The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

just some Q's

i have soe questions and i'm just looking for some general answers.i have a few things i would like to do with ym truck and i would like to know what i'm looking at money wise to get there.

Putting an Duramax and allison trans in my truck I under stand theres alot of fab work (i can do most of it if not all) but whats the rough idea of the cost and what all do i need? like motor,harness,trans etc? do i have to have the dash or can i make one?

the reason i ask is i want a deisel but the 6.2 sucks and so does the 6.5 apparently so there is no ther real option besides a cumins but i want to keep it chevy.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414892
1tonchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Re: just some Q's

cost wise I would reconsider the mechanical Cummin's.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitteryguy View Post
cost wise I would reconsider the mechanical Cummin's.
oh that much eh?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

Why the hate for the 6.2? I have one that I swapped into my truck, and I've been nothing but happy with it. It was super cheap (less than 1000 for the entire swap) and I doubled my fuel mileage without losing any power. I'd say get a 6.2 and turbo it, or get an early 6.5 (93-95) with mechanical injection. Much cheaper and easier than a Duramax / Allison combo.

I think the main problem people have with the Detroit diesels is that they're not power houses like the Powerstroke or Cummins are. They're designed to be medium duty economy engines, and if they're treated like that, then they're bullet proof. You just can't beat the s**t out of them like you can a PS or C.
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #1
-357 / 700r4
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #2
-350 / TH350
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
Why the hate for the 6.2? I have one that I swapped into my truck, and I've been nothing but happy with it. It was super cheap (less than 1000 for the entire swap) and I doubled my fuel mileage without losing any power. I'd say get a 6.2 and turbo it, or get an early 6.5 (93-95) with mechanical injection. Much cheaper and easier than a Duramax / Allison combo.

I think the main problem people have with the Detroit diesels is that they're not power houses like the Powerstroke or Cummins are. They're designed to be medium duty economy engines, and if they're treated like that, then they're bullet proof. You just can't beat the s**t out of them like you can a PS or C.
I personaly don't hate them i just hear really bad things.....

Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

Haven't had any problems with mine, personally. I know there are problems to look for, but if you find a decent one, then they're just like any other engine. Look for the bad stuff, and walk away from it if it's got issues. And most people who bad mouth them have no idea what they're talking about anyway. They confuse them with the Olds 350 diesel, which really was nothing but trouble. But that never ever came in a truck, regardless of what you hear. 6.2's are good engines, because they're specifically designed as a diesel by Detroit. They're not converted from anything.

If you're looking for decent (but not neck breaking) power, and great (24+) MPG's, then I'd reconsider the 6.2 with a turbo. They can push about 300 hp and 350 ft/lbs of torque with that turbo. And everything from a 6.5 bolts right onto it.
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #1
-357 / 700r4
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #2
-350 / TH350

Last edited by lindstromjd; 04-22-2011 at 10:45 AM.
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonchevy View Post
the reason i ask is i want a deisel but the 6.2 sucks and so does the 6.5 apparently so there is no ther real option besides a cumins but i want to keep it chevy.
well you opend at big can of worms right there

a the 6.2/6.5 does not suck what really sucks is the many idiots behind the wheel that thinks its high power do anything run it to the max thats why they have a bad rep and like Chris (jitteryguy) said in a previus thread about them they are really a touch little diesel engine

if they sucked why would they have been produced for over 18 years?

Get a 6.2 diesel engine, J-Code Heads, 1993 (mecanical) 6.5 Turbo Injection pump and Injectors along with a complete turbo set up from a 6.5, now you have about 200 DIESEL HP and about 450-500fptq + you get 20+MPG at half the coast of a cummins and everything is plug and play i would say get a Manual tranny too

the Duramax can be done but will take alot of fab work but you need a complete engine with wiring, ECU and trans you can get the wiring rebuild at a place called PPE so you can use it in anything but its VERY expensive

the only other decent option is the overrated Cummins

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.

Last edited by GmtGmt; 04-22-2011 at 10:57 AM.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I check'd over 8 Afghan army HMMWV's yesterday, all with 6.5's. most had the fuel filter's bypass'd cause they did'nt have replacement's, I put fuel filter's, blew out the air filter's and replaced a half a dozen head light's. every one of em crank'd right up and ran fine. these thing's get treat'd like crap over here (every country here has em) and they keep on go'n. I alway's thought they were decent engine's but I have a lot more respect for em now. also one of my boy's has a 6.2 in a K10 with a 4 speed, get's bout 25mpg.
a Cummin's or a DuraMax would be super cool to have, but a turbo'd 6.5 is worth look'n into.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
well you opend at big can of worms right there

a the 6.2/6.5 does not suck what really sucks is the many idiots behind the wheel that thinks its high power do anything run it to the max thats why they have a bad rep and like Chris (jitteryguy) said in a previus thread about them they are really a touch little diesel engine

if they sucked why would they have been produced for over 18 years?

Get a 6.2 diesel engine, J-Code Heads, 1993 (mecanical) 6.5 Turbo Injection pump and Injectors along with a complete turbo set up from a 6.5, now you have about 200 DIESEL HP and about 450-500fptq + you get 20+MPG at half the coast of a cummins and everything is plug and play i would say get a Manual tranny too

the Duramax can be done but will take alot of fab work but you need a complete engine with wiring, ECU and trans you can get the wiring rebuild at a place called PPE so you can use it in anything but its VERY expensive

the only other decent option is the overrated Cummins
Apparently i was looking in the wrong area for info. so do i need to buy a donner truck or go junk yard shopping i know where one is but i assume it's there for a reason? what all would i need?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
GmtGmt

Check here all the info about the isuzu, detriot diesel you ever need

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=374

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
GmtGmt

Also check this guy out

Quote:
Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
madcow75

Find a good 6.2L block. The main thing that you have to look for is drop the oil pan and check to see if 6.2L 3 center main have any cracks. If not you have a good block. For the future add Girdle reinforcement to your mains made from DSG. Basically it is a piece of angle iron attached to the mains that will not allow the cylinders(mains) to crack. This protects your mains from all the torque these motors have.
madcow75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Chris Guthro

Thanks for the helpful comments even tho it wasnt my topic! gonna help me alot
Chris Guthro is offline   Reply With Quote