The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
chevymadness

my paint is chipping

I got a new paint job about 6 months ago and its already freekin chipping it is chipping on the fender ends well there cracks but im sure if i kick it there would be brittle chips.All of a sudden when i was driving it i looked to the side of my bed and theres a hole! the size of my pinky nail.I could even see the white primer underneath.I was told he used cheap primer and i have a feeling he did he was not a great painter and charged way to much he didnt even put a thick layer of clear coat. He just sprayed clear once it seems and its not even under the lips of the fenders.Im going to have to clear coat it again but i dont know how to take care of this problem the paint seems brittle should i say i think its the primer.I live in texas where it is hot also so the sun doesnt help.. i figure i should put a thick layer of clear coat and protect the paint

i will try to put pics asap

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
pockets

Re: my paint is chipping

sure sounds like bad primer to me. Putting a thick layer of clear isn't going to help any if it is the primer.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

If the surfaces weren't prepped right, all the clear in the world won't help. It'll just keep falling out/off.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
justinburnett

I paint a lot (not cars, houses, but the same should apply here), and if you have a bad foundation for the paint (i.e. poor quality primer, unclean surface, etc), it's just not going to last and I'm sorry about that. Putting clear on, especially on the chipped areas, might help a tiny bit, but bottom line is if it's not holding together down below, it's just going to come off no matter what.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinburnett View Post
I paint a lot (not cars, houses, but the same should apply here), and if you have a bad foundation for the paint (i.e. poor quality primer, unclean surface, etc), it's just not going to last and I'm sorry about that. Putting clear on, especially on the chipped areas, might help a tiny bit, but bottom line is if it's not holding together down below, it's just going to come off no matter what.
yup its not to bad it seems that cracking is only around the ends of the truck like tip of fender or inside where the tailgate goes..But now i just started to see a hole on the top of the bed but sure i guess all i can do is put some clear i doubt it is going to hold up sepcially since its hot as hell here in texas and no moister what so ever.Hope it holds up or im going to be pissed and take it back to him..idk ill see

Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
justinburnett

I'd take it back sooner rather than later. Also if you put clear on yourself he can say that it's your fault because you put some kind of paint on that reacted with his and caused it to release, or some such crap.

I'd just leave it the way it is, take it in, and tell him you want him to re-do it right, or refund you for the bad paint since not only is it going to need re-painted but also stripped. That's just what I would do. The longer you wait the worse it'll be.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
SYCOTIK

A paint job is only as good as the prepwork and what's underneath...
I'd b bringin it back to get fixed right
Posted via Mobile Device
SYCOTIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCOTIK View Post
A paint job is only as good as the prepwork and what's underneath...
I'd b bringin it back to get fixed right
Posted via Mobile Device
yea well i cant take it back i just cant i dont have the time i need the truck for work plus its not that bad ill try to put pics tommarow asap.