The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Brutz

new and need some advice on a 72

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here, so I hope that I'm posting in the right place. I recently bought an old 72 long bed chevy from my brother. This thing sat in his driveway for six years without even being started! I took it did a compression check and number 7 is dead. So I have planned so far to fix the engine and what not first and the body is kind of on the end of the plan. So I plan on getting a re-manufactured long block a re-manufactured transmission, an edelbrock carb , new intake manifold, and new exhaust manifolds . so here is the problem I am brand new to all of this, I have a haynes manual and will be using that for the most part, so I am curious with the conversion of a stock carb to a brand new one, what will be some road blocks that I will encounter with that? Will the stock air cleaner work, or will I be needing some sort of adapter? I have also been told I should cut it down to a short bed, is that a good idea? or should I leave that area alone? I really want to do everything with this truck because I enjoy doing this sort of thing, and this truck is kind of an heirloom, I just hated seeing the thing sit for six years. The last question I have is, the paint and a lot of the underside is rusting, what is the best/cheapest way to keep it from rusting further? Also if you have any suggestions on what else I should be doing I would appreciate any and all comments. Sorry for the long post. Thanks guys.
Brutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: new and need some advice on a 72

Welcome to the board Brutz!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Welcome to the board, you will find that these guys know everything you need to know and are usually eager to help. BUT....you will get all kinds of different opinions about what direction to go...none wrong, just different. Just make it what YOU want and are capable of doing. I dont have extended experience, but I hear good things about POR-15 paint for rust. And, if youre going with a new carb, I would go with a new air cleaner as well, and thats a minor issue. Now, since you asked for opinions, heres some...I personally like longbeds, so I would keep it long. I would get rid of the side moldings to show off the body lines, and the emblems unless theyre in really great shape. Im giving mine workover soon and Im making sure I use all original USA made parts, no use putting foreign stuff on it as used OEM parts can be found and restored. Good luck, and have fun. Tim

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Brutz

Well thanks for the replies thus far. My original thoughts were to keep it as a long bed, but with the advice people give giving, I got persuaded for a bit, but think I will keep it long. Thanks again.
Brutz is offline   Reply With Quote