The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
ubtripn

68 Rag Joint Question or Help!?!?!?!?!

So during my conversion to power steering I deduced from the threads that I need to replace my rag joint and maybe the Steering Coupler (apparently those are different things or a rag joint is a compenent of a steering coupler) So I have some questions since I have never done it before.

1. I read the manual Saginaw (which was on the truck) had a smaller rag joint than the one needed for powersteering. Is this true? I got the bigger of the two rag joints available from Napa for my 73 power steering steering gear I am going to use and it is the same diameter as the one that was on the Saginaw.

2. I have a series of pics below of where I am at. Is the steering coupler the metal piece that fits over the shaft on the steering gear. My Saginaw has teeth all around the shaft. My 73 PS Steering Gear has a flat spot. Can I expand the metal knuckle that slips over the shaft and make it work if the teeth mate up? I want to make no comprimises since it involves steering my truck but I am apparently missing some piece or some knowledge. (Whenever that happens it usually means more money.)

3. Is there a series of pics anywhere on just how to replace the rag joint and put it back together with the new rubber piece?

4. IF I have to go with a bigger steering coupler (which I assume is the metal pice that goes around the shaft then won't I have to change the weird piece on the end of my steering column (I included a pic of that as well.)

Any help or simplification/calrification would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Name:  2011-04-29 17.29.36.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  2011-04-29 17.30.01.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  22.1 KB

Name:  2011-04-29 17.31.30.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  38.1 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by ubtripn; 04-30-2011 at 10:05 AM.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
ubtripn

Re: 68 Rag Joint Question or Help!?!?!?!?!

Please can somebody help ? =)

Last edited by ubtripn; 04-30-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
Livrat
Member #1049

I have always refered to a "rag joint" as the entire assembly, Coupler and rubber piece as they come as one piece from the factory, it appears that NAPA has a "repair kit" called a rag joint to just replace the worn item.
The manual steering "coupler" you have pictured has a smaller diameter spline and no "flat spot indexer" than a power steering one and will not fit your 73 PS box, You may be able to spread it open to but I would not go that route,
The end on the steering column is the same for either and will bolt directly to either rag joint/coupler used,
Personally I would find a good used coupler/rag joint off of any power steering box that will bolt onto your 73 and then install your new rag joint repair kit on it,
You should be able to find the coupler needed off any power steering equiped 68-80 GM truck/van and possibly some GM cars up to 1977 or so.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #4

Looks as though you are going to have to dimple the frame, or are you planning on using spacers........
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
long69

i would agree that it appears that you purchased a repair kit . you will need to get the correct replacement for that box and should be good to go. your gunna luv power steering.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
ubtripn

Thanks a ton guys, the frame has a dimple I think it just doesn't show that well. Going to hit the junkyards today for a pulley and proper rag joint. Bought the pump and resevoir from O'Riellys new for 39 bucks, they price matched Autozone that used to be good but has crappy parts now. (In my area.) I also bought the hoses. I purchased the pump new so I wouldn't have to deal with the sae to metric hose hassle. (Pump was in the computer for amy year of steering gear.)