The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
xero_gto

Looking for tips on how to start the restoration.

Hey Y'all,

Like the title says, i'm trying to figure out the best way to start my restoration. This is my first one, so i figured the best thing to do would be of course strip it down to the frame first. Then get any rust there off, put new springs etc on, then Poly frame mounts. I'm also trying to find the best place to find a used SWB since i want to get rid of the step side i currently have. I found one place where i could buy a brand new one for 2200. But i would like to use that as a last resort since thats costly. I would greatly appreciate any ideas to point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance for the help! Oh, and i won't be starting this build for atleast another month. Thats when i'm expected to leave the middle east and head home.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Re: Looking for tips on how to start the restoration.

First off, thanks for your service. Sounds like you have the right idea! Start at the bottom and work your way up. And make sure you bag and label EVERYTHING you take off. It will save you tons of time later. I also take pictures as I go to be able to look back at in case I hit a snag. (which will happen) Good luck and please share some pics!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
cdowns

to start have a detailed plan and a realistic budget in place
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Roscoep

Do the work in manageable chucks with a written plan. Going at it without a plan can be overwhelming and you can become dishearten.

Robert
71 Chevy SWB
Roscoep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Jimmyc

First off, I also want to thank you for your service! lotsa wisdom in above posts. Speaking from experience decide before you start if you want to end up with a show truck or someting you can use. Good luck, keep us posted.
Jimmyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Thank you for your service.

I like to start by driving one a while.It gives me a chance to see what I think would be the right changes.If you're doing a restore to stock then that doesn't matter.If you want better braking,better handling,and an altered stance then those are all easy to do but still a lot cheaper if you start out going there rather than changing down the road.Add 50% to whatever you think the budget needs to be.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
brad_man_72
the boat guy

don't bite off more than you can chew. It's hard to stay motivated when you can't drive your truckfor a long period of time. Especially if this is your first restoration, you might find a truck that needs somme small projects done more desireable than a truck needing a frame off restoration.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
stich626
Account Suspended

thanks for your service..
now, a few things
1) a good marker
2)zip lock bags
3)digital camera

with these trucks you can pick at them while driving it..or blow it apart and go..
the blow it all apart and go, sounds great.. I have a chevelle in this state,
you'll find that the time YOU THINK it should take is half of what it will!! and the budget you've planned is only 1/2 of what in the end you'll have spent (if your lucky)
with that said, I'd do it in steps,
take the bed off and do the rear frame and long arms, rear ends etc
then maybe rebuild the front end and brakes , then the engine tranny, wire'n , body work, and then interior..
remember Mr. Murphy will be with you the whole way, and is part of why things will take longer than you plan for..
good luck..

Last edited by stich626; 03-26-2011 at 12:24 AM.
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
ItsRandy

As others have said, make a plan. Planning is key but don't be suprised when you begin to work your plan and your plan starts to expand in scope (happened to me, big time). When you start taking your truck apart you will find problems you didn't plan on. After you have a plan start ordering the parts before you need them, back ordered, discontinued or otherwise unavailable parts will put the screws to your time table. Be realistic with what you want the finished product to be and with your abilities/budget, nothing worse than diving into the deep end then finding out you can't swim (life savers can be expensive). Above all, have a blast with your project, 'cause if it ain't fun...it ain't worth it.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
xero_gto

First, thanks for all the kind words about my service to the country. I'm just doing my job!

Now, right now the plan i have in my head is this.

I'm going to get the truck in the garage and strip it down to the frame, I already have my boxes and plastic bags ready with sharpie. Next i want to strip any rust/dirt/grease off the frame. sand it down and coat it with protectant. Then i figured to put next shocks/springs control arms etc etc. just basically go over the suspension and misc parts and replace as necessary. After that i hit kind of a wall. I'm wanting to change the color of the truck from black to a bright cobalt blue. I'm trying to figure out should i should go about that? Since i already have the truck stripped down, would i procure a trailer and take it over to the paint shop. or would i just go ahead and put the truck back together and have it done later on. I'm trying to think of the easiest/cheapest way to get this done.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Eddie H.

I would recommend putting it together first, except for (chrome, glass, weatherstrip, interior, and moldings) then take it to a REPUTABLE, HONEST, painter.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, make sure you get a detailed signed contract from the paint shop spelling out exact cost, details, and completion date.

I know this from personal experience because it took me nearly nine years to get my parts back from the paint shop.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
stich626
Account Suspended

your changing the color,, oh boy,,
remember these words paint jail..
a change in color paint job is NOT cheap..
if it was me, I'd while it's apart, get a cheap paint gun and a small compressor and "jam" the truck your new color, what that means is you'll clean ,you'll sand,you'll prime and you'll paint (base color and clear) the under side of the hood, the inner lip of the fenders under hood and infront of the doors, the inner side of the doors, all the painted area you see inside the cab and around the doors
if you can do this , and other than the dash, the paint doesn't have to be perfect unless it's a show truck (trailor queen)
it's very time consuming as the undersides have lots of corners,coves,etc to sand..
and will save you boat loads of money when you go to get it painted..
it's very easy to do, but labor intensive, and when paying others is $$$$$$$$$$$$
spots like inner door or rockers, if they need replacement or patched then you'd not jam them the shop would after replacement..
good luck..

Last edited by stich626; 03-26-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
xero_gto

sounds like im going to have fun. I've never shot paint before, this might get interesting!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #14
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well be for your remove the door's.A few guys in here talk about drilling a small hole for alignment reasons.One other thing Poly mount squeak.And if you can find factory Rubber mounts you be so much more happier.I know of some Comaro Builders and they don't use anything other then Rubber.Rubber dose not new Lube to keep it quit.That is the first tale tale of Noise.No body like going into a parking lot with a squeaky truck.I know a lot of guys in here want you to sand down your truck inside and out and the frame.But do me one favor add up your cost of sand paper and other things you need and find out what a Banking soda sand blast cost you.Funny thing about banking soda you can get it all out of your truck with a water Hose and it dose not hurt the metal.its faster and you can get right to to body and the primering.Remember.the longer the build takes the more chances you have a drifting mind.If you see things getting done it inspires you to get to the next step.

Remember after you put your truck on the frame.Make sure then you bought all the stuff that normally wears out replaced.And don't Buy cheep stuff cus you will do it again in 2 year

I'm a guy that like stock I've built 3 trucks But there not finished they will never be finished.

remember Plum your truck with all new Wire harness Me i like M&H factory harness cus it will last 30 years and plum your truck with a trailer harness cus we never say we will use are truck for that But we do Good luck with your build
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #15
xero_gto

I thought about putting a new harness in, but i haven't crossed that rode yet. I figured id get the truck stripped down and go over the truck to see what really needs to be replaced. I did however find the color i want to paint my truck, trenz68 i happened to run across his truck in the galleries and thats the blue ive been looking for! I shot him a PM asking for the paint code, hope he doesn't mind.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
xero_gto

well after looking around most of the day, i think i found the color code. The truck looks to be dupont hot hues sapphire blue.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
Keith Seymore

Maybe I'm the lone voice here, but I would propose something different....

I've had very good success doing a little bit at a time. That way you (or me, in this case) don't get overwhelmed. With my tractor, and my latest pickup, I did just the wheels, and then moved on to other bite sized projects. Once you can complete some small aspect, and see progress, then you are motivated to keep going.

Having said that, I would recommend:

1) Get the truck running and put together enough to drive it.
2) Do small stuff first
3) Consider not taking the cab off the frame. With a pickup truck, once you've removed the box your three-quarters of the way to a "frame off" restoration. You have pretty easy access to almost the whole frame and it will save a ton of work and logistics.
4) Find a paint shop that will promise to get your paintwork done in a reasonable/agreed upon amount of time, and then make them stick to it!

When I did my truck, I chose the local paint shop specifically because they had a good track record with me of finishing smaller projects on time. I told them "I need this back in ONE WEEK" - and they did it! Largely because of that one thing I did the complete cosmetic restoration in 5 months, start to finish, while driving it daily - and - did all the work in the driveway (it's never been inside my garage).

Check my build/intro thread (linked below) for the details and perhaps some other helpful hints.

Good luck -

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 03-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
well be for your remove the door's.A few guys in here talk about drilling a small hole for alignment reasons.One other thing Poly mount squeak.And if you can find factory Rubber mounts you be so much more happier.I know of some Comaro Builders and they don't use anything other then Rubber.Rubber dose not new Lube to keep it quit.That is the first tale tale of Noise.No body like going into a parking lot with a squeaky truck.I know a lot of guys in here want you to sand down your truck inside and out and the frame.But do me one favor add up your cost of sand paper and other things you need and find out what a Banking soda sand blast cost you.Funny thing about banking soda you can get it all out of your truck with a water Hose and it dose not hurt the metal.its faster and you can get right to to body and the primering.Remember.the longer the build takes the more chances you have a drifting mind.If you see things getting done it inspires you to get to the next step.

Remember after you put your truck on the frame.Make sure then you bought all the stuff that normally wears out replaced.And don't Buy cheep stuff cus you will do it again in 2 year

I'm a guy that like stock I've built 3 trucks But there not finished they will never be finished.

remember Plum your truck with all new Wire harness Me i like M&H factory harness cus it will last 30 years and plum your truck with a trailer harness cus we never say we will use are truck for that But we do Good luck with your build
say no to soda blasting,, it comes back to haunt you later..
Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #19
xero_gto

Mr. Seymore, I do appreciate the advice, i also appreciate eveyones comments on giving me the tips to help decided on how to start this project. I'll consider leaving the cab on the truck during the restoration the truck runs and drives as of now. I just haven't driven it since im not home. I still have a lot of research to go through, plus i got a hold of a factory manual that shows where every bolt/nut/washer goes on the truck. So that should be helpful. I understand this is a long exhausting project, but its something ive always wanted to do.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 AM   #20
BadaSs_Cal

Have fun with it! (most important)
I goto car shows when I start to get disheartened... then I get back into the well "might as well" mood.

I also like to put stuff back together as I finish one small piece to see how everything is going so far... It makes it exciting...

I started with the engine first. (Should be running this week!!)

Next is all the body work... still too scared to pull suspension stuff apart.
and if Im going to be stripping and painting the whole bed "might as well" take it off the frame

and "might as well" clean and paint the frame...

and "might as well" put an under bed tank...

and "might as well" .....

just X that might be running this week...hahaha

Next a 50-53!

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447926
BadaSs_Cal is offline   Reply With Quote