The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Marcosmadness

Identify this ignition switch

This is a photo of the hole in the dash of my 1959 Chevrolet Step Van for the ignition switch. Note that the hole , which is approximately 1" in diameter, has two slots to keep the ignition switch cylinder from rotating after the nut is tightened. All of the replacement Chevrolet truck OEM style ignition switches I have seen have three slots and they are spaced differently. In addition, the ignition cylinder has a nut with 4 slots for tightening (the original nut was used as a spacer to hold a universal type ignition switch). All of the OEM type nuts I have seen have 3 slots. The wiring to the back of the switch appears to be original and uses ring tongues instead of the more modern slip ons/fast ons. Does anyone recognize what switch should go here (Year, model, and where a new replacement switch could be bought). I have a new 1959 Chevrolet truck ignition switch I could use but I would like to use the correct switch if I can find one. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Marcosmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Identify this ignition switch

I am guessing but maybe the step vans were made by someone other than Chevy and the switch might be something like a Standard brand part that a truck jobber would have used?? In the Factory Assy Manuals they show chassis only with steering held in place with a wooden brace and a box of misc parts to be installed at the custom body place. Does the original switch have any manf. info on it (Delco, Standard, etc.)?
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Marcosmadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I am guessing but maybe the step vans were made by someone other than Chevy and the switch might be something like a Standard brand part that a truck jobber would have used?? In the Factory Assy Manuals they show chassis only with steering held in place with a wooden brace and a box of misc parts to be installed at the custom body place. Does the original switch have any manf. info on it (Delco, Standard, etc.)?
This van was made by Chevrolet. It is model 3445, 10,000 GVW. I don't have the original ignition switch, only a modern universal type ignition switch of the type that are found at NAPA/AutoZone. There is a nut, being used as a spacer for the universal type switch, that appears to be the original Chevrolet ignition switch nut. This nut looks like the normal Chevrolet truck ignition switch nut except it has 4 tightening slots around the circumference instead of the more common three slots. Since most/all of the hardware is common to other Chevrolet models I am thinking the original switch may have been used on larger trucks... but that is only a guess. I doubt that Chevrolet made a special ignition switch just for the step vans.
Attached Images

Marcosmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Cool. AD GMC grille and parking lights but Chevy badges!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
mr48chev

You might look through a Napa Echlin electrical parts catalog. They may show a correct switch for that rig. It may have a switch that fits big trucks.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote