people i have talk to dont mind manually returning there levers back. hope this helps
Attached Images

Last edited by fredscarryall; 03-21-2011 at 12:42 AM.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
55metalmonkey

Ya the horn was an issue for me too but I decieded a long time ago to move it to the floor just to avoid the headaches.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
OrrieG

Fred was more ambitious than me, last year when I saw the cost of all the pieces I just moved on a did not save the link.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
flatbed51

Thanks for the input on the column. After looking into it, I decided to take the column to Pate Swap Meet next month and let someone else have it.

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
rhuble64

hi guys, i have a column that looks just like the one flatbed has. i am missing the plastic part behind the locking lever. it won't lock in place. it was in pieces in the column when i pulled the wheel. do you know where i can find parts? thanks for any help ron
rhuble64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
slimneverdies

Had a similar question... Can I use the original steering wheel from the ad trucks and install it on a later model chevy tilt column. I like the original steering wheel but want the adjustably of a tilt column....
Posted via Mobile Device
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Once you take the wheel apart you'll see how the telescopic lock plate works. I have one in another truck that I locked into the most outward position, and then installed a standard aftermarket wheel without issue.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
Once you take the wheel apart you'll see how the telescopic lock plate works. I have one in another truck that I locked into the most outward position, and then installed a standard aftermarket wheel without issue.
Was this a reply to me? I'm trying to keep the stock steering wheel.. I want to change the column to a tilt.
Posted via Mobile Device
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
Was this a reply to me? I'm trying to keep the stock steering wheel.. I want to change the column to a tilt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, thought I had hit the "quote" button. As for your question, I'm not sure.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
rhuble64

i took this column, late 60's early 70's caddy, tilt, telescopic, and my '63 steering wheel fits great. hope this helps
rhuble64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
OrrieG

after this thread first appeared I got out my stock wheel to see if it looked like it would fit. The way I have my column set the stock one is dished too deep and would be too close to the seat.