The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
masterlock

Question Wiring options question

So my truck is stripped down to the frame and I am working on putting it all back together Im just trying to figure out what I should do about wiring. The old wiring was a rats nest and is gone so should I try to get a harness from the salvage yard or go with something like a painless harness. My set up is super simple Dakota Digital dash and no AC. What have you guys done and what is the simplest option in your opinion.
Thanks guys
masterlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Wiring options question

I really like the american autowire stuff. Check out there website. They have a ton of different choices.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
masterlock

Yeah I looked at their stuff it looks great I just get overwhelmed trying to decide. It is such a huge undertaking, kinda freaks me out, I just want simple
Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
cableguy0

Its actually very simple. Each circuit is completely labeled and the instructions are very clear. Dont look at it as wiring an entire vehicle. Look at it as wiring a bunch of different small things. Look at each circuit as a seperate job. It takes time but its well worth it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
masterlock

One more question, do i need to buy the deluxe 18 circuit harness or can I get your basic 12 circuit GM keyed steering column harness like this one:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Electrica...&t_pn=PWP10101

Again Im not running AC or anything crazy
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
cableguy0

Having the extra circuits is good in case you upgrade later on to anything. The 12 circuit is really limited on adding anything. I would personally go with the highway 15 kit from american autowire if your going to use a universal kit.