The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
thepenguin99

Boned by a long distance square.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...heyenne&cat=13

I just spent 2 days, $300 in expenses, and drove 1100 miles to BUY this truck. I did not buy it. It is not what is described. Let me first say that the poster is not to blame. The information he posted he got from the owner.

When I talked to the owner (Mr. Winston) he reiterated having the rust repaired correctly mentioning the parts he bought in the process. I was very clear with the owner that this would be a LONG drive for me. If I came down it wasn't to look, it was to buy. Therefore, I needed to know any issues the truck had. He told me the transmission wasn't shifting right and he thought it was the modulator valve. This was fine with me and would have been fine even if I had to have the tranny rebuilt. After all, I was thinking this truck was cheap at 3k being a 70s swb in pretty good shape that had had the rust already taken care of. The paint was an 8 out of 10 according to him with issues on the tailgate. Again fine, you can tell from the pictures it wasn't a high end repaint when it was done. I just wanted presentable.

When I drove up I was thinking, "Time to load her up and get her home". That is, until I got close. The bed has a rust hole in front panel that you can see easily looking between the cab and bed. Upon walking around the truck it is painfully obvious the truck had rust over passenger side rear wheel arch because you can see the unfinished filler that was painted over. At this point I am thinking "maybe the cab is good and I can work something out with the owner" so I started looking closer. I find out the driver's side rocker has a heavy layer of filler that isn't at all flat. I would also bet money the pass side cab corner has filler in it but I am not 100% on it.

The truck having a lot of rust that was badly repaired or not repaired at all got to me but TBH the owners comments and general attitude after I had come that far to get the truck bothered me the most. Almost as soon as I started looking it over he says "Well its not perfect" as if I was looking at it to closely. After inspecting it I bring up the rust issues and just tell him it would have been nice to know before I drove down. Does he apologize? No. He goes on to mention how he sold a truck that didn't look this good for more money.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
mooseknuckles

Re: Boned by a long distance square.

I hope you kicked him in the balls!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
classicchev

Too bad, but that is the challenge of buying at a distance.

quality pictures and maybe a video is about all I can recommend.

Darren
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #4

I am sorry to hear about this. He deserves a swift kick in the a$$!

1984 GMC Sierra Classic-1/2 ton-SWB (R.I.P.)
1986 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
2014 GMC Sierra LTZ Z-71 Crew SWB
1425956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
JMac11

Hate this happened, I am pretty sure I know the guy who posted it, like you said he is straight up. I was in Fitzgerald and would have looked at it for you, but like you thought it was a good price so I didn't offer. Better luck next go around.

Been there, seen it, done it..... 2x many times
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
77BBGMC

That stinks! I feel for ya, I've been there myself (not quite that many miles), very frustrating and disappointing!
77BBGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77BBGMC View Post
That stinks! I feel for ya, I've been there myself (not quite that many miles), very frustrating and disappointing!
Well the miles listed was round trip. Forgot to mention that. So 550 each way.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

Pictures always make a vehicle look better than it actually is. I have never seen a rust repair that lasted long term - rust always returns. Many people actually think they have an excellent vehicle when it is not very nice. I think most posters here would due a cursory check of a vehicle in their neighborhood for a fellow forum member. I remain more convinced every day that a rust free southwest truck is the only one worth investing money in - just get somebody to inspect it for you before you buy and pay the freight to your location.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
Gyawo

I feel for you. I drove 600 km there and back(370 some miles) to go see an '87 K5, the pictures showed the typical rust for where I live, when I got there though it was ruuuuuuusty, and the guy still wanted a ridic amount for it. It didn't really make matters better that he was pretty unsympathetic towards you. Better off spending a small amount and getting a bit of an experience from it than being stuck with a 3000 dollar "lemon" though!
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

You know when I seen the truck posted... I thought man that is just too good of a deal to be true. I wanted to comment that the hood color didnt even appear to be the same shade as the fenders, and paint flaking off around the emblem, etc. Be thankful that you didnt just buy it unseen and had it shipped to you.. it could always of been worse. Count yourself as being lucky that you lost $300 instead of an extra 0 on the end for $3K. Sorry that has happened to you... unfortunatley not everyones perception is the same... good luck on your hunt and remember everything happens for a reason. With that said, there's a better one for you in your future.

Last edited by CLASSIC87'; 04-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyawo View Post
I feel for you. I drove 600 km there and back(370 some miles) to go see an '87 K5, the pictures showed the typical rust for where I live, when I got there though it was ruuuuuuusty, and the guy still wanted a ridic amount for it. It didn't really make matters better that he was pretty unsympathetic towards you. Better off spending a small amount and getting a bit of an experience from it than being stuck with a 3000 dollar "lemon" though!
Whats insane is that the truck is still probably worth close to 3k to someone. I mean it looks pretty good from 10ft, it runs good, and as bad as the body work is...its obvious the guy spent money on the truck from the new dash, tires, bumpers, etc. It's just that....had he told me about the filler or unrepaired rust I wouldn't have bothered with the trip since there is a 78 gmc in my back yard with similar rust issues, just no filler covering it up.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC87' View Post
You know when I seen the truck posted... I thought man that is just too good of a deal to be true. I wanted to comment that the hood color didnt even appear to be the same shade as the fenders, and paint flaking off around the emblem, etc. Be thankful that you didnt just buy it unseen and had it shipped to you.. it could always of been worse. Count yourself as being lucky that you lost $300 instead of an extra 0 on the end for $3K. Sorry that has happened to you... unfortunatley not everyones perception is the same... good luck on your hunt and remember everything happens for a reason. With that said, there's a better one for you in your future.
Yea it could have been infinitely worse. On a positive note the trip with my grandfather wasn't bad and we got to see the tupelo car museum on the way back which is pretty awesome.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
Gyawo

Quote:
On a positive note the trip with my grandfather wasn't bad and we got to see the tupelo car museum on the way back which is pretty awesome.
That is worth more than 300 bones IMO. I have no doubt that he will get what he wants for it, there is a sucker born every minute. Someone will come along that can look past all that, or is so caught up in the excitement that they won't really care or see what you did. I know you ask as many questions and hope they guy is being legit before heading the long distance but that is kind of what people do. Plus he may not have seen the truck the same way you did.
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
texastruckjunky

I had a simular problem with a craigslist ad on a motor. Ad said it was rebuilt. That it had a muddobber that build a nest in cylinder #1 an easy fix. Went to look at it. Owner said it had just been rebuilt. "How long ago was is rebuilt I asked", He said "it has about 100 miles on it" so i pull the main caps off, all 5 are down to the brass, the crank has grooves in it. The guy is a lier.
I did't go as far as you did but I hate people that lie, to benifit them selves. Mabey he was an , but i wanted to kick his

Last edited by texastruckjunky; 04-27-2011 at 12:35 AM.
texastruckjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #15
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

the pictures sure make it look good. that bites to drive that far to find out it was'nt what was desrcibe'd.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
diamondave

Sorry to hear about that... But you taught some on here a lesson.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #17
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Next time you might want to post and ask if someone local can look the truck over.

I did this for someone recently, and probably saved him a similar experience. It was a few hours and 50 or so miles round trip, but I enjoyed it.

BTW, the guy was going to fly in and drive the truck home. It had pretty much no brakes and nonworking power steering.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #18
Altec
Getcha Pull

So we are clear, the seller in question is this fellow, correct?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=68461
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #19
75ChevyGuy
GM Parts Guy

That sucks, But there's always others!
75ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #20
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

ask for the local paper to be tossed in the pic, on the seat, or hood
proves the pics are current.
and not years old ,like taken before it was snow/salt/plowed with for the last two or three winters lol
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #21
69C20CUSTOM

Sorry to that man thats no fun.
I know your pain did the same thing in high school with a Camaro
69C20CUSTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
So we are clear, the seller in question is this fellow, correct?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=68461
No, that guy posted the truck for his friend who was the seller.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
ask for the local paper to be tossed in the pic, on the seat, or hood
proves the pics are current.
and not years old ,like taken before it was snow/salt/plowed with for the last two or three winters lol
Good idea but oddly enough in this instance those are recent pics. Truck looked exactly like that when I pulled up in the drive. You had to get close to see the nasty.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #24
jablack
Classic Chevy Recycler

I've seen nice trucks cheaper than that here in Birmingham Alabama.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
1970 Chevrolet C50
1979 Chevrolet C30

Need another 67 or 68 soon...
jablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #25
JuicyJ

I have learned thru many mistakes that never take someones word on how it looks, or runs, or how rare it is. Alot of people out there are here to make a buck. Any vehicle or thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay.