The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
jmlcolorado

Disk Swap ??........again......

Sorry guys, i know this is like beating a dead horse but i have yet ANOTHER drum to disk conversion question.

Im building a rat rod using a 68 GMC chassis and i am getting ready to move forward with the swap.
My question is will the Chevy C10 parts work on the GMC?
I know the only real diffenance is the trim out between the two makes but im not sure if anything minor is different between the two.

My plan is to use the entire cross member out of a chevy to bolt up to the GMC frame. Unless it'll be easier to just get the spindles, ball joints, calipers, outter tie rod ends and calipers.

Is it worth it to go the whole route and get the crossmember too?
I've read through the "Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread" which spells everything out but my only worry is swaping between Chevy and GMC.

Thanks folks!

Heres a picture of the project
Attached Images

jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: Disk Swap ??........again......

A lot of guys on here have swapped entire crossmembers, but I didn't since the motor was in my truck during my swap and I had no way to support it once the crossmember was removed. I swapped all parts over to the truck and used the factory arms and crossmember. It can't see that there would be a difference from Chevy to GMC stuff.

FYI...I pulled the entire crossmember from the suburban that I used as a donor vehicle, but I didn't install it for the aforementioned reasons. Plus I had to replace all the balljoints, tie-rods, etc anyway, as well as clean and paint everything. LOVE your project!

Last edited by dave2953; 04-05-2011 at 08:10 PM.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
jmlcolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2953 View Post
A lot of guys on here have swapped entire crossmembers, but I didn't since the motor was in my truck during my swap and I had no way to support it once the crossmember was removed. I swapped all parts over to the truck and used the factory arms and crossmember. It can't see that there would be a difference from Chevy to GMC stuff.

FYI...I pulled the entire crossmember from the suburban that I used as a donor vehicle, but I didn't install it for the aforementioned reasons. Plus I had to replace all the balljoints, tie-rods, etc anyway, as well as clean and paint everything. LOVE your project!
As much as i like the idea of swapping in an entire crossmember (I can get the whole setup for $200 at the local yard) I also like the idea of only spending $120 for the things i need! Minus the ball joints.
What is the bolt pattern of the 5 lug trucks in '73?
The current a arms i have now are so worn out that i can move both wheels back and forth almost 1/2"!! Bushings are in order!
Maybe ill just get the spindles, rotors, calipers, ball joints and outer tie rod ends for now, then later down the road if i really dislike the old bushings, ill swap the a arms to the rubber bushed ones.
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

I would change the crossmember it's the easiest and you should be able to find one cheaper I paid $200 for a whole frame and sold the rear parts for $125 You will end up with 5on5 bolt pattern with the 73-87 front suspension .

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Bob 68327 is offline   Reply With Quote