The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
tucsonjwt

Washers Won't Turn Off - Not Switch

My windshield washers would not turn off so I installed a new Delco wiper switch. The washers would still not turn off. I took the cover off the washer motor and worked the lever on the plastic cam for the washer pump back and forth several times - then the washer worked properly. I installed the old switch and it is still working properly. As a side benefit, the pulse function now works properly - wipers move as long as you hold the switch to the left, stop when you release the switch.
Moral of this story - tinker around a bit before your order new parts, especially electrical parts.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Washers Won't Turn Off - Not Switch

Ive had the same kinda thing happen with my old 86

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
DetroitDan

Same exact problem here, I just switched my wiper switch for another one I got off ebay, didn't fix it. Can you elaborate a little as to where to take what cover off and move what arm? Maybe a picture?
Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
barry h.

I think that motor switches on and off with ground circut,the motor is most likley grounding inside causing the problem.
barry h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

1) Very carefully, pull off the two connectors on the windshield washer pump - its is surrounded by a black plastic (flexible) cover in an irregular rectangular shape. Don't yank the double blade connector like I did - it will split into two pieces There are releases to push in the middle of the connectors. Unfortunately, the release on my double blade connector would not release.
2) The plastic cover is held in place by a pin with a notch in the center. Work around that pin with a scratch awl or very small screwdriver until the cover pops free of the pin.
3) There is a small lever which contacts a cam like pin (for lack of a better term) in the center of the motor. Move that lever carefully a little away from the cam using a small screwdriver. It should move away from the cam with a little tension in it, but don't force it.
4) Hook the connectors back up and operate the washer with the switch on dash. The lever should move with the rotation of the cam and the washers should work.
There was quite a bit of grease in the area of the cam on my pump, but I did not re-grease the cam again. This was a genuine AC Delco pump I installed about 8 years ago, so I think they have a defect.
This reminds me of a dishwasher motor. If your dishwasher won't run, just tap the motor and it will start running again. For some reason those motors hang up also.
I would still go back to a Delco motor and pump assembly if you can't get yours to work. I would check out OE warehouse and OE HQ for genuine Delco parts.
I would post pics but I don't want to take a chance on unhooking my broken connector again - I might have to buy an new connector to replace my taped up one.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
DetroitDan

no luck with that. guess it's time for a new motor. P.O.d because the wipers work, just can't shut them off. I'd feel better replacing the motor if they didn't work at all.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

If you are going to replace the pump and motor assembly anyway, I would be a little more aggressive with that lever on the cam, and tap the motor in various places.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
rayfinseats

Buy an aftermarket add-on pump. Cheap and twice the pressure.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
DetroitDan

No luck with the new motor either. Pulled it back out and re-installed the old motor. I think there is keyed power bleeding into the harness somewhere, but I just couldn't see where. It looks intact under the hood, under the dash it all goes up into the harness like it should, but otherwise it does look like every other old truck I've had, with a bunch of wiring that's been added on over the years. I wish somebody could please tell me what is going on, I am getting really frustrated by this. About ready to cut the wires and run toggle switches in the cab. It sure is a pain getting out and opening the hood to turn the wipers on and off when you need them.
Shouldn't be this difficult. Help!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
tucsonjwt

You installed a new Delco motor and pump assembly?
The washer pump should only get power when the wiper motor is on, so if the washers won't turn off I would suspect that the power from the motor to the pump is not turning off when it should, but I don't know how the wiring works. You could pull off the harness to the pump when it won't shut off to confirm that the problem is external to the pump or inside the pump/motor assembly.
It is possible that you bought a bad pump/motor assembly.
If your washers were working properly until recently, I would try to think of what changed just prior to the washers not working.
You could remove the wiper/washer assembly from the truck and hook it to an independent 12 volt power source to verify that the assembly is working properly and the problem is in the truck wiring.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
DetroitDan

It isnt with the washer, it's the wipers. It does the exact same thing with my old motor and the new reman motor, same as it did when I replaced the wiper switch. If I unplug the lower-most three wire plug it stops, as soon as I plug it in they come on again. That harness has to be getting power when it shouldn't be, I just can't see where it's bleeding in.

Last edited by DetroitDan; 05-23-2011 at 08:54 AM.
DetroitDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
75deLUX

Hi, I'm a first time poster, and little-while "lurker". I'm hoping someone can help me out with a washer pump problem. I've had it replaced twice, and they put on these cheap pumps that work for about a month and a half and then die.
This time when it "died" what it does is the pump runs constantly when the wiper blades are on. At this point, I just don't want to bother with trying to fund a pump that works right now, I'd like to just disable power to the washer pump without disabling power to the wipers. Is that possible? When I "unplug" the wiper pump by removing the wire harness that goes directly to it, it STILL works with the wiper blades on. Is that possibly an indicator that they did a little fancy re-wiring when they installed the new aftermarket pump?

The aftermarket pumps are just cheap crap compared to the original, is
what the problem is there. I can tell by looking at it, it's a mechanical
failure because plastic breaking and being worn, and metal parts
that don't fit exactly right so quickly stop being able to work correctly
because they've worn quickly due to improper fit.

Someday I'll put a new OEM part on again, but for now, I'd just like
to disable electrical power to the pump. I've unplugged the hoses
but it still makes an AWFUL clunking sound when the wipers are on,
cause it's trying to pump and it's mechanically a mess in there.

Thanks!
75deLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

As I recall, if you have a 75 you have separate washer pump and motor. If you have an 81-87 you have an integral pump and wiper motor, as far as I can tell. I would check oewarehouse.com and oehq.com for oem AC delco prices for pump and/or wiper motor for your vehicle. As I stated above, when my washers would not turn off it was the lever stuck on the cam of the washer motor, but I don't know if that is your problem - if you are going to disable it anyway why not pop the cover and take a look see. I have learned that oem AC/Delco or GM is the only way to go for electrical parts, even thought they are not perfect either. I think I just bought a Delco washer motor/pump for my old 73 and 76 and replaced it easily. Look at the Classic parts catalog online to see what parts are available for your truck - should have pictures also, or try Rock auto for pictures.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

this is where the reach tool and a sock comes in

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
DetroitDan

my solution is a toggle switch right next to the wiper switch on the dash. two wires go to the fusebox, one in each side of where the wiper fuse goes (leave fuse out). Inline fuse on one side.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
75deLUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
As I stated above, when my washers would not turn off it was the lever stuck on the cam of the washer motor, but I don't know if that is your problem - if you are going to disable it anyway why not pop the cover and take a look see.
I have popped the cover, looked, and can verify that the POS will
not ever work again because of cheap metal, and cheap plastic parts.

Again, just need to disable 'til I buy a decent OEM. Thanks for the
websites you mentioned. Will def. look into them.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
J Knight

Wireing is a little more complicated on wipers or blower motors because of the variable speed.

The tipicle path of electrical curent: Example headlights,
Alt to fuse box to switch to headlights to ground.

The path of electrical curent for wipers motor:
Alt to fuse box to wiper motor to switch to ground.

You wiper motor always has power to it, when you turn on your switch it completes the ground and they turn on.

So it sounds to me you may have a harness problem. maybe the plug in for the wiper switch or the wiper or the washer.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDan View Post
my solution is a toggle switch right next to the wiper switch on the dash. two wires go to the fusebox, one in each side of where the wiper fuse goes (leave fuse out). Inline fuse on one side.
been there and done that!
lol now the 78 only wipes when the button is held in...switch

Last edited by motornut; 06-21-2011 at 12:16 PM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
75deLUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
So it sounds to me you may have a harness problem. maybe the plug in for the wiper switch or the wiper or the washer.
I don't have a harness problem. The problem is that the
aftermarket washer pump is a broken POS that runs
constantly when the wipers are on, because of mechanical
failure due to cheap plastic and poor quality metal.

All I was asking was how to stop electrical power to the
washer pump and still be able to use wiper blade motor
until I get a decent OEM washer pump.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #20
1971 Rusty

Hello - First time on the forums. I have a issue that when I turn on my wipers the pump motor runs constantly. I just replaced the pump with an LCM part. I think this is because I did not change the cam. I thought the metal one on the washer motor would be better than the plastic one that came in the kit.

Suggestions??
1971 Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote