The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
bucketObolts

Ohio members, i need help with my title

Or better yet, Anyone from NJ bought a truck from Ohio? Or a state that requires notarizing the title. So long story short, I bought a 69 c20 last month in Ohio. Drove the 1100 miles in 20 hours non-stop other than fuel and food. To make things worse, I left directly from work after an 11 hour day. I picked it up just to use as a donor for small stuff on my 68. But the more I look at it, it's in too good of shape to tear apart. My bowtie heart won't allow it so Im thinking of using it as a side project to give my cummins a little rest during the week. Anyway, since it was to be a parts truck I didnt really care about the title since I wouldnt be registering it. But now Ive been reading on the net that OH titles require notarization? What's this about.?

I actually saw it on the title when I picked it up but figured it was just to register the truck in OH again. That and i was overtired and cranky. So what do I do? Considering diesel is $4.00/gallon, I really don't feel like spending another weeend on the road just to have a paper stamped. Do you know if this is definitely required? Or I have heard of maybe being able to get the seller to have his signature notarized and verified, then I can do the same. If you have any info please, please let me know. Oh yea, and i have already called Ohio and pretty much got nowhere, and I havnt been able to get to my dmv yet (NJ) but they will probably tell me it depends on what Ohio says. Sorry for the novel you just had to read but I can't find any decent answers. Thanks in advance--Bob
bucketObolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Frkypunk70

Re: Ohio members, i need help with my title

I don't think it will be a problem. You may need to mail the title back to him to sign the specific spots on the title and possibly get them notarized (Worse Case Scenario). We have to have our titles notarized here in Pa too. But I've sold cars to people out of state and did'nt have to get it signed or notarized. Definately check with your DMV first.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
bucketObolts

Yea, Ive bought 3 trucks from PA and never needed notarizing. I just thought of something though...Im in the same situation as someone who let's say bought a car and had a shipping company deliver it. So obviously the buyer and seller don't haveto be present while signing or during the notarization. Right? Anyone done this from a state that required notarizing? Im not going to be able to get to my dmv til next saturday and over the phone is useless with them, but I just wanted to hear your opinions so i can get a hold of the seller before he disappears. He has already signed everything required minus the date since nj has a 30 day law but there is no notary stamp. Obviously I don't want to put a title in the mail for a truck I've already paid for but I may have to
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
JHT67

Unless you trust him enough to send him the title, maybe one of us could be your eyes and ears. maybe someone from here that lives in the area you bought it could meet up with him and have it notarized. Any car guy in Ohio knows at least 1 or 2 notaries. If you got it close to Columbus or Franklin county, I may be able to help you out.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Frkypunk70

Pretty sure you just bring it to your DMV and transfer it as you normally would (which means waiting in line for hours only to feel like your incoveniencing the person doing there job )
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk70 View Post
Pretty sure you just bring it to your DMV and transfer it as you normally would (which means waiting in line for hours only to feel like your incoveniencing the person doing there job )
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed. I would think all you need to worry about is what New Jersey requires. Call the DMV or go online. You should be able get answers to all your questions.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.

Last edited by kcsa75; 03-26-2011 at 12:22 PM.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

If he signed the title, you should be able to just get the title in your name, you wont have to register it, at least that is the way it is here.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
bucketObolts

As far as I've always known, in NJ when you transfer a title you must register it with proof of insurance and get plates and that starts your 2 week period to get it inspected..which I'm definitely not ready for. I'll probably wind up taking off work early during the week so I can go inconvenience the dmv clerks in person cuz this is bugging me too much to wait. BTW The truck was in Belpre OH right on the West Virginia border. ,not sure what county that's in. I'll keep you posted if I need to call in a favor from someone near there. Ill overnight a case of bud light over Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Rooster's 67

here in texas, you can do a title transfer without registering it for road use. also it may be worth it to hire a title service to do all the paperwork/leg work for ya. I have a service here in dallas we use for all of our title work, them girls down there know thier stuff! alot easier and worth the couple dollars to not have to mess with the Tax office people.

Good luck with the title transfer.
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would try running it through your DMV and not say a word. Worst thing they can do is send you home. Once they stamp it and print you a new title, it's not your problem any more.
If they do tell you to fix it, you might have a problem. Notorys here are required to have both the seller and buyer standing right there before they can stamp off on it. Ohio used to be real slack on this, but they have cracked down. You'll need somebody who 'knows someone' to get it done without you being here.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
willys72fleetside

The only reason that Ohio requires a notorized title is because of the odometer statemnet on the title. Worst case the po can go to BMV and get an odometer discloser statement and notorize that. Shouldn't be any problem it po will work with you.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
bucketObolts

Man i thought NJ MVC was tough but Ive never dealt with anything like this before. Even for the odometer statement all you do is right in the number or check the box that says it has exceeded its mechanical limit, which seems to be all my old trucks. I am going to try contacting the seller once I get his number and will be going to the MVC to see just what I got myself into.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

let us know how it pans out
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
bucketObolts

Got my title transferred!! Well I finally got a chance to get to the dmv and it took a little finagling..SP? but 2 hours later and after talking with 7, count em 7 clerks, I managed to get them to actuallyfeel sorry for me and got the title transferred to my name. I wont lie I was nervous about it. Best of all, I didnt haveto register it right away which I didnt know about in NJ. So anyway thanks for the help guys. I never imagined someone could be so excited about a purple piece of paper before, but Im just glad i dont haveto drive another 1100 miles to get a stamp put on, considering diesel is 4 bucks a gallon now. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
Frkypunk70

Congrats man! That Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time" comes to mind. When he needed the whole DMV to register his Caddy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #16
Longhorn Man

Good for you! I got one in under the radar!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #17
7T2

I have a friend that is a notary in Ohio, and on the last few vehicles I have purchased he only had to witness the SELLERS signature, not mine. This is in the last year or so. I like doing it this way because if I am just going to resell the vehicle I can just pass the title on to the next owner. Probably not 100% legal, but it works.

On another note, I just bought a truck in Michigan, where they don't notarize titles, and I was surprised I didn't have to get either signature notarized to register it in Ohio. I did have to physically take the vehicle to the DMV and have an "inspection" done, which cost four dollars and consisted of a DMV employee writing down the VIN, then comparing it to the title. Didn't even have to get the keys out. I don't know why they can't just make it the same in every state. Too easy I guess...
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #18
bucketObolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T2 View Post
I don't know why they can't just make it the same in every state. Too easy I guess...
Well yea..that would just make too much sense. Learning my way around the board here, I shouldof posted in General Discussion or Regional. Oh well, now I know. Thanks again everyone. Now the 68's just one more step closer from seeing what's beyond the driveway. Last time was 4 years ago and it was being dragged by my snatch truck.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #19
willys72fleetside

Glad to here you got that mess straightened out, titles are such a pain in the you know what..