The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
structures

pneumatic hacksaw died

I can't seem to keep a pneumatic hack saw. I first bought a cheapy from harbor freight used it for a couple of weeks and then it slowly just stopped working one day. Sat it to the side and picked up a IR 429 saw. Used it for a couple of weeks then it did the same thing. Slowly stopped cutting.

I have a water filter before the tool and it is down line of the compressor. There is plenty of iron pipe between the compressor and filter.

What is strange is that I noticed on the day each tool died I used a couple of drops of Kobalt air tool oil. Then almost immediately... maybe a couple of minutes of total cutting time the saw just slows down and eventually dies. I have tons of air tools and I always use this oil on other tools with out problems.

Is there anything else? Are pneumatic saws more fragile than most air tools? Do you think the oil may be the cause? Please let me know what you think.

1965 Chevy C10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374373

1997 Chevy K2500 6.5 diesel
structures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: pneumatic hacksaw died

Robert, I don't know a lot about these beasts and a quick google only brought a link to this thread.
I would be tempted to dismantle the HF one and see if you can determine what killed it.
And look in your paperwork for a 1-800 tech line for the pricier one.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with more helpful info.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
structures

Well I haven't done anything with the HF one but since the IR was still fairly new I was able to swap it for a new one. The HF was only like $18 on sale, but like you're saying I do want to tear it down, just haven't.

I asked the guys over at the garage journal and they were saying the air saws are finicky. I haven't used the new saw yet but I'm going to take extra precautions this time around. I want to get an oiler and a better filter for my system before I use it.

1965 Chevy C10

Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Cool you got it replaced! When you break open the other, please post pics.
I'm sure I'm not the only one with the urge to dismantle things.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
structures

okay so it has to be me over oiling this thing. I got my second one and put 3 or 4 drops of oil in it. Then hooked it up to my paint line which has a desiccant filter on it in addition to water separator. Made about 6 inches of cut and it froze. This time instead of sending it back. I broke it down and cleaned it, then lightly lubed it, put it back together and it went to working again.

I did take some pics but I didn't upload them. It has this very intricate plunger system, which I think makes it so sensitive. I'm going to get the recommended IR lubricant and see how it fares. But I did get it working again.

1965 Chevy C10