The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
sneaky

adapters for bmw wheels?

anyone here running bmw wheels? was wondering if the 5x5 to 5x4.75 spacers will work with bmw 5 lug pattern? thanks in advance...scott.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Re: adapters for bmw wheels?

Sure, they will work and they do make the bolt pattern conversion. And tire shops will be happy to sell them to you. Nonetheless, adapters are not safe and are not recommended by wheel companies or the DOT.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
Sure, they will work and they do make the bolt pattern conversion. And tire shops will be happy to sell them to you. Nonetheless, adapters are not safe and are not recommended by wheel companies or the DOT.
so you've tried this and verified that it'll work and its not safe? you bought them from a tire shop? if we did everything that was not recommeded i'm pretty sure this forum wouldnt even exist. thanks for your input.

i was mainly asking because i've seen the 5x5 to 5x4.75 adapters and the 5x5 to 5x120 adapters...i know bmw and chevy have similar patterns...i think they are off by .7.....just wanted to verify before i spent a buck 20 for these....
Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
68jewel

Hey, you asked a question and I answered. No, I haven't tried them. But, I was going to until I did my research a few years back. But, I do know alot of guys that run them. And personally, I ain't trying to have my wheels come off while driving down the road at 70 mph because I used an "adaptor" for a wheel that wasn't designed or not made to fit my bolt pattern. Furthermore, I agree, we don't do everything that is safe. But, one has the right to pick and choose what he feels just how safe something is. Therefore if you want to run unstable wheels on your truck...go right ahead. Some things I'm willing to chance like motor swaps, bagging, etc. Wheels at 75 mph and at times 85-90 mph , I'm not. Lastly, BMW and Chevy has the same bolt pattern. It's the hub bore that is different. The .7mm that you are speaking of is small of a difference that wheels allow for vehicles with a larger hub bore. That's why many installation companies will install hub rings when they install your wheels. Cast wheel manufactures always make their wheels with larger bores to fit a wide range of vehicles. That's why you can get a set of wheels for $800, because they mass produce a particular wheel to fit many vehicles. The only times this is not applicable is when you get into your high-end wheel companies like HRE, Budnik, Intro, Forgeline, etc. where their wheels are hubcentric. Meaning, they are made exactly for your year, model and make. These companies custom make their wheels and are not mass produced. That's why you have to wait 6-8 weeks for a set and they cost nearly $4,000 and up. No hard feelings bro. Just a friendly discussion...and that, is what this forum is for and why it exist.

***Also sir, 5x4.75 and 5x120.7mm is the exact same thing. One (5x4.75) is in inches where you measure from one lug nut directly across to another and the other (5x120.7) is in metric conversion.

Last edited by 68jewel; 04-28-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
so you've tried this and verified that it'll work and its not safe? you bought them from a tire shop? if we did everything that was not recommeded i'm pretty sure this forum wouldnt even exist. thanks for your input.

i was mainly asking because i've seen the 5x5 to 5x4.75 adapters and the 5x5 to 5x120 adapters...i know bmw and chevy have similar patterns...i think they are off by .7.....just wanted to verify before i spent a buck 20 for these....
REALLY!!?? I don't think your retort was called for Smeaky.

Well then, I think you should go right ahead and buy those puppies, install them, get it up 100, do some drifting and then take it to the drag strip. Then after all that, let us know if they're safe since it's obvious you think this forum was created by those who don't follow rules.
Sorry folks, but 68jewel was just trying to give some sound advise.

"You can lead a horse to water, just can't make him drink and you can lead a man to knowledge, ya just can't make him think".

Besides, why would anyone want to put Beemer wheels on nice 67-72 truck in the first place?

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
BB72CHEVKT

First off welcome to the forum. I also agree it is not the best idea. You will find this site to be very friendly and helpful despite how this thread started out.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
NoNeck

Here's my 2 cents...

I installed 2008 Mustang GT 17" wheels on my 2008 Ford Ranger when I purchased the truck in February 2010. I installed 1.25" spacers on the rear, and 1" spacers on the front. These were not adapters, just spacers to get the backspacing correct.

I purchased hub-concentric billet spacers at a cost of $163 from a company that specializes in the custom wheel industry. I have driven my truck 14,592 miles to date (yes, I checked). I have driven at speeds of 75-85 miles an hour on the interstate, over every pothole in SE Tennessee and around every twisting mountain road between here and Somerset, Kentucky. I still have all my wheels attached!

Now, if you buy those AutoZone pot-metal wafers that they sell as "spacers", you might want to keep your speed under 30-35 at all times. Odds are, you will have a slight "UFO malfunction". It's like anything else... you get what you pay for.

I will admit that it took me about a week to get my spacers "embedded". There is a detailed set of instructions regarding torquing them to specs, then driving for about 100 miles, then re-torquing them again. One more torquing at about 500 miles, and I was good to go. No problems at all.

All I know is I get more compliments about my truck with the Mustang GT wheels than any set of TT's or Welds that I have ever owned. That's because it's different... it's called "Hot Rodding".

Just sayin'...

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.

Last edited by NoNeck; 04-28-2011 at 11:55 AM.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
sneaky

Quote:
Hey, you asked a question and I answered. No, I haven't tried them. But, I was going to until I did my research a few years back. But, I do know alot of guys that run them. And personally, I ain't trying to have my wheels come off while driving down the road at 70 mph because I used an "adaptor" for a wheel that wasn't designed or not made to fit my bolt pattern. Furthermore, I agree, we don't do everything that is safe. But, one has the right to pick and choose what he feels just how safe something is. Therefore if you want to run unstable wheels on your truck...go right ahead. Some things I'm willing to chance like motor swaps, bagging, etc. Wheels at 75 mph and at times 85-90 mph , I'm not. Lastly, BMW and Chevy has the same bolt pattern. It's the hub bore that is different. The .7mm that you are speaking of is small of a difference that wheels allow for vehicles with a larger hub bore. That's why many installation companies will install hub rings when they install your wheels. Cast wheel manufactures always make their wheels with larger bores to fit a wide range of vehicles. That's why you can get a set of wheels for $800, because they mass produce a particular wheel to fit many vehicles. The only times this is not applicable is when you get into your high-end wheel companies like HRE, Budnik, Intro, Forgeline, etc. where their wheels are hubcentric. Meaning, they are made exactly for your year, model and make. These companies custom make their wheels and are not mass produced. That's why you have to wait 6-8 weeks for a set and they cost nearly $4,000 and up. No hard feelings bro. Just a friendly discussion...and that, is what this forum is for and why it exist.

***Also sir, 5x4.75 and 5x120.7mm is the exact same thing. One (5x4.75) is in inches where you measure from one lug nut directly across to another and the other (5x120.7) is in metric conversion.
thanks for the info. no hard feelings, sorry if i came off as a dick...i am one.
8==========> A big one. =)
i have an e38 daily driver and have 3 sets of wheels for it in my garage, 16's fact bbs, stag 18's and stag 19's....just thought after i dropped the truck they may look decent. just traded an old fury for the truck last week so please excuse my noobness.....thanks again man,i do appreciate your input. oh this is not a daily and will just see some around town cruisin.

Last edited by sneaky; 04-28-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr View Post

Well then, I think you should go right ahead and buy those puppies, install them, get it up 100, do some drifting and then take it to the drag strip. Then after all that, let us know if they're safe since it's obvious you think this forum was created by those who don't follow rules.

"You can lead a horse to water, just can't make him drink and you can lead a man to knowledge, ya just can't make him think".

Besides, why would anyone want to put Beemer wheels on nice 67-72 truck in the first place?
wow, an even biggger dick than me!
i like rice esp with big old nasty trucks.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
First off welcome to the forum. I also agree it is not the best idea. You will find this site to be very friendly and helpful despite how this thread started out.
thanks man. =)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
LilD

When I researched this topic I found more people say they were ok than not. Most suggested using a quality product of course. Some pointed out that factory duallies use them, mid sized delivery trucks....... A wheel company saying not to use them is more than likely just covering their butts for liabilty. Im sure GM would not like us to lift, drop or modify these old trucks and we didnt listen to them did we?
LilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
sneaky

thanks everyone for your input, after i lower it with my torch and hacksaw and get these ebay spacers in i'll post back! no need to beat a dead horse, you guys answered my question. thanks!!!!!!!!

just wanted to throw the devil in cuz it looks cool...he made me do it.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
96blazr

Quote:
wow, an even biggger dick than me!
i like rice esp with big old nasty trucks.
A WHOLE LOT BIGGER.
68Jewel was trying to give you some good advice, cause none of us here want to see you install the wrong thing and, possibly, get hurt or hurt someone else.
Yep, I'll chime in when you're come back is as dismissive as yours was. It didn't have to be and you admitted that and I'm cool with it.

We're here to help each other and when it comes to Safety, don't challange what anyone is saying. Instead, ask them why they know this or what their experience has been.
Like NoNeck said: "It's called Hot Rodding". It's also called Just F'in stupid if it's not safe.
And from what little I know of the subject, using Spacers/Adapters just isn't the way to go.

We're Hip.

You can like Rice with your Big Old Nasty Trucks all you want, just so long as you don't start asking "how do I install a Wing/Whale-Tail on my Tailgate?"

There you are.

Gary
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
Pop's C-10

Quote:

So you saying there wheels came off?

Last edited by Pop's C-10; 04-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Pop's C-10

Quote:

I see nothing wrong with his reply..he jus asked if he had actual knowdledge..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
sneaky

Quote:
A WHOLE LOT BIGGER.
68Jewel was trying to give you some good advice, cause none of us here want to see you install the wrong thing and, possibly, get hurt or hurt someone else.
Yep, I'll chime in when you're come back is as dismissive as yours was. It didn't have to be and you admitted that and I'm cool with it.

We're here to help each other and when it comes to Safety, don't challange what anyone is saying. Instead, ask them why they know this or what their experience has been.
Like NoNeck said: "It's called Hot Rodding". It's also called Just F'in stupid if it's not safe.
And from what little I know of the subject, using Spacers/Adapters just isn't the way to go.

We're Hip.

You can like Rice with your Big Old Nasty Trucks all you want, just so long as you don't start asking "how do I install a Wing/Whale-Tail on my Tailgate?"
Hey man, i appreciate your reply....i reread my reply and like i said i did sound dickish and i appologize. I do appreiciate the input too, but I've had experience in other forums/etc where people instantly say something wont work and it does. i just wanted to be sure i could bolt them up. trust me, if it seems as if its not safe it will not stay. i heard the same thing about the cragers i put on the old fury (unilug) and had no issues with them falling off like everyone said they would, lol.

cmon man, wings are out unless you are into time attack....i was thinking about adding a carbon fiber hood and a turbo????uh oh wait...that might be kinda badass. =)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
68jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 View Post
So you saying there wheels came off?
Yeah, they did. For two reasons....(1) They bought the cheapest spacers they could find. (2) They didn't follow the manufacturers instructions as to initial torqueing and retorqueing. These were two different guys on two totally seperate, unrelated incidents. As far as members saying they have them, they very well may. And nothing is wrong with that. It may have worked for them. But, it working for one person (them in particular), opposed to the millions who a company advises it against is two different thing to me. I am willing to try lots of things. This, I am not. Like I said...one has the right to do what he very well chooses and can choose what he feels is safe or not.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
96blazr

Quote:
Hey man, i appreciate your reply....i reread my reply and like i said i did sound dickish and i appologize. I do appreiciate the input too, but I've had experience in other forums/etc where people instantly say something wont work and it does. i just wanted to be sure i could bolt them up. trust me, if it seems as if its not safe it will not stay. i heard the same thing about the cragers i put on the old fury (unilug) and had no issues with them falling off like everyone said they would, lol.

cmon man, wings are out unless you are into time attack....i was thinking about adding a carbon fiber hood and a turbo????uh oh wait...that might be kinda badass. =)
I dig whatcha saying, but these guys know what they're talking about. Well, 99% of them do anyhow. I know a couple, who shall remain nameless, I wouldn't trust to light a candle, but I digress.

OH NOOOOO!!! Not the dreaded Carbon Fiber hood, Turbo Combo!!
Yep, I can see it know: Beemer wheels (Gold) and a Glowing exhaust Tip (Purple).

There you are.

Gary
Old 04-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #19
sneaky

Quote:
I dig whatcha saying, but these guys know what they're talking about. Well, 99% of them do anyhow. I know a couple, who shall remain nameless, I wouldn't trust to light a candle, but I digress.

OH NOOOOO!!! Not the dreaded Carbon Fiber hood, Turbo Combo!!
Yep, I can see it know: Beemer wheels (Gold) and a Glowing exhaust Tip (Purple).
lol!!!