The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
vintage_car

opinions wanted on truck built to sell

Guys I entered into my 48' project knowing that the end result would be selling it. I doubt I will make back what I have invested, I can always hope, but as we know it never goes by the budget. I have been building it loosely around the s10/rat rod theme. I know some don't like the term rat rod, I don;t know what else to call it. It really isn't ratty accept the body. the frame has been blasted and painted, entirely tore down and rebuilt the engine, new bushings, shocks, new wiring will be going in, new brakes and lines. The body is where I'm really torn. Do I repair all the rust and just prime those panels, which would ruin the overall patina. Do I just leave the rusty corners and door jambs? The floors were repaired with sheetmetal, not real LMC panels, just flat panels as was the firewall. Those are the 2 areas that I touched. It doesn't have air suspension, which I know might add to resale, but just wasn't in the budget. No heat/AC when I purchased the truck, and I have not put it in the 'to do list'. I have been debating on upgrading the rims, again not 100% confident I want to drop a grand in new rims/rubber since it will be going out the door. I'm trying to think resale on it and getting as much as I can get, and so I'm trying to focus my money towards that. I know it is difficult since everyone has a different taste, so maybe the entire post is a non-issue and I just build it and call it finished when I see fit?

This is not a for sale ad, I'm not done with he truck, and I do know I will want to keep it for little bit to enjoy, but ultimately it will be going to a new home. I look forward to the constructive opinions.
Attached Images

vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: opinions wanted on truck built to sell

here's my Idea on trying to make money on selling my truck- Ain"t Gonna Happen
If you can in todays market you have to find somebody that wants EXACTLY what you have For Sale. That also knows what it costs to build it.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
vintage_car

as I said, I doubted I would be making money on it... what I would like opinions on is not if I will make money, but what the truck market sees as a well rounded truck to purchase.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
skip99

only build what you can enjoy, otherwise you will cut corners and end up with a POS that nobody wants and you'll lose your ass.
I hate going to buy an old car and the guy says, "I just put a $2000 paint job on it" well it was a $500 paint job that he got overcharged on and I'll just strip it anyway, so.. waste of time and money.

every project I've had this year, was an abandoned project. which was great for me.. they got tired of it being in the way, the wife hated it, so I got a decent deal, which at that point, does let someone finish it off and make a few $...

this market right now sucks, hard to sell anything, even all original cars arent worth building sometimes.

the 67 camaro I did last year is a perfect example, nice rust free RS with all original parts... 10 years ago I would have made money just reselling it. but I made the decision to Pro-tour it..it really killed me to do it.. example...sandblasting perfect original 67 chrome so I could paint it black.. the result was amazing, but it really hurt to do it..ps...the profit eased the pain a little,

I have an original 65 fastback mustang..right now restoring it would bring no profit, and it sits because I just cant bring myself to mess with it..kinda like deciding which color. can't make up my mind..

I ramble on.. anyway, build it thinking you may end up with it for a while, then you either enjoy it or pass it on.. I hate working on cars I dont like..

as far as opinion(you posted as i was writing...lol..
nice frame, new brakes, engine , trans, leave all the body and interior for the new owner..but that's me...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878

Last edited by skip99; 04-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Indian113

I'm sorry if I came off like a A-- ,I get the same story in my motorcycle shop. Guys have me build them a custom bike or I modify their bike and they can't get their money back or make any money. The work you have done looks great,just keep it simple and don't personlize it to much. You want people to say "yea I could change this or that " they'll buy it quicker
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
oldman3

The old saying "different strokes for different folks" is no more true than in the car world.
What you have at this point, someone would be glad to get and leave as is, others want to change. You have to decided, when and where to stop. Good luck whatever you decide.
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
MrDude_1

as for your body question... I would paint it.
to me (and no offense to anyone here) the 'patina' look is a fad.. really all it is (IMO) is someone doesnt know how, or is to lazy/cheap to put in the work to make it look respectable... and its an easy out. not saying everyone needs a perfect paintjob, but it should look like someone gave a S--t about what it looks like.

get the body straight, and if you dont want to paint it, use a flat black primer.. if a "ratty" guy sees it, he can go rock the primer look... if anyone else sees it, they know its almost ready to paint any color they want.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Yep, that big silver star on the door is patina worth saving.

You've done a great job on the foundation, you just keep going on the rest of the body. MrDude has a point about the primer, wouldn't hurt you to leave it on nice common color. You'll be able to enjoy it for as long as you have it. As for the shoes, make yourself happy on those as well. You might have this truck for 10 minutes, 10 days, 10 months, or 10 years after you are finally done.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
vintage_car

I Hate that star! that was not my doing, it was the way it arrived... it is horrific. I really have to get in the mood to do that bodywork. Not that I can't do it, but man it just isn't something I enjoy at all! I guess as long as I sell it during the 'fad' I'm okay
I appreciate the answers to my questions.
Dan- I really gotta think about those shoes. I bought some California Custom deoxidizer and polsih for my rims and it is making a drastic change! making the garbage rims shine like new, so I might be able to sell them for some money now to go towards new rims/rubber.
Indian- no harm done.

Last edited by vintage_car; 04-22-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
50adrod

sand the star off and leave it
1964 F 100 custom street rod http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...mark-viii.html
1950 custom Chevy Truck
50adrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
vintage_car

the very least that star will be removed. I promise!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
safedrive654

Whatever you do, don't do the bags and don't do door poppers. The ride is crap unless you only put enough air to turn with, and you must slam the door each time to reset the poppers; at least that's the way it goes on mine. Stick with the lowered, stock S-10/Ranger suspension (giving yourself 3 in. for speed bumps) and leave it there. The lowered bagged trucks are real cool (after channeling the body), but the ride is like I said...AND you lose your bed for the most part. Stick with simplicity, 700R, small block Chevy or better yet EFI, highway gears, stocked and lowered suspension and enjoy the damn thing. Use it as your daily driver and relinquish the fact that it'll never be done.
safedrive654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Your very first post is on a thread that's almost 2 years old?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
safedrive654

Sorry, I don't know how this stuff works. I was looking for something else and came across this. I was only replying because of the problems I am having with my own rat and thought I would share. Didn't know there were time constraints. However, all the information you guys put on here is relevent no matter what the date is. For the last 2yrs you guys have been answering questions for me without even knowing it. Thanks.
safedrive654 is offline   Reply With Quote