The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
martijn

Newbie, old truck

Hi there all.. !
Just found this forum, and thought I'll introduce myself first, before staring shooting questions at ya..

I have a C10 '64, 283 powerglide, fleetside longbed, which I bought in Medford OR, back in '94 when I lived in Ashland OR with family for some months.
I drove across most US-Western states with it (borrowed a canopy from a nice local in Ashland who also owned a C10) for about a month and 15.000 miles later.

Then I shipped it to The Netherlands (where I used to live), and now it's here in Denmark.

Todo's: check technical state after 15 years indoors, replace filters and other necessary stuff (any recomondations, much appreciated!) and get it registered on Danish plates.
The truck is pretty much all original, and I want to keep it that way, it has a bit of surface rust, but I have no intentions to give it a paint job at this time.

More background info and photo's, check: http://chevy64.dk

Last edited by martijn; 04-12-2011 at 01:08 AM.
martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Re: Newbie, old truck

welcome aboard...very cool story...i can't imagine owning a truck & not being with it for so long...i'm sure you're excited to get back into it & drive! love those old travel pictures too...by the way, the truck looks to be in really good shape
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum Martijn

That is a cool story and a good looking truck.

I imagine that these trucks are a bit of a rarity there in Denmark. Is it difficult to get even simple parts such as filters and tune up parts over there?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 04-12-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
duallyjams

Welcome.
Just change all the fluids and check all the lights and charging system, fill it up with gas and enjoy.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #5
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Glad you found this forum.
Lots of really good people here.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
martijn

Thx for all the commends and the welcomes, guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I imagine that these trucks are a bit of a rarity there in Denmark.
Yep, I've only seen one similar 'live' so far.. there must be a couple more though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Is it difficult to get even simple parts such as filters and tune up parts over there?
Shouldn't be too much of a problem, there's two american car parts shops in a 50 mile radius from where I live.. planning on driving by tomorrow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
Welcome.
Just change all the fluids and check all the lights and charging system, fill it up with gas and enjoy.
What about the transmission fluid? It's looking good and at 'top' level, I've heard people say that this doesn't need to be replaced.. Anyone experience on this (NB: this is a powerglide)?

Also I can't seem to find the fuel filter?? There's a pipe going from the tank directly through the floor along the chassis to the pump, no filter on this line. Then from the pump to the carborator nothing either. At the entrance of the carb there's this metal kind of cylinder which can be taken out, not really a fuel filter, but i guess it has somewhat the same purpose? Is it likely that these trucks were shipped without (line) fuelfilter? And if so, would it be worth installing one?
I haven't started the truck yet, going to drain the fuel tank first, but last time i drove with it (15 years ago) it ran smooth...
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by martijn View Post
Also I can't seem to find the fuel filter?? There's a pipe going from the tank directly through the floor along the chassis to the pump, no filter on this line. Then from the pump to the carborator nothing either. At the entrance of the carb there's this metal kind of cylinder which can be taken out, not really a fuel filter, but i guess it has somewhat the same purpose? Is it likely that these trucks were shipped without (line) fuelfilter? And if so, would it be worth installing one?
I haven't started the truck yet, going to drain the fuel tank first, but last time i drove with it (15 years ago) it ran smooth...
That's a sintered bronze filter and, as its name implies, it is indeed a filter. A lot of guys will also add an in-line filter too, your call.

And as for automatic transmission fluid the textbook answer is yes it needs changed. Although to be honest I have never changed it on any of my cars, but then again that's just me. Make sure its at the full mark and keep an eye on the color. My trucks have all been manual shift trannys, which I only change once every 100,000 miles.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Velkommen godt at se flere dansker her

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote