The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Losing motivation

im losing motivation on my crew cab project. the body work drains my energy for really working on it

I need motivation any good advise would be really apriciated

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Telecasterjoey

Re: Losing motivation

I hear ya man! I just finally took my truck to paint. My only motivation was I didnt wanna do it anymore
Posted via Mobile Device
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
wiggins

Look at pics of some finished ones, that always works for me.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Best bit of advise I can give you is walk away from the body work for a few days. If you keep going and get really tired you'll start to take short cuts and rush, and before you know it you're not happy with it. You need a change of pace, so to speak. Find some small parts of the project that you can complete easily and relatively quick and you'll start to feel like you're getting somewhere and the motivation will start to come back. Those small things include the little things you're dreading, maybe some wiring, finding misc. things you'll need for later, sometimes getting those out of the way takes alittle of the frustration out, and lets you get back to the basics. On the other hand some poeple need to just walk away all together for a bit, I'm not one of those, I usually just do what I stated above and work on those little things buggin ya in the back of your head. If that makes any sense, hope it helps.

2020 Silverado Trail Boss - 6.2/10spd
Dalaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
sumran

There are lots of hungry paint and body guys out there right now. Shop around a little and you can find one that can do it almost as cheap as you can do it yourself. It may not be quite as satisfying as doing it yourself, but there are lots of other things to do on the truck while you wait.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumran View Post
There are lots of hungry paint and body guys out there right now. Shop around a little and you can find one that can do it almost as cheap as you can do it yourself. It may not be quite as satisfying as doing it yourself, but there are lots of other things to do on the truck while you wait.
Agreed! For some reason the business is SLOW around here right now..
Posted via Mobile Device
texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
bmchevy1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalaigh View Post
I'm not one of those, I usually just do what I stated above and work on those little things buggin ya in the back of your head. If that makes any sense, hope it helps.
that is the way I am
81 GMC C3500 cab-chassis dually with utility bed 350sbc, Sm465, 14bolt with 4.10s nv4500 getting ready to go in
1979 Chevrolet K5 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434096
1976 Chevrolet C10 R.I.P. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=434195
bmchevy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Altec
Getcha Pull

When it comes to my own junk I'm always jumping between things to mix it up. Keeps it from getting annoying. Like right now I have my engines accessories, my steering components, and my pedals I'm working on. While doing that I'm plans my next moves. Like getting my clutch ready on the transmission, and planning a rear axle swap.

All the while looking at other peoples builds saying "Mines gonna be better!." But, that is sorta like how everyone things their kid is cuter...
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
wiggins

Or you could just buy my 87' crew cab dually, its almost finished. Youve seen it before but not sure what it would cost to go to Denamark.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
pig rig

when I lose the motivation I go to a car show and then I start my one hour a night deal witch is I have to go out and work on it for an hour. it workd pretty good because its hard not to start fittling with something while you stand around in the shop and I also switch it up alittle when I'm doing body work. after a few nights of sanding I might do some fab work or work on something else
back when my sister drove apile of shOt it was a good chance I'd work on that 1 or 2 nights a week so that realy help change it up

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
b454rat

I hear yah!!! I lost so much in mine I tried to sell it or selling parts off of it. But didn't get much interest in either, so might as well finish it. The winter wonderland doesn't help either, truck sits outside.

But what helps me is when I get done, there will not be another like it around here.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
John Gilbert

Drink coffee, it works for me.
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

I agree with taking a break, just walk away from it for a while if you can. I also agree with the 1 hour limit per day Pig mentioned. That way you're making progress but still not burning yourself out on it. I walk out to the garage and look at mine and get overwhelmed at times but I keep the picture in my mind of how cool it's gonna be when I'm done with it. It helps me too, to keep in mind that I'm building a truck to use as a truck, not a trailor queen, so I'm not getting too stressed about everything being "factory" new. Keep your chin up and you'll get there someday.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
chrismoore701

get your butt to a car show, that will tweak you interest
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

DONT WALK AWAY NOW ! you've come to far, take a break ,buy some parts.
come over here and work with me for a year, you'll get a break and save some cash to spend on it.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #16
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Thanks guys i may try the one hour idea
but gotta clean out the shop first

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
wiggins

There ya go regroup and get back at it!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
camshaftgsxr

what worked for me was buying a small car, granted my car handles really good and is cool in its own right, but when i drive my truck after driving that car i feel like too much of a bada$$ to sell it... and trust me i've come close. i got in it to drive it to let a guy look at it that had cash, and half way there i called him and told him no thanks lol
Old 03-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #19
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Don't you want to go to car shows and take pictures?

Last edited by gchemist; 03-26-2011 at 03:02 PM.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
2badgn

Moderation in everyhting. If u r overwhelmed, delegate the work to other people. Remember that ultimately, its a truck that u will drive & use so there are somethings that wont come out perfect but that's ok.

As long as u can enjoy driving it!

I let mechanics work on my truck bc im not too mechanically inclined but the planing & money process can be overwhelming at times.

Taking small breaks helps as well as seeing other guy's trucks on this website.

Good luck and do other things that u enjoy. Never rush a project. It will get done.
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #21
jrcaprai

I have been there... sometimes you just need to take a break... could be months or years... mine was a few years and I have been really motivated again... just don't sell it
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #22
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

It just takes time. If you get burnt out on it, just walk away for awhile. Sometimes we just need to reboot the brain and the desire to finish it will come back one day.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #23
orbot

This thing takes time...ive been there before, cash ran out lots of work to be done, just take some time off it but never loose sight of the ride and go back when the time is fine.
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #24
DetroitDan

I'm in the same boat, I bought my crew project in November of 09, spent a couple weeks working hard, got it running right, changed all four doors and the bed, then I towed it to my cousins to use his lift to change the flexplate. Left it there and "outta sight, outta mind". It sat for months and months, got it back and did some body and paint work (not done, but good enough to drive around). Drove it a few weeks then I brought it back to again use his lift, this time to install the suspension lift. Didnt quite finish it so it's sitting outside his shop...again. I want to just bring it home and work on it outside, but my yard is a muddy mess right now. I really think if I had to look at it everyday I'd make time to work on it.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #25
cayoterun

I'm glad to see this topic. I was getting the blahs on my truck. First time ever, and was blaming it on spring fever. I see I'm not the only one.
I think the wife and I will grab the travel trailer and take off for awhile to destination unknown.
Let's all take a break, let the bruises and skinned places heal up, then jump in again.
Cayoterun

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote