The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
busjockey

Truck questions

I am new Restoration of Chevy trucks. I am going to buy a 1947 3/4 ton chevy and had a few questions. I want to make this truck look as original as possible, bus want to see if I can improve the fuel economy a bit and get the hwy crusing speed to at least 65 mph. This truck has the 4 speed in the floor. I am wondering if they made an overdrive that would work with this transmission, or wheather it would be better to change the gear ratio in the rear end, or put a different rear end under the truck. The engine I will be using is the 235 six so it looks like the original. I am building this truck to be a daily driver.

Last edited by busjockey; 04-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.
busjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Truck questions

Welcome - I would get a later model 4 speed with an open drive line and later model rearend with a higher ratio to reduce you rpm at higher speed. You can do a search here to find out which ones work best width wise. You should be able to find one with 3.08 or 2.73 ratios. When you get the transmission and rearend get the driveline and input yoke, you will need to have a new one made. Tranny will bolt right up, rearend might need some spring perch modification or addition but it is just paying attention to pinion angle.

Stovebolt.com is a great site for keeping them stock. Inliners.com is great for getting the most out of your 235.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
PurdueSD

T-5 out of an s10 will bolt up to your 235 bell housing and have a good shifter location. There's lots of tech on various sites. You have to cut down the input shaft and make a couple other mods along with finding the appropriate clutch disk from an astro mini-van.

This will make it necessary to upgrade to a open drive rear end.
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
busjockey

The truck has an open drive shaft because it is a 3/4 ton truck. I was thinking about new gears in the rear or an overdrive. A friend of mine has an overdrive on a 3 speed 1/2 ton I was just wanting to know if they made one that would work with the 4 speed. If not may have to go with a newer transmission and rear.
busjockey is offline   Reply With Quote