The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

THATS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ON!!!! wiring help

Okay, tonight......took cluster out, replaced all the gauges with new ones, replaced the printed circuit, replaced lights + light sockets, wiper switch and headlight switch....then turned on the headlights to test....guess what happened...my headlights came on but so did my right turn signal...and the column was in the "middle" position....turned signal to right....the light goes off....turned it to left...light came back on (both times it was constantly on)...put key in ignition and turned ignition on....right signal light came on constant....put switch on right turn and the light started blinking...turned on middle...constant....turned on left...and it goes off but the left doesn't turn on and the front turn lights were off time (blinked at different times)...I know I put everything in correctly because I checked everything...does anyone know what could be going on???

Pic...ignition off and on middle position
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: THATS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ON!!!! wiring help

This is a tough one. If it was a problem with the ign on it would be a ground at the right front. With the ign off is a different story. Were any of these symptoms there before the repairs were made? If they were I would suspect a short to B+ someplace in the dash or IP. If they weren't there I would suspect that one of the parts replaced is wrong or defective. Either way the only way to find it is to eliminate each part 1 at a time until the problem is located. Double check all your grounds. There will be a dash ground directly above the emergency brake pedal and 1 at every corner of the truck. 2 near the lamp sockets in the rear and 2 on the rad support under the hood. I hope you saved the old switches. Unplug them 1 at a time and see what happens, plug in the old one and see what happens. None of the switches need be grounded, they are externally grounded thru thier wireing with the exception of the headlight switch if I remember right. The only place where your going to pull your hair out is with the IP cluster. Swap out the guages first 1 at a time including the clock. Then, swap the printed circut. Be real careful with the guage connector tabs (the stainless steel clips) they are known to loose contact rather easily. To fix this, bend the little prong on either side of the clip JUST A HAIR further down towards the printed circut. DON'T BEND THEM TO FAR, THEY WILL BREAK OFF!!! Put a little dab of silicone grease on each prong. I hope this helps you, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Is it just the signal in the cluster, or the ones on the truck that are on, too? If it's just the cluster, one of the ground wires that goes into the connector is loose. Push it back into place from the rear with the cluster plugged in, and you should be fine.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
THE "10" SILVERADO

The only problem that it had before was the right turn light only worked half the time....bad bulb or something I figured...and it's only the cluster lights...the rear and front signal lights work like they are supposed to besides the left side blinking at different times......the cluster lights are the one's that are screwing up and turning on when they are not supposed to
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

sounds like a loose cluster ground. I had a similar problem when I was jacking around with mine. Pull the headlight switch, and the temp gauge pegged. There are 3 (IIRC) grounds in the plug on the cluster. Just push them in gently to get them to seat a little better, and see if that fixes it. Worst case, you may have to pull the cluster back out and check the ground wires that way. Either way, it is definitely a ground issue.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
sounds like a loose cluster ground. I had a similar problem when I was jacking around with mine. Pull the headlight switch, and the temp gauge pegged. There are 3 (IIRC) grounds in the plug on the cluster. Just push them in gently to get them to seat a little better, and see if that fixes it. Worst case, you may have to pull the cluster back out and check the ground wires that way. Either way, it is definitely a ground issue.
Where are the ground wires? I didn't see any wires going into it besides the harness that plugs in the back and the speedo wire....
Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The ground wires are in that plug. They are the black ones. Your turn signal wires are light blue and dark blue; it's probably going to be the closest black one to those.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

check these spots
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote