The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Joes73c1500

New guy Needs some advise !!

Hey guys,
I just picked up a 73 Chevy long bed project for me and my boys. I got the truck from the original owners. They started a frame off restoration a few years back and didn't finish it. Its got 68000 original miles no rust all major stuff was rebuilt Just need to assemble. So here's my problem. The way the truck sits now we could just assemble it to stock. But i like a more modern paint / rims / lowered look. In your guys opinion would it be a shame to customize such a clean truck or should it be put together as stock ? The only things that were changed from stock was 350 is now a 355 and the rear end is now a 373 So Any advise would help!!! thanks everybody il get some pics up tomorrow
Attached Images

Last edited by Joes73c1500; 04-14-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Joes73c1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
3r!c84
Badass

Re: New guy Needs some advise !!

pics would be a great start. 73's are more of the harder to find . since its the first year new body style

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
Joes73c1500

I was told by a few guys that are more into trucks then me that a stock 73 long bed truck isn't worth anything. so i should just do what i want to it. Is this not true ?

Last edited by Joes73c1500; 04-14-2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: I got the pics up .
Old 04-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

personly I would modify it, never been a fan of a stock vehicle. looks like you have a good base to start with which ever way you go.
good thing bout these truck's is stock , lift'd or lower'd,,, they look good !
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Pop's C-10

You can add those parts you mentioned & it be not a big change from what you have..That's all bolt on stuff...build it like you like...
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
BigBlocksRule

Modify it to fit you needs, just don't go radical with a slam, etc.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

If it's just a cruiser and grocery getter and you want it a little lower, do it. Some drop spindles on the front and a flip kit in the back and you're down a little. It all goes with your personal taste on what you want. If you want it lower than a 2" in the front and 4" in the back, the guys can tell you what you do to accomplish that. Lowering is easy, slamming them gets a bit more tricky because you really need to with bags.

If you're going to use it as a truck, you might reconsider a few things. You can still lower it with a 2/4 easy enough, but might need helper bags in the rear for when you get a load in it or something.

73's are special because they are the first year of the square body style. They are the only year to not have drip rail moldings in the squares. The 73 and 74 was the only two years of a popular style of grille as well. All of that can be reproduced on any year of square pretty much though. I'd say just do to it what you want and make it yours. For the drive train I'd probably go with an overdrive transmission at least, for the electrical I'd consider upgrading to get away from the glass fuse setup.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I say do what you want with it. Lower it as much as you want. My '74 is lowered 6/8, and it was Scoti's daily driver for 8-9 years before I was able to talk him out of it. It also towed trailers regularly, and was his work truck. I swapped in a TBI 350 and 700R4 to (hopefully) get a little mileage out of it and stop a few leaks. I plan on using it as a driver soon as well, once the A/C is finished.

If you modify the truck to your needs, then who cares what it is worth to someone else? At any rate, it is a lot cheaper than a payment on a new truck.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
West Texas Z
El Mero Mero Frijolero!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I say do what you want with it. Lower it as much as you want. My '74 is lowered 6/8, and it was Scoti's daily driver for 8-9 years before I was able to talk him out of it. It also towed trailers regularly, and was his work truck. I swapped in a TBI 350 and 700R4 to (hopefully) get a little mileage out of it and stop a few leaks. I plan on using it as a driver soon as well, once the A/C is finished.

If you modify the truck to your needs, then who cares what it is worth to someone else? At any rate, it is a lot cheaper than a payment on a new truck.
I agree, but I say lay it out on the floor. lol Do what you want bro and dont worry about "if it'll loose value" because honestly who cares? If you plan to sell it your not going to get a full return anyways, we never do. So enjoy it and go radical if you want. thumbs up on a nice buy.
West Texas Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Joes73c1500

Thanks for the response!!! I just want a project to do with my boys who are 10 and 7 and are just getting into playing around with me in the garage!!! Normally I tinker around with muscle cars. But I always always wanted an older truck. In Chevy muscle car land a numbers matching original, you really don't want to modify it, depending on model. But from what you guys are saying its not too important on this 73. So that works for me!!!

First question I really like the step side look and my back ground is more in metal fab/ body work. Unless a long step side is available already? I do not want to cut the frame!!!. So i was thinking about building a Long step side out of a donor long bed and a short step side bed. Has anyone done this ? any pics
Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

A long step bed was available. The proportions are off to me, but different strokes for different folks. I think that was actually the standard long bed, fleetside being optional.

For investment quality, a nice, original, survivor truck will always bring money. If a resto has been started, then your originality is out the window, and it doesn't matter. I still say do what you want. My '73 SWB started life as a green on green shortbed Custom, with a 454, HD brakes, HD suspension, P/S, and P/B, gauge package, and a lighter. That's it. Cool truck, but just fugly as all getout. It ended up yellow with a tan leather interior. I liked it, but I sold it back to the family that had it since the mid 70's. They liked it a lot more.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Joes73c1500

Ok il have to look at pics to see the bed i want. Can anyone tell me what this thing is worth? I cant find any stock 73s for sale to compare too.