The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Need Opinions: Non Running But Complete '57 LWB Big Window

Ok guys, I need candid opinions.

I'm thinking about getting back in the hobby after selling my '46 earlier this year. I have a line on a "56" (actually a 57) LWB big window, 283 that has not run in "5-6 years" because it had a blown clutch when current owner bought it and never fixed it. He claims it has no cancer (don't they all), from the one poor picture below it appears complete, grill, bumpers, yes the tailgate is on it, glass is intact, driver door glass is propped up but regulator is there, seat is useable. Its got a granny four speed, tires hold air so I can get it on a trailer. Current owner divesting himself of all projects due to illness - he's 73. He didn't know it was a '57 - title is lost. Thought it was a 56 so he thought it might be a 265...but its all original so its got to be a 283, right?

My intention: Getting back in the hobby with the same year truck I lost in my divorce of 11 years ago. Make it a half ton, weekend Home Depot driver/project, lower it, upgrade it mechanically - disc's, and eventually shorten it. Asking price is $1500, I'd try for less of course.

Opinions from those who've been there appreciated. Especially as to the shortening idea. Seems it would be easy if I had a pro weld the frame...or I'm kidding myself.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-20-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
bobinbc

Re: Need Opinions: Non Running But Complete '57 LWB Big Window

Dan, the truck in my avatar was a longbox, shortened it myself, really not hard. If you need it welded by a pro, get it all ready and call a mobile welder....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Go for it!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Bob, That's pretty much what I was thinking to do. I recently bought a used little Hobart 140 MIG welder, but I've not used it. I've not even ought a bottle or a welding helmet yet. I think it would be fine for welding sheet metal but not hot enough for the frame. Besides, I wouldn't feel safe driving at speed on a frame I wekded myself. I'd hire a certified welder and call it money well spent.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Go for it!
Ha! Chuck, I've saved this and a lot of pictures of your truck for a long time because it has EXACTLY the look I'd like to get mine to. Obvously, you've done a LOT of work and probably spent a ton too. I've got to go back and re-read your thread all the way through to get myself all revved up!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Thanks Dan! It has been a lot of work and a lot of fun. I've learned a lot along the way and spent some coin too! But it's been worth every penny seeing the smile on my sons face everytime I take him out for a spin!

Keep us posted on your 57 project!!

Last edited by ChuckDriver; 04-21-2011 at 07:55 PM.
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
sandnuriz

Go for it! money in the bank.. cant go wrong have to say my 57 was my first old truck and I love it,its a blast

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
Kim57

If it's as clean as he claims it should be well worth it.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
jfnar

If it's the original engine it's probably a 265. The 283 came out in cars in '57 but didn't get put into trucks for a year or two. You should check to see how hard it will be to title it in your state and factor that into your price. Unless you pay way too much, the up front cost will be dwarfed by what you're going to spend to get it where you want it. So if it's the truck you want, don't sweat a few bucks at this point. Just my opinion based on my limited experience.

Last edited by jfnar; 04-22-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: clarification
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnar View Post
You should check to see how hard it will be to title it in your state and factor that into your price.
In California to obtain title you will need to have the Vin verified by a vehicle verifier ( I used a mobile verifier) and a weight certificate. That with a bill of sale will get you title.

Last edited by Kabwe; 04-22-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnar View Post
If it's the original engine it's probably a 265. The 283 came out in cars in '57 but didn't get put into trucks for a year or two. You should check to see how hard it will be to title it in your state and factor that into your price. Unless you pay way too much, the up front cost will be dwarfed by what you're going to spend to get it where you want it. So if it's the truck you want, don't sweat a few bucks at this point. Just my opinion based on my limited experience.
Hmmm...really? I was under the impression that by '57 all the small blocks produced were 283's. If it were a 283 and rebuildable, I'd likely keep it (my Dad had a '59 Fleet with a 283 I helped him rebuild. My first real involvement with mechanicals as a kid; so nostalgic). If it were a 265, I'd porobably replace it.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
jfnar

According to the 1957 manual, the 283 was available only on 5000 and up models. Other engines available were the 235 and 261 6 cylinders and the 265 V8.
http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-h...olet-Truck.pdf

That doesn't mean that it didn't have one slapped into it sometime in the last 54 years.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
craig32

Dan, you could actually get a 265 in a '57 car too, but only a base 2 bbl model and I think only standard shift too.
craig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
B17CRX

It looks like a pretty good truck to start with. Why not keep it a long bed? Everyone has a short bed plus the 57 3200 long bed was only 7 feet long instead of 8 so it doesn't look as stretched out. Either way buy it, build it, enjoy it, and don't ever keep track of how much you spend on it!

-Joel
B17CRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
Rabunjeeper

Its pretty easy to shorten the frame. Just make a thousand measurements and triple check them. I thought I could do mine in 2 evenings. WRONG! It ended up taking bout a week of evenings and a weekend. I had to re-do mine cause the PO had no idea what he was doing when he shortened mine. I can't believe someone thought this was the right way to do it.
Rabunjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
mr48chev

Go for it, there are probably a few guys on here would pay 1500 for the cab sitting on a pallet plus shipping to get it to them and grin let alone to buy a complete truck.
When you get to check it over see if you can find a registration slip in the glove box or somewhere in the truck that tells who it was last registered to. Hopefully it was registered to him. If that plate on the front of it is the last one it was registered with that might help too.

Someone posted a diagram on how to cut the frame so the ends overlap making it a stronger splice than butt welding the ends together like the po did on B17CRX's truck.
I'd do as one of the guys suggested previously and do the cutting and fitting and tack it together after doing your homework on how to do it right and get it all squared away and then get a skilled welder to weld it up. When I built my T bucket years ago I would cut and fit the parts at my house and tack them together with my little Monkey Wards 110 welder and then load them in the back of the truck and haul them down the street to my friends where he welded them up right with his welder. It doesn't take long for a skilled welder to weld one up if you already have all the fitting and fussing done and all they have to do is weld it.
That Hobart is a good welder and I came real close to buying one before I got a deal on my Lincoln 175.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote