The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Jeffs70

Air Ride Setup Idea.

ok a quick question for you pros out there on the air ride. I went to a wrecking yard today and he had a nice clean s10 with air ride and I took a close look at how the guy put it together, I also know that when doing my setup I do not want the bags to share any air as far as air transfer while in motion and around corners do to body roll. what I am wondering is in the quick diagram I made if this looks doable for just a FB setup. I thought about doing the 6 Valve setup but why couldnt a 4 Valve setup do the same as long as the bags do not share the air?

Name:  AirRideSetupThought.jpg
Views: 6092
Size:  35.9 KB
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Air Ride Setup Idea.

You will still have air transfer between the bags. Look at your outlet line coming off the tank. There is nothing to stop air transfer between the bags from side to side.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-28-2011 at 09:41 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Jeffs70

oops my bad yes I see what your saying now thank you for correcting me N2TRUX and getting my head clear on this

Last edited by Jeffs70; 04-28-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

***************** has diagrams for 6 and 8 valve setups....6 is the least you can do and prevent air transfer.....other than using ball valves on a manual setup
Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
LEEVON

That would work if you put one-way check valves at the T to each bag but I'm not sure if those are widely available and if so, reliable.

For simplicity sake a manual paddle valve system is cheap and easy and you get 4 corner control, fill and dump on the same valve. Pretty basic.

Last edited by LEEVON; 04-29-2011 at 08:59 AM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
***************** has diagrams for 6 and 8 valve setups....6 is the least you can do and prevent air transfer.....other than using ball valves on a manual setup
FYI- Suicide Doors folded and is is now reorganized under the Quality Air Ride name. Here are the diagrams that you mention. They are a great visual aid.

Jeffs70- If you can't afford at least a 6 valve set up, I suggest saving till you can. Forum Vendor Way2low2 has been running a special on a simple paddle valve system thats very reasonably priced. Check out our Suspension Marketplace for great suspension deals, or our Vendor Marketplacefor other great deals.

[IMG]http://*******************/files/how_to/wire-diagrams/6valve.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://*******************/files/how_to/wire-diagrams/8valve.gif[/IMG]

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
FYI- Suicide Doors folded and is is now reorganized under the Quality Air Ride name.....
Wow.... I wonder WTF's going on over there?? Is it like Air Ride Technologies changing to Ride tech or something worse?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
hotrodhomi

It's just a name change from what I've read.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Jeffs70

wow that is just the information I needed Thanks N2TRUX and that is one smokin deal way2lo2 has going on here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457300
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs70 View Post
wow that is just the information I needed Thanks N2TRUX and that is one smokin deal way2lo2 has going on here
Keep in mind that's just a manually controlled system & why it's less expensive. It's better than no tank & filling the bags like a tire, but not as high end as the set-ups w/pre-sets & such. It requires running more airlines into the cab & it exhausts the 'dumped air' in there as well.

This type set-up is cost effective though.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 6 valve diagram also transfer air in the rear?

Like LEEVON said, your diagram will work if you put 8 check valves in, however it will require you buy dual port bags or 4 more T's and 8 more check valves for single port bags. With this set up, it would be easy to add more valves at a later time too.

The paddles are nice and cost effective alternative though, as long as you don't mind the speed of them.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
colin_havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 6 valve diagram also transfer air in the rear?

Like LEEVON said, your diagram will work if you put 8 check valves in, however it will require you buy dual port bags or 4 more T's and 8 more check valves for single port bags. With this set up, it would be easy to add more valves at a later time too.

The paddles are nice and cost effective alternative though, as long as you don't mind the speed of them.
Yes it does transfer air, as I have a 6 valve setup on my 67. Its not a big issue, but I do have a little lean when I climb my 215 lb ass in there to drive. With having mine set up on just 2 switches (one front and one rear, both seitches will do up and down) and only the 6 valves, I cannot correct for my weight so I have a little "gangsta lean" when I drive it. Its not bad, but I notice it. Also, I dont really notice any issues when taking corners, however Im not road corsing or autocrossing my truck either.

I could add teh check valves and fittings I would need to be able to do the 6 valve setup and not have any weight transfer, but i would not be able to adjust each corner indivually for passenger or cargo weight, as well as it would actually cost the same or more as doing an 8 valve setup. I will add in the 2 other valves, just have other things going on and too lasy to do it at this time.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Jeffs70

Quote:
I agree I noticed the 6 valve has a T that looks as if it was drawn up wrong like I originally posted and transfers air. now if the Valve was moved down the line it would stop that. ???

Name:  6valve.gif
Views: 9249
Size:  39.2 KB

Last edited by Jeffs70; 04-29-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
Jeffs70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Keep in mind that's just a manually controlled system & why it's less expensive. It's better than no tank & filling the bags like a tire, but not as high end as the set-ups w/pre-sets & such. It requires running more airlines into the cab & it exhausts the 'dumped air' in there as well.

This type set-up is cost effective though.
Thanks for the Clarification SCOTI, I am not to worried about having a Manual setup. I would be putting the paddles on my console and doing it that way when I get in and drive. as long as they are not totally slow at raise and lower im cool with it. and I right now just want something to get me by so I can soon drive my truck. and then later down the road do a better setup.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks for the Clarification SCOTI, I am not to worried about having a Manual setup. I would be putting the paddles on my console and doing it that way when I get in and drive. as long as they are not totally slow at raise and lower im cool with it. and I right now just want something to get me by so I can soon drive my truck. and then later down the road do a better setup.
This type of set-up is what I use. Cheap & effective since I don't 'play' w/the settings. I typically only adjust when loading the truck w/additional cargo.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
kev2809
low n' slo

the reason why the rear is not a big deal to t-off is because it doesnt turn like the front. when you turn from one side to the other, the body rolls a lot in the front, pushing the air to the other bag. the rear doesnt really do that...most of the roll comes from the front.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]

Last edited by kev2809; 04-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
I agree I noticed the 6 valve has a T that looks as if it was drawn up wrong like I originally posted and transfers air. now if the Valve was moved down the line it would stop that. ???

Attachment 739398
moving the dump valve between the 2 bags wouldnt work. that valve only dumps the air out, which is why its on the side of the fitting. if you put it in the middle, it would dump the air into the other bag lol

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
Jeffs70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
moving the dump valve between the 2 bags wouldnt work. that valve only dumps the air out, which is why its on the side of the fitting. if you put it in the middle, it would dump the air into the other bag lol
LOL Now that would be messed up.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
Jeffs70

Quote:
This type of set-up is what I use. Cheap & effective since I don't 'play' w/the settings. I typically only adjust when loading the truck w/additional cargo.
Yeah I wouldnt be playing around with them much other then lift to drive and lower to park it. im not to much into wanting a toy just I am into the looks and ride.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #20
87 dually burb
my short bus

I'm doing mine with 2 fill valves and dump at each corner
still 6 valves but better control

may have to over fill and dump air to adjust ride height
87 dually burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Wow.... I wonder WTF's going on over there?? Is it like Air Ride Technologies changing to Ride tech or something worse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post
It's just a name change from what I've read.
I think the technical term is "Financial Reorganization". Definitely more than the product expansion that motivated the Ride Tech name change.
Quote:
wow that is just the information I needed Thanks N2TRUX and that is one smokin deal way2lo2 has going on here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457300
It's a simple low buck system that gets the job done with no frills. Boris (Way2low2) has installed that same system on many of his shop projects and is willing to put his reputation behind it for reliability.
Quote:
Yes, it does. Not as much as a 4 valve system,but it still does.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 dually burb View Post
I'm doing mine with 2 fill valves and dump at each corner, still 6 valves but better control
How is that going to offer better control? You will still have air transfer and it will wallow like an old pig going down the road.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #23
67c10rustbuket

Body roll is mostly in the front. a 6 valve setup would work fine if you dont want to be silly (like me ) and do side to side. the front gets a little silly especially without a sway bar when running a 4 valve system. the only thing is gas tank location, like in a newer truck having an 8 valve setup is nice to offset the weight of a full tank of gas. but if you have an older truck with a centered gas tank you dont have to worry about that.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #24
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Body roll is mostly in the front.....
That depends on way to many factors to make such a broad statement. While you may find it acceptable in your application, that doesn't mean it's a good idea in general. The body style (ie:truck, Blazer, or Burb) along with the year, and suspension set up all play a role on determining what system will work best.

In general, anything less than an 8 valve system is a compromise. You might be willing to accept that compromise, but that doesn't make it any thing more than what it is.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-30-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #25
Shane
Account Suspended

ken is right on the money ... body roll in front = body roll in rear.

if it happens at one end then it's happening at the other end. basic physics.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote