The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Ididit but not yet. Need steering column help.

I'm installing an Ididit column in my 69 C20 and need some help from those who have done this before. Good picts would be a bonus.

Bought new column, U-joint, DD shaft and rag joint. Not sure where to locate the column so I can cut DD shaft. From what I've read there is no set location or distance from dash. Seems like there should be some detent or slot in column when bolting under the dash for that bump (above clamp) to fit in. Or is there supposed to be some kind of rubber mount under the dash? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
Autoblueprint

Re: Ididit but not yet. Need steering column help.

I put an Ididit column in my 1971 C10 and have detailed information and photos regarding the install.

This is the page most of the column information is on :

http://www.autoblueprint.com/1971_pa..._photopg5.html

Hope this helps.
Autoblueprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
derotoreut

Nice build book and excellent details. The engine side firewall picture is helpful showing the factory clamp there. I still am not sure where to locate the column. Yours was probably dictated by the factory GM intermediate shaft. I have a 36" long DD shaft that has to be cut once I locate the column in the proper position. I just don't know where that is.

Also, did your wiring out of the column face up or down? Looks like yours faces downward. Is there a right or wrong with that? I assumed the wiring would go upward and be connected behind the gauge panel.

How does the clamp under the dash work? There is a clamp with two bolts that forces the column against a raised bump that will press into the column. Like I said it looks like that bump should fall into a detent or groove (that is not existing) on the column. Or is there a rubber mount that I am missing?

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Richard H.
Spanked once

To get you started ,most put the column as far forward as possible for room. Do to the turn signal location doesn't that determine where your wires come out? Does on my ididit. There are some pics on the second page of my build thread. The detent bump is probably there for the factory guy to align it when it was built.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
derotoreut

Yes you're right about the relationship of the wiring to the turn signal location. Wires will come out up. I saw a picture in a thread somewhere that showed wiring coming downward. Not sure what I was thinking. Got confused about it.

As far as the location of the column and the bump where the clamp is under the dash, I am still confused on this. I'm sure someone out there has installed an Ididit column and has run into this. Hopefully someone has build threads and pictures. I've searched the forum but have come up blank.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
jim-bob

...I also could stand some more info and pictures..Please..
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
derotoreut

I guess I'm going to keep the column as close as I can to the dash in order to give me more room. Plus with an aftermarket steering wheel, the adapter kit adds 2-1/2" to the column length. Fortunately my aftermarket wheel is not a deep dish offset, so that helps. Still wish I could see some pictures of installations from other users. I would like to see under the dash, side view at dash and engine compartment if possible. My big concern was how the column clamped under the dash without having a slot in it like a stock column for the bump (on the brake pedal mount) to fit into.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Autoblueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by derotoreut View Post
My big concern was how the column clamped under the dash without having a slot in it like a stock column for the bump (on the brake pedal mount) to fit into.
I'm not sure what you mean by bump...I used the same stock V column bracket on my Ididit column to secure it up into the clutch / brake pedal support.

The Ididit column has to be INDEXED manually per the instructions that came with the column...the OEM column has a slot that aligns to an index key up in the clutch / brake pedal support...is this the bump you are speaking of?

I located the wire harness for the Ididit column downward ( towards floorboard ) to avoid pinching up top and it is covered by the OEM plate ( the plate where the rubber brake pedal up travel stop is located ).

Hope this helps...if not...post a pic of your underdash and that should help explain what your concern is.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
derotoreut

Yes the bump or nub that I'm referring to is the raised area that gets indexed to the slot in the OEM column. The Ididit column does not have this feature. I'm not sure how you index the Ididit column manually. I did not see anything related to this in the instructions. Also on my column the wires must come out facing up. This is dictated by the turn signal location and tilt lever. It appears the column can be located in any position (slide up or down) as long as the turn signal is in proper alignment. As recommended by Richard H., I located the column as close as possible to the dash. I hope this is right.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Autoblueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by derotoreut View Post
Yes the bump or nub that I'm referring to is the raised area that gets indexed to the slot in the OEM column. The Ididit column does not have this feature. I'm not sure how you index the Ididit column manually. I did not see anything related to this in the instructions. Also on my column the wires must come out facing up. This is dictated by the turn signal location and tilt lever. It appears the column can be located in any position (slide up or down) as long as the turn signal is in proper alignment. As recommended by Richard H., I located the column as close as possible to the dash. I hope this is right.
I think the difference in our columns is that mine is without column shift ( I'm using a Hurst Pro-Matic 2 truck floor shift )...but it seems like you are doing everything correctly. The Ididit column can be be located in any position ( up / down ) just make sure it is not down too far that you would have difficulty removing / installing the instrument cluster. Set the column to where you want it and if there is no interference with the cluster you are good to go.