The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
pockets

Smooth door handles

With my welder on its way, I'm making a list of things I would like to do and smoothing the door handles is one of them.

However...

I'm quite open to not doing a complete shave off of the handles with poppers and all that, but perhaps doing a late model vehicle "smooth" handle. Anyone have any pics of trucks with something along those lines?

I got the inspiration from a muscle cars episode on their buick build, where IIRC they used handles from a grand am or something like that. it looked pretty nice.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
justinburnett

Re: Smooth door handles

I know you could do it but I can't help you with pictures. I'd suggest buying a junkyard door to practice on, get it how you want it, and then do the real thing where you have a reference point to look at if you forget or run into a snag. You might have to "custom bend" the arms from the handle to the latch, but aside from that I think you'll be just fine.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
texasfunk

I have seen it done several times using the 88-98 handles. Problem with that and most other handles is the mounting depth. Where the original handle is there is no room to flush mount a different type of handle so it mist me moved below the body line. And I don't think it's a very good look personally.
Posted via Mobile Device
texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfunk View Post
I have seen it done several times using the 88-98 handles. Problem with that and most other handles is the mounting depth. Where the original handle is there is no room to flush mount a different type of handle so it mist me moved below the body line. And I don't think it's a very good look personally.
Posted via Mobile Device
yea that could definitely be an issue. too low would look quite odd
Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Pop's C-10

Shave them all tha way or jus shave tha locks..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
West Texas Z
El Mero Mero Frijolero!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
I got the inspiration from a muscle cars episode on their buick build, where IIRC they used handles from a grand am or something like that. it looked pretty nice.
I know exactly what episode your talking about. I'm doing the same mod to my Camaro. I'm not sure how well it would work with our truck doors due to being so heavy. I would think that it would need strong structual handles. But I would like to see it done.
West Texas Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

With the body line on these trucks where it is, relocated handles have to go below it, and look terrible IMO. Shaved handles/newer model handles in general looks terrible too, but that is just my opinion again.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
jrcaprai

Shaved Handles are a pain in the A** I have them and would not do it over again.
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcaprai View Post
Shaved Handles are a pain in the A** I have them and would not do it over again.
I suppose some day I'll go through the pain hence the idea of using something a bit more clean without all the associated electronics and what not.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
andrewmp6

If you shave them rig up a cable release under the truck in case your battery is dead.I would leave them or shave them newer handles might look funny on it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

I started them on my '98.

The patches warped on me a bit b/c my welder was crappy and I am a crappy welder too.

The poppers are okay, but all of the posts ahead of this one are true, they are a pain, your battery might die so you need to put in a cable release in for that. etc etc.

Putting a different handle in is tricky too...remember you need to adjust the rod length as well when switch from a truck handle to a car handle.

Google it, magazines have lots of how to arcticles on this as well.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you shave completely, there is another option besides a cable release that's a bit more secure. you can run a positive lead to a hidden point on the body. If your battery goes dead, you can use a jmup pack on the hidden lead to get the door popped. Even a Dewalt or Makita battery will do in a pinch.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Texas Z View Post
I know exactly what episode your talking about. I'm doing the same mod to my Camaro. I'm not sure how well it would work with our truck doors due to being so heavy. I would think that it would need strong structual handles. But I would like to see it done.
I would bet the Camaro doors are waaaaay heavier that the truck doors. Them suckers are heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
With the body line on these trucks where it is, relocated handles have to go below it, and look terrible IMO. Shaved handles/newer model handles in general looks terrible too, but that is just my opinion again.
I think I am with Jeff on this.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If you shave completely, there is another option besides a cable release that's a bit more secure. you can run a positive lead to a hidden point on the body. If your battery goes dead, you can use a jmup pack on the hidden lead to get the door popped. Even a Dewalt or Makita battery will do in a pinch.
I was going to do something very similar. My first thought was a set of remote posts, much like race cars use for charging, but tucked up somewhere out of site and away from debris as much as possible.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
I started them on my '98.

The patches warped on me a bit b/c my welder was crappy and I am a crappy welder too.

The poppers are okay, but all of the posts ahead of this one are true, they are a pain, your battery might die so you need to put in a cable release in for that. etc etc.

Putting a different handle in is tricky too...remember you need to adjust the rod length as well when switch from a truck handle to a car handle.

Google it, magazines have lots of how to arcticles on this as well.
the process I wasn't so much concerned about. I was really looking to see if anyone had done a swap from another vehicle and see what those looked like.