The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
maxreps

Rear springs/shackles question

Bought new 4 leaf rear springs for my 1/2 ton '76 long bed step(has a flip kit). Two reasons - the ones on it were prob original and they seemed to bottom out too easliy when carrying mulch, etc. the 2nd reason was that unloaded the rear was very stiff, so much that I thought it was hitting the factory bumpstops(had them removed and it still was harsh, so I know that wasn't the issue). My question is that when I'm tightening nuts on the shackle bolts, is the shackle design meant to have the nuts tightened to "pinch" the shackle/spring together? Or are both ends of the shackle(spring end & frame mount end) meant to pivot freely as if they were a hinge joint.
I saw that the bushings in the new spring's ends have "teeth" on them so I assumed the nuts were supposed to be tightened down enough to "pinch" the shackle to the leaf. Making those teeth grab.. But after driving it, the ride is still pretty harsh so then I wondered if the nuts should be loosened to allow more free movement.
BTW, the ride height went up .75" drivers & 1" psngr side, both sides are equal now too. Pleased with those 2 things but am still looking to ease the stiffness up a bit.

Last edited by maxreps; 03-23-2011 at 10:15 PM.
maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
1LowToy

Re: Rear springs/shackles question

Yes they should be tight and let the bushing do it's thing. Sure do wish my wife would let me have my money to by new springs She did let me have new front springs this month, maybe next month
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
maxreps

Re: Rear springs/shackles question

Got them from JC Whitney for 210-215 shipped(they had a free shipping thing at the time). Before ordering I used the mfr part number listed on their site to shop around and make sure they were listing the right part. They were and had the best price by $15-70. thanks for the reply too
maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote