The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
sumran

Serpentine triumph or tragedy?

After a few misfires, I went to pull a serpentine system for my project truck. According to what I have read, any V-6 or SB system should work on my engine. I found a complete system from a 4.3 V-6. This may work on my engine, but I don't see how. If anyone can provide insight, I would be most grateful. Block code on my engine is 14094766. Code on heads is 14022801. Pics added for reference.
Attached Images

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737

Last edited by sumran; 04-22-2011 at 02:15 PM.
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Altec
Getcha Pull

Re: Serpentine triumph or tragedy?

Check out my work log in my sig, I did this very swap. You'll have to drill and tap one hole in your passenger head, and either get the correct reverse water pump, or use a new style one and thread that bottom hole below the passenger side lower water pump mounting hole. Like I said, all in my work log.

One tip, you can't use tall valve covers. They hit the compressor...
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
85c10tx

Hi I used the setup off of i think an 88 chevy truck it was easy to do, no drilling. it has reverse water pump to. hope it helps

Last edited by 85c10tx; 04-22-2011 at 08:36 PM.
85c10tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Check out my work log in my sig, I did this very swap. You'll have to drill and tap one hole in your passenger head, and either get the correct reverse water pump, or use a new style one and thread that bottom hole below the passenger side lower water pump mounting hole. Like I said, all in my work log.

One tip, you can't use tall valve covers. They hit the compressor...
You have the same parts and block and head that I have, so that is encouraging. It must be possible. I'm a little bummed about the valve covers. I got a nice set of Mickey Thompson aluminum covers at the yard. It will be a shame if I can't use them.

If you have any other pictures of the alternator bracket mounting, that would be very helpful. Thanks much.

85c10tx: do your brackets look similar to the ones I have?

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Altec
Getcha Pull

The ones I posted are what I have, but I can take any you need. Just lemme know!

If you had some spacers, and longer bolts I figure you could space up the compressor enough to clear. You would obviously need to locate a longer belt since the compressor is getting moved away from the engine.
'96 Integra
Old 04-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
The ones I posted are what I have, but I can take any you need. Just lemme know!

If you had some spacers, and longer bolts I figure you could space up the compressor enough to clear. You would obviously need to locate a longer belt since the compressor is getting moved away from the engine.
The problem I have is there is only one threaded hole on the head. The 4.3L heads have three holes. Did you drill and tap the head for the remaining mounting bolts?

The spacer idea is something I have been thinking about. Obviously, it would require an equal amount of spacer for the rest of the system, so that all the pulleys lined up.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Altec
Getcha Pull

The Alternator bracket is held on my two bolts on mine. The one in the head already, and a second I drilled, and tapped. The third hole (Lower-outer one) I did not use. This is because on the older head the pad for the bolt isn't there. The head starts to curve right where the hole in the mount is. I don't believe this will be a issue. Serpentine belts apply less force then V-belts, and all the force on the bracket is pushing the bracket toward the head.

The AC compressor mounts to the top of the bracket, and spacers will only move it further away from the engine. Not further forward. You should only need a longer belt.
'96 Integra

Last edited by Altec; 04-22-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
sumran

If I put spacers on between the bracket and the compressor it would raise the compressor but maintain the alignment. However, on my engine, the bracket itself is hitting the valve cover and a sensor on the intake manifold. I may be able to relocate or remove the sensor. Stock valve covers may not have the clearance issue.

The mounting of the alternator side is exactly the same on mine. Did you hit a water passage when you drilled and tapped that location?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
sumran

To get the clearance I want on the serpentine accesory drive in need the power steering bracket to move 20 mm toward the radiator. This will require moving all of the other pulleys accordingly. I will also need to drill and tap the passenger side head for a mounting stud.

My son is finishing up his sophmore year of high school. He is a math whiz and plans to go into engineering. He is currently taking drafting as an elective. I am going to have him do the precise measuring, calculations and drawings as a practical application of what he will face as an engineer. In his first attempt he already learned that properly setting the caliper to zero is important.

Last edited by sumran; 04-25-2011 at 09:50 AM.