The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
pritch

Now my brakes are really done. Finally.

WooHoo! One more thing off the list. When I got this truck a month ago, the only thing keeping it from the road was the brakes. Since I had a bunch of stuff that I'm not using, left over from my Panel build, I decided to to do them all. First, the front. When I dismantled my Panel, I had just put all new brakes on it. Since I went with front discs, I removed the spindles-brakes and all-and set them aside. I decided to use these on the new truck, so I got some new upper and lower ball joints and then installed these along with the spindles. That all went just fine, except I've been fighting lousy weather the whole time (I'm working outside since my shop is currently full). Then I converted it over to power brakes, again with all the stuff that came off the Panel. On to the rears, I had to get new shoes and wheel cylinders and the little springs that go on the E-brake spreader bar-those always seem to be broken-and got that all put together, except it was pointed out to me that I wasn't paying close enough attention and put the driver's side shoes on reversed. So I fixed that today and then replaced all the rear brake lines, again with left over Panel parts. I did a preliminary bleed job using the method of tubing from the bleeders into little jars of brake fluid. I got all the old fluid out and clean and new coming out. I didn't have a helper today, so I still will have to do a final bleed in the traditional manner, but right now I have good brake pedal, so it's all good
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Now my brakes are really done. Finally.

awesome....love it when a plan comes together

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote