The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
ubtripn

Please help!!

So during my conversion to power steering I deduced from the threads that I need to replace my rag joint and maybe the Steering Coupler (apparently those are different things or a rag joint is a compenent of a steering coupler) So I have some questions since I have never done it before.

1. I read the manual Saginaw (which was on the truck) had a smaller rag joint than the one needed for powersteering. Is this true? I got the bigger of the two rag joints available from Napa for my 73 power steering steering gear I am going to use and it is the same diameter as the one that was on the Saginaw.

2. I have a series of pics below of where I am at. Is the steering coupler the metal piece that fits over the shaft on the steering gear. My Saginaw has teeth all around the shaft. My 73 PS Steering Gear has a flat spot. Can I expand the metal knuckle that slips over the shaft and make it work if the teeth mate up? I want to make no comprimises since it involves steering my truck but I am apparently missing some piece or some knowledge. (Whenever that happens it usually means more money.)

3. Is there a series of pics anywhere on just how to replace the rag joint and put it back together with the new rubber piece?

4. If I have to go with a bigger steering coupler (which I assume is the metal pice that goes around the shaft then won't I have to change the weird piece on the end of my steering column (I included a pic of that as well.)

Any help or simplification/clarification would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

(I posted this ealier and I did not want to repost but I must have got up to early to work on this.)
Name:  2011-04-29 17.29.19.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  39.4 KB[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  2011-04-29 17.31.30.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  38.1 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Last edited by ubtripn; 04-30-2011 at 03:23 PM.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Re: Please help!!

It should just slip on. The only problem that you will have is possibly steering wheel centering. (The flat spot is for clocking the steering wheel) However that is easy fix by repossitioning the steering wheel. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys

Last edited by Classic Heartbeat; 04-30-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
ubtripn

Awesome, so I can use that knuckle (if that is what its called) along with my old rag hardware and the new rubber disc and be good to go? Should I position the flatspot where the bolt gap is on the knuckle?

Last edited by ubtripn; 04-30-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
ubtripn

I forgot to add that the steering coupler shown is the one off my Saginaw. And is it a problem if the pump leaks out the shaft end??? It will be tilted upwards so I don't know, oil has been coming out in small amounts.

Last edited by ubtripn; 04-30-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

If the steering gear leaks fluid when the power steering fluid is not being oumped in, then it will leak when under the pressure of the pump.
You can possition the flat spot where the bolt passes through the rag joing assembly. WES

You may want to measure the inside diameter of your rag joint assembly against the outside diameter of the steering gear. I seem to remember that the manual gears had smaller diameter input shafts. If that is the case you may have to go with a 76 or newer steering gear with the smaller input shaft.
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
ubtripn

Thanks Wes, I found a reman 76, I read somewhere on the site that the shaft would fit my existing coupler, I think I'm gonna go for it. The junkyard I get my parts from gives a 3 month warranty so I won't be out anything. Thx again for the info.